• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What do you do in the off season?

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    If you guys are like me, you probably wish it was still October or November. Springtime can be sort of a let down if you are a hunter, but there are still plenty of fun things to do. I never like putting my gun away, and if you guys are like me in that aspect as well, you might enjoy this:

Why does it have to be over? Your at the end of breeding season for coyotes where I’m at. Guys are killing them left and right. Me not so much. I’ve caught the bigger largemouth bass around this time of year. It’s slow going but every fish is 5-7lbs.

Own 350 acres in the mountains so there is always something that needs shooting.

Ground hog hunting April till mid September, deer season mid September-December. Between December & April is spent reloading & buying a bunch of SHIT hunting/shooting related I really didn't need

"Neither snow , nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night (at least till 4 the range closes at 5) stays this shooter from the swift completion of their appointed rounds at the range . only hospital stays and the inability to breath are an excuse to not go to the range well my only allowable excuses I guess death in the family is pretty good and sub zero windy days not going to try that one again 1 shot run to car warm up repeat was pretty stupid I nearly forgot torrential downpours also not the smartest idea lightning and a metal gun you in a field felt like the priest in Caddy shack. lol

I practice my belly crawling and disappearing tactics!

Dialing in gear, bows, rifles. Practicing calling. Working out.

Time is right now to figure out what you need to fix or get ready on your bow or rifle. Going through packs and gear and planning for what you need come Sept.

Reactions: powdahound76
    "Off season" around here mostly means wild boar (culling of younglings), crow and similar birds, and for some more weeks we still have the beaver hunt (not joking). But I really like fishing so spring time means a lot of fishing for me and my daughter.

Reactions: Ronws
    What is this off season you speak of?

December '21
    bigasswarthog.jpg

June '21
    image-from-ios-13.jpg

... and quite a few more. June was a busy month.

Last edited:
    Hogs are 365, coyotes too around here.

Jan-Mar is "load development season" for my hunting rifles, since I can stretch them out gathering DOPE without grass being in the way.

Cold bore confirmed my newest 7mm RM load yesterday with the 150gr Nosler ABLR and H4831SC. Same drop data as my 150gr ELD-X /IMR-4451 to at least 385 yards, so that simplified things. Only zero change is .1 mil right too. Group at 250 was 1-3/4".

20220319_153411.jpg

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    Spring is always busy for us, shed hunting is awesome especially for young hunters, morals are right around the corner, and so is crappie fishin' !

And I imagine most people are busy during the off season clearing trails and shooting lanes. Since I have free time only on the weekends so off season is time to sight in new scopes and just practice my shooting basics.

I have grown to like spring. Far fewer people in the woods and a good time to be out. Bear season is about a month away, but I never shoot them. I will shoot a few matches, and just generally shoot everything more, including my bows. Really started to enjoy shooting my recurve.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
    Well….
    Hog Hunting
    Turkey Hunting
    Raccoon Hunting
    Shed Huntig
    Scouting
    Bush hogging
    Beaver hunting (flat tails)
    Stand Moving
    Chase buddies for lease payments
    Food Plot Prep
    Planting
    Stand Preparation

Alas the season is here and I can relax deer hunting!

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade