• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What do you guys think the Glock 10mm..?

didithurt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2011
Illinois
I've shot quite a few pistols, I really like Glock, but have not yet fired the 10mm pistol. I'm used to .45 automatics and the recent sell off of all my weapons has turned into a new purchase spree. I have a RRA LAR-8, and a Ruger .357, but I'm stuck on a side arm. I like the Glock for many reasons, Mag. cap. not a lot of extra crap and always reliable. But the .45 drops off at around 125 to 150 yards, would the 10mm be a viable option as I have the .357 for a back up..?

Re: What do you guys think the Glock 10mm..?

i found the 10mm in a glock to be less than pleasurable to shoot. had the oportunity to fire a colt delta elite and i can say that is a fine gun.

Nothing wrong with a glock 10. Have one and love it. What questions do you have about it.

Nothing wrong with a Glock 20. I've had a gen-2 for years. If you get one, put in an aftermarket Wolff recoil spring, either 20 or 22 lbs. The stock recoil spring is woefully inadequate.

Love my G29. Not bad to shoot, depends what you're used to. I put full power 155 and 180gr loads through mine all the time.

Jrb... First, thanks for the reply, second I was wondering about the "C" model with the compensator. I had a Desert Eagle, then had it MagNaPorted and the gas system was never the same. Now I know it's obviously not the same system as the Desert Eagle but Nimzoblanca brought up the question I was getting to...
Have you ever had any issues with the recoil spring..? I really love the Glock 10mm and would be getting it for a "first Pull" side arm with a Ruger revolver for a back-up. I won't shoot anything smaller than a .45 for a side arm. but REALLY LOVE the cool factor of the 10mm. they are sooo potent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love my G29. Not bad to shoot, depends what you're used to. I put full power 155 and 180gr loads through mine all the time. </div></div>

COOL BEANS... haha..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: didithurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever had any issues with the recoil spring..?</div></div>
The stock recoil spring in my Gen-2 G20 was 17 lbs. Way too light for full power 10mm loads. I don't know if the current generation is still using the 17 lb spring.

My max-power 10mm reloads were pushing a 180g bullet at over 1200 fps with the standard barrel (600 ft-lbs of energy) or 1300 fps (674 ft-lbs) with the optional 6" hunting barrel. Way too much for the wimpy 17-lb spring. Switching to a 22-lb Wolff spring and stainless guide rod makes a world of difference. Makes the gun a lot more pleasant to shoot and prevents it from beating itself to death. If I remember correctly, the Wolff spring lasted several thousand rounds before I had to replace it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: didithurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever had any issues with the recoil spring..?</div></div>
The stock recoil spring in my Gen-2 G20 was 17 lbs. Way too light for full power 10mm loads. I don't know if the current generation is still using the 17 lb spring.

My max-power 10mm reloads were pushing a 180g bullet at over 1200 fps with the standard barrel (600 ft-lbs of energy) or 1300 fps (674 ft-lbs) with the optional 6" hunting barrel. Way too much for the wimpy 17-lb spring. Switching to a 22-lb Wolff spring and stainless guide rod makes a world of difference. Makes the gun a lot more pleasant to shoot and prevents it from beating itself to death. If I remember correctly, the Wolff spring lasted several thousand rounds before I had to replace it. </div></div>

AWESOME... That is exactly what I was hearing, the gun would beat itself to death. The spring is made by wolf..? I can find the spring on their website. Thanks so much..! I really wanted to buy the G20C but was on the fence about it due to the self abuse history it had... NOW it is a sure sale.
Have you heard about any issues with the front sights darkening from the blast through compensator slots..? If it were to happen I suppose a little solvent would clean it up, I'm going to go with the Trijicon sights.
Thanks again Nimzoblanca..!

The 10mm is an awesome round , I don't have any experience with it Glock only in 1911's .

What exactly are you going to be shooting at 125-150yd's with you "sidearm"
the .45acp is capable of some pretty spectacular long range shooting in the right hand's.

You also already have a 357 "for backup" don't underestimate the 357mag it is avery well documented man stopper as well as a good all round hunting cartridge .

Really like the 10mm, The Glock not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: didithurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you heard about any issues with the front sights darkening from the blast through compensator slots..? If it were to happen I suppose a little solvent would clean it up, I'm going to go with the Trijicon sights.</div></div>
I have no experience with the compensated models, so no idea there. I wouldn't be surprised if the sights get dirty though. Can probably be cleaned with a mild solvent and toothbrush, but that would drive me nuts. The compensator slots can also make it "interesting" when shooting from a close-quarters, weapon retention stance (gun held tight against your ribs), so I shy away from compensated models.

I have Trijicons on 3 of my Glocks, so I'm a big fan of them. Also consider the Tru-Glow sights with fiber optic. I have them on a Glock 21SF and they've replaced the Trijicons as my favorite sight. In addition to night visibility, the fiber optic insert makes them glow in daytime. Very quick to pick up. Just another option out there!

I had a 27 compensated and will never do it again for my concealed or duty gun. Maybe on a just target gun or something like that but shooting at night was blinding!

Been running a Glock 20 for years. First bought it when I lived up in MT as a woods gun for bears and 2 legged critters. It makes more sense to me in this role than a 6 shot .44 due to the fact that I shoot other models of Glocks regularly. The Glock is also lighter and 15 rounds of 10mm is very comforting.

Does it recoil more than other Glocks? Well sure, but it's not horrible. After a couple hundred full power rounds it gets a little annoying but not terrible. You can always buy a drop in .40 S&W conversion barrel for practice....or better than that a Glock 20/21 .22 conversion kit.

The two that I've owned never jam, are very accurate and take a beating like no other gun would. I've hit steel at 200 but I am very familiar with the gun and it wasn't every time. At 100 I can't do headshots or anything crazy but you wouldn't want to be standing in the open when I let rounds fly.

I had a 1st gen G20, Accuracy was OK but not up to what I wanted so I ended up trading it on a rifle. I kinda wish I still had it sometimes. 10mm ammo is scarce locally. I reloaded for mine, just be aware of the increased risk for reloaded cases letting go just above the rim where they are unsupported. I never had any trouble with my handloads, but I was mindful of keeping an eye on them too. 10mm is a handful but I would skip the comp model just because I don't like the muzzle blast that goes with it. I also had the pleasure of firing a Colt Delta Elite...it was very accurate.

Winchester silver tip 10mm surpasses Winchesters .41 mag Silver tips in regards to energy by almost 50 ft-lbs, and as was mentioned you get 15 of them instead of 6. If you feel under gunned you need a rifle.

I love 10mm Glocks. Allegedly, its "ok" to fire full power ammo through them with the OEM recoil spring, but run just a few of them through, and if you're not a complete mental midget, you'll realize you shouldn't do it anymore. If the slide SLAMMING back doesn't tip you off, brass being launched into the troposphere should.

I would absolutely get the "C" model! The Desert Eagle is gas operated while the Glock is traditional semi-locked breach, plus Glock has obviously engineered the 20C to work properly - they do. Bear in mind that while newer Glocks have more supported chambers than the early ones, they are NOT fully supported. So, buy an aftermarket non-ported barrel from Lonewolf, and have a fully supported barrel that isn't comped - best of both worlds. You could also get an OEM G20 barrel if you wanted to shoot non-comped but retain an OEM barrel.

When reloading, be mindful of full power loads through the OEM barrel. For safety, that brass should be thrown away. Any buldge that is more than "slightly noticeable" should NEVER be loaded hot. You may get away with it for a while, but sooner or later you're going to get a ka-boom.

I don't find full power loads to be uncomfortable at all from the G20. In fact, it feels hard to believe there is nearly double the energy than the same gun in 45. I can't say the same thing about the Smith 1006 or the Colt Delta. It's easy to believe there's double (or triple) the energy than 45 when I shoot those.

Another conversion you can consider is 9x25 Dillon, which is 10mm necked to 9. Think longer 357 Sig. These are STUPID (really stupid) loud, but can do amazing things....as in a 124gr bullet at 1800fps.

My opinion is that Glock makes the most reliable 10mm auto in the game. I currently have a gen 3 G20SF. It's not bad to shoot at all. I added a 22lb wolff spring and rod combo, an extended slide stop and triji night sights. I also have a lone wolf bbl for shooting lead, but I'm not sure its absolutely necessary (actually a pretty good bbl for $100). It's on my hip whenever I leave the city limits. With 15+1 200 gr or 230 gr cast pills from Double Tap, it makes a great woods gun.

I have personally experienced a glock barrel getting gummed up with straight lead bullets before. In fact, it began after only 2-3 rounds in my 10mm, with 180gr@110fps.

My guess is the smearing will be a function of lead hardness and velocity. I wouldn't think twice about carrying 220gr hard casts in the woods where round count would be low, but for a high round count range day - I wouldn't do it. Doesn't take much "schmegg" in the barrel to raise pressures significantly.

