• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What do you do for a living?

Re: What do you do for a living?

Self employed contractor since 1995. Times are a little tight right now but still hanging in alot better than most contractors at this time. Before that was a Heavy equipment operator for a large company building highways in Arizona, Nevada, California, and New Mexico.

Firefighter

I am currently trying to get a friend to go in with me on building the worlds largest chain of midget stripclubs.

I wuz a Flight line/Flight Test Electrician on the FA-22, until I retired a few years ago. I highly recommend retirement.
I get up when I want to, fish when I want to, and shoot when I want to.

im an iron worker. i piece together americas skylines!!

Now I'm a mainframe programmer. For the first 18 years I could not wait to get to work. Now, not so much. Maintaining code written by people from India is not much fun. Forty eight months and I retire. Before this I was Asst. Manager of Accounting at a small retail chain of stores, Saks Fifth Ave. in New York.

Now my problem is what am I going to do once I retire. Mechanic here on the hide said stay away from becoming a wrench. I wanted to go back to school to be a certified Porsche wrench. Probably go back to trade school to learn to weld.

The thought of being retired scares the snot out of me.

Maxwell

I am a professinal kitten thrower and part time pro air runner.

Automotive Service Writer. Been doing it over 20 years, no bennies, no sick days, decent pay, and an IRA that tanked recently. Don't think I'm going to retire for a
l-o-o-o-n-g time and still don't have a GAP.
Stay the hell outta the car business.

1911fan

I work for the railroad, just another employee who doesn't see the "Big Picture". And I don't own a GAP yet either.

Retired(haha) Infantryman from the Australian Army

Last edited:

Dart thrower....tell Oil & Gas companies exactly where to drill their wells and to what depth, then when their done, tell them if they were successful or not.

I'm a full time student finishing my BA in Economics next month. I'm going to law school next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a former scuba diving instructor turned home improvement contractor. I can't say that now would be the best time to get into the building trade, seeing as how everybody is broke and most peoples' houses aren't worth what they owe on them. I've been lucky to keep 3-6 months worth of work lined up ahead of time, and I do a lot of different things (taping, painting, windows/doors, plumbing & light electrical, kitchen/bath remodels, trim work,etc...) It took me a while to learn all that stuff, but it helps me keep busy. I work for myself so if I want a new "toy", I can usually put in some weekend time and make the extra cash. The down side is no benefits, at the end of the day, I still have work to do, and if I run out of work, I can't collect unemployment.
I guess you have to take the good with the bad. </div></div>

Heard that. Same here, seems like a fellow has to do it all to stay busy in this climate. Kengel, run, don't walk, to a good school and pick an occupation that can't be outsourced or taken over by immigrant labor. I was working on Fort Leonard last year, doing electrical work on the housing retrofit there. Prevailing wage scale there for electricians is down to 12.10/hr., due to the influx of immigrant labor. We were the only Americans on that job. Everyone else was Russian, Polish, and Bosnian, most of whom could not speak English. The medical field looked good, although who knows, with the new healthcare system. Good luck with whatever you do, and may you be the owner of many good boomsticks in your time!

Machinist, manual and CNC. Also do some sheetmetal forming, and welding. I guess you could say I am an all around metal worker.....I dont have a gap, But I love what I do!

I fix 9-1-1 call centers.
Computers, telephony, bells, whistles...
Keeps you on your toes!

Corrections officer. Love the work, pay is enough to keep the house for now. Terrible time to be employed in government. They are always lookin to trim some fat off the already anorexic budget.

Paramedic. If I had it to do all over, I'd have stayed active duty Air Force.

I am a Maint Tech for a bakery. I went to skool for Elct. Engineer and Mech. Engineer, cert up to 13,200 elctricity and schooled in Fanuc Robotics. As long as everyone needs bread and crackers to eat I think I will have a job been doing it for 9.5 years and still looking for a job lol
crazy.gif

Systems Engineer for one of the big software companies, real estate investor, and currently trying to figure out a way to make money buying/selling/trading/collecting the things I love... Cars, Guns, and Guitars... so I dont have to work for the man anymore!

I play with missiles...

Okay maybe not directly with missiles but the things that shoot them.

Aviation Maintenance Tech for the last 17 years. Repair and overhaul helicopter transmissions for our military.

Certified Surgical Technician, I set up and maintain the sterile field before and during surgery. assist the surgeon during the procedure( pass instruments, provide retraction and exposure, etc), and clean up the mess at the end. Before that, masonry construction for about 10yrs, along w/ fugitive recovery and adult night club security. All that after serving as an artillery canon crewman int the US Army.

I teach Army, Marines and Navy soldiers how to fly Unmanned aerial vehicles. I like the career alot, I'm just not a big fan of southern AZ. I wish I could do this job back in MN. I'm also in the CO National Guard.

Full time student also

I'm a professional seat cover lookin, gear jammin, horn honkin, window watchin, knees in the breeze, heavy haulin, mile turnin, cb yackin, state jumpin, diesel burnin, DOT hatin, road dog white trash trucker.

I sell Aesthetic Lasers to Dermatologists and Plastics Surgeons that rid you of hair, tattoos, acne, and a bunch of other unsightly things.

I work for a company that trains IED and bomb detection dogs(mostly labs) for the Military. The best company I have ever worked for and even though I have never served, I feel like I make a difference in the fight.

Used to be in automotive, that tanked like a toliet...

Welder for Terex utilities, love to weld and make steel targets when nobodys looking you wouldn't belive what scrap steel this company throws away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I suggest finding something that makes you happy, because if your happy you'll be a good are at your job and the money will come, if your chasing the $$$ your gonna be unhappy and suck at everything. </div></div>Wise words.

Retired, existing solely on US Government payments/paybacks of various sorts. In essence, Uncle Sam has converted me into a government subsidized professional shooter and model airplane flyer.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cavscout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. </div></div>

That's funny... since I constantly hear "Our customer...." and I'm a Stress(ed) Analysis Engineer for a large aerospace company.

Greg-

When you put it that way, I'm a bit jealous.

i print labels full time for a large poultry company.
i sell booze part time to drunks and homeless people in the ghetto part of town. i also own and operate a decal/graffix company in the little bit of off time i have. i dont enjoy the full time job but it pays the bills. the liquor store is interesting and puts some spending money in my pocket. my side business funds most of my toys but nothing like a GAP.
i wish i had gone to school for something but didnt. now im turning 28 in less than two weeks and have nothing more than a few guns and a isuzu hombre to my name. i can blame part of that on bankruptcy and divorce from my ex wife. although the divorce was caused by depression and alcoholism due to not liking my job and losing the one i did enjoy.