Try it. Just check often for the buildup. You can scrape it out pretty easy. A 3/16" TIG electrode is my tool of choice.

Oh....+1 on the G20/29 being the most reliable 10mm auto on the market. Most others are/were 45s doctored up to run 10mm whereas Glock 45s are actually 10mms doctored to run 45....execpt the G36...speaking of...

I have a G36 I have converted to 10mm. Its a pretty sweet little 7+1 singlestack 100mm in that configuration, but not well suited for full power loads - it's a handful, and taught me the reason they dont really make little 10s. By the time you download it to "reasonable" levels, you're pretty much back to 40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: didithurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've shot quite a few pistols, I really like Glock, but have not yet fired the 10mm pistol. I'm used to .45 automatics and the recent sell off of all my weapons has turned into a new purchase spree. I have a RRA LAR-8, and a Ruger .357, but I'm stuck on a side arm. I like the Glock for many reasons, Mag. cap. not a lot of extra crap and always reliable. But the .45 drops off at around 125 to 150 yards, would the 10mm be a viable option as I have the .357 for a back up..? </div></div>The 10x25mm most certainly would, but I really would not want to use it as a daily carry gun. That round is powerful, and we have to account for every round we fire in self defense. If you like the 10mm bullet, go for a .40 S&W (10x22mm) instead of the 10mm for self defense. The 10mm would be a good backup gun for a hunter though, in my humble opinion.

Wrong. Glock recommends changing the recoil spring regularly. Like every year. I had one go on me & it wasn't fun...

How do I post my Glock model 38 .45GAP for sale? Anyone??

That's what I heard. Compensator is a silly idea!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoldnGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I post my Glock model 38 .45GAP for sale? Anyone?? </div></div>

Have a 100 post. Ones that actually add to the site and don't run it up in one day

The Glock 20 is a great gun. MASSIVE firepower in a handheld package. I plan on buying one for my next handgun.

Wow guys... <span style="font-style: italic">GREAT</span> info,
dbateman...I've been shooting the .357 since I was 12, it is absolutely the first thing I bought after some issues were resolved, I LOVE the .357 magnum. My brothers dad got me shooting it and I will always own one. But after my service to Uncle Sam I started shooting automatics first was a 9mm Beretta, then a .45, then a .44 Desert Eagle and I really <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Loved</span></span> that thing, I just wasn't comfortable trying to get it in and out of a holster, just TOO DAMN BULKY. I only shoot pistols @ 100 yards or so to prove it can be done to friends when were hangin' out shooting, milk jugs and the normal bowling pins. The reason I would carry the .357 is that it would be a back up after an automatic. DON'T read this the wrong way and think I'm bein' an ass though, just answering questions.
I really don't think trigger pull @ 4.5#'s will ever be an issue my Desert Eagle was 5.3 pounds.
Anti-Material, MM1776, turbo54, nimzoblanca, ... I'm with you. I like the Glock 'cause it's ugly, it's a tool, I'm not into pretty, I'm into functional, firepower. If I'm ever allowed to carry in Il. It would <span style="font-style: italic">maybe</span> not be a 10mm, I'll definitely pick up a Glock, but the .45 for that, I still have to fire the 10mm and am on the fence with it. Can it be worse than a .44 Desert Eagle..? Probably not.
Thanks everybody for the input..!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Simply outstanding ...
cool.gif
</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">G20 and G29.</span>
CIMG1409.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">G20.</span>
CIMG1413.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Glock 10mms are hard-hitting bad boyzz, and the 10mm AUTO is an inherently <span style="font-style: italic">COOL</span> cartridge.

So what's not to like?</span>
motivatorb1e9472e259df71cdf008b9e32.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The original 10mm Bad Boy.
Bren Ten (circa 1985).</span>
MotivatorCreateyourownmotivation-2.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Vltor's project ... modern Bren Tens.</span>
fortis5.jpg

cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-weight: bold">The original 10mm Bad Boy.
Bren Ten (circa 1985).</span>
MotivatorCreateyourownmotivation-2.jpg

cool.gif

</div></div>

The only thing rarer is a mag for one. lol

I just got done hunting with one. I love mine. I use it for deer hunting with my rifle. I keep it handy in case I cant get my rifle around where the deer can show up at a 20 yard spot. Had mine a few years and the trouble it has caused me is ZERO. great gun. I have one in an EAA witness too. It has been a good one too but I have had about 2-3 hangups. Nothing bad though. Good luck

I'm not a Glock guy myself but when my little sister called me up looking for a bear/mt lion gun to take with her when she took her dog hiking, the G20 is what I bought her. Simple to use, will always go bang, and the 10mm round is AWESOME!

I have owned both a 20 and 29, the 20 had aftermarket springs and steel guide rod and was a pleasure to shoot. The 29 was stock and it was fine to shoot too. I passed them on, and very much so wish that I had not, I miss them. Very great shooting and reliable guns. Can't go wrong with superior fire power!

Just a note on the G20C models. If you fire them after dark you will lose some of your night vision from the flash coming out of the ports. But other than that I love mine. Thinking about getting a Lonewolf 6" slide and barrel (threaded) complete upper for it, just a swap and go without having to disassemable the slides.

Might want to think about reloading,buffalo bore and double tap are the only two full power 10mm loads,the rest are watered down to 40 s&w plinking ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a note on the G20C models. If you fire them after dark you will lose some of your night vision from the flash coming out of the ports. But other than that I love mine. Thinking about getting a Lonewolf 6" slide and barrel (threaded) complete upper for it, just a swap and go without having to disassemable the slides. </div></div>

C models can't <span style="font-style: italic">"compensate"</span> for limp wrists...

If you ever have to fire any of these hole in the barrel units after dark, it'll be for sale next day, that is, assuming you survived the situation.

TC

Thanks everybody...I love the 10mm for a few reasons, and used to love my .44 desert eagle, but try to carry it... HA ! and Steppenwolf, just great looking weapons, I dig them ALL..! So I will definitely be getting the Glock..! It will be around the beginning of January. Can't wait..!

All this 10mm talk makes me want another Glock! ugghh... the addiction

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I owned this place and Hell...I'd rent this place and live in Hell!</div></div>

smile.gif
Nice sig,

Chronicles of Riddick

If you find one that runs with full power loads, they can be a good gun. Mine would never run 100%, except with the low power stuff (i.e. Blazer .40 power 10's). The Glock Smilies were irritating as well, if you reload. Heavier springs didn't help matters in my gun. I'm a Glock fan, but the 20SF was a disappointment for me. I may have gotten the lemon off the line too. Now I own a Dan Wesson PM-7 10mm,,,

Hickok45 demos a Glock 20. Initially, he shoots with the factory barrel and doesn't seem to be able to hit the targets. He then switches to an aftermarket barrel and his hits improve. I am not saying switching out the barrel is mandatory or even recommended, it just seem like an advertising ploy given the skill of the shooter.

Hickok45 demos a Glock 20. Initially, he shoots with the factory barrel and doesn't seem to be able to hit the targets. He then switches to an aftermarket barrel and his hits improve. I am not saying switching out the barrel is mandatory or even recommended, it just seem like an advertising ploy given the skill of the shooter.

I know the video you are talking about. If I remember correctly, he couldn't get the 220 grain bullets to stabilize so he used an aftermarket barrel. There was a lot of key-holing. Don't think this was a marketing ploy unless he knows how to make bullets keyhole.

Aftermarket barrels are also a must if you shoot softer lead.

And the Glock 20 is a great woods gun. A lot of power in a very lightweight package. As some have mentioned, get a heavier recoil spring if you are going to shoot full power loads or the gun will unlock prematurely.

I dig the G20... and am in fact in the process of putting together a long slide version of one. I bought a frame off of Gun Broker, a Lone Wolf long slide, the (threaded) barrel to match, and one of their 10mm comps. I'll also be firing it suppressed (wheeeee!!!).

As we speak, the frame is off getting a grip job done, and the barrel has had a box of ammo run through it to break it in. Next steps are to send the barrel/slide off for QPQ melonite treatment and purchase a Glockworx trigger for it.

Love mine. Snappy little shooter. Easy conversion to .357 sig and .40s&w. 10mm ammo is always hard to find and expensive as heck around here but 357sig and .40 are pretty easy to come by and comparatively cheap. Honestly though for what I do with a pistol I almost always carry the Glock 21. If I need .357 magnum power, I carry a .357 magnum wheelgun. I've used .357sig and 10mm on small deer. They didn't have the poop that I'd want to do it again. I do carry the G20 on bear hunts. It feels better to me to have that much more firepower for that. Your mileage may vary.

Doubletap 180 and 200 grain ammo vs 1/4" mild steel is quite a sight.
9, 40 and 45 rang it but left no damage.
10mm hits looked like someone tried to push their finger through the steel.
I've only shot one deer with mine using Hornady 10 XTP's which is brisk but not Doubletap power.
The bullet nuked a vertebrae leaving only splinters.