• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What do you say???

dlc356

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2006
B'ham, Alabama
One of my oldest and closest friends found out yesterday that his middle son has lymphoma. The little guy is only five years old and hopefully it was caught in the early stages. He goes in Mon. to start scans, tests, chemo, etc. They are almost certain it's Hodgkin's but don't know what sub-type it is yet.

I talked to my buddy and had no idea what to say. I almost popped off with a, "It'll be o.k." but caught myself. All I could come up with was if he or his wife needed anything to call me. It's a hopeless feeling knowing that you can do nothing to help out a buddy. We both lost our fathers to cancer and were there for each other through the illness and death but this is different. We're hoping that maybe since he is so young his body might fight it differently than an adult... I don't know if there is any medical basis for that but it seemed to make sense.

Re: What do you say???

From past experience all you can do is be there and be supportive. There are no words......Prayers sent to the family.

I also just lost my Dad to cancer too. Please express our (speaking for some others) sympathy for your friends lil' one. It is always harder when it is a child effected and you cant rationalize why it is happening to them and not to someone that has been able to live a life and experience what life has to offer. God has his reasons, we dont always understand but all you can do is hope and pray that things will get better.

Lost my son at 2 years old on 28 DEC 2002 to a brain tumor. There isn't much you can say to make it any easier. Just be there and be supportive of your friend and his family. Just having someone there to talk to is the best help you can give. Will keep the little guy in my prayers.

Almost lost my son when he was 4 to a very rare disease. There is nothing more faith questioning. There are no words. It amazed me how much stronger my son was during that time than I was. Just be there for them. Your friends are in my prayers.

like others said, be there, be supportive. no one knows just what to say at a time like this. something you think would be fine being said to you, will not go over so well with others. do all you can to help if and when asked. i hope the little guy pulls through, children are tougher than we give them credit for.

You can do plenty.

I have survived Lymphoma twice.

There are three varieties, Hodkins, Hon-Hodgkins, and Mixed Cell, which exhibits the characteristics of the other two. The hardest to treat, and therefore most serious, is the Non-Hodgkins. I had the other two types.

Treatment options are Surgery, Radiotherapy, and Chemotherapy, and I have been treated with all three. I reached stage 1A the first time, and stage 3B the 2nd time. My recovery probablilities were considered 50/50 that time.

The disease, in general, progresses slowly, and many patients and their families tend to think that the Oncology people are moving too slowly.

<span style="font-style: italic">I won't sugar coat this.</span>

The diagnostic process is long and involves testing and surgeries that are very uncomfortable. Typically, diagnosis follows a six month schedule, treatment about a month for Radiotherapy, six months for Chemotherapy, and surgery involves a minimum of a week's stay each time.

Because the Lymphoma progresses so slowly, early stage Lymphoma may not present any seriously uncomfortable symptoms.

The cure's the thing.

Assume that in the case of a successful treatment and diagnosis, the process will take about a year to reach initial recovery, and altogether about 5 years to reach full recovery, where life is much the same as before.

I reached full recovery from Mixed Cell, then was diagnosed with Hodgkins in my fifth year, and went through the whole process all over again. I did not have a relapse, I had two separate kinds of cancer. As far as the disease is concerned, I recovered fully and am at about ten years in remission from the latest involvement.

But I do have problems from the treatment itself.

Specifically, the Adreomycin, which was one of the four-drug chemo cocktail that was used then, has impaired my heart function. It attacks the left ventricle, scarring the muscle tissue. My left ventricle is only partially functional, and as a result my heart function is rated at a 25% ejection fraction. Normal is around 60%.

This is a very common, expected outcome from the chemo; the thinking being that heart problems down the road are better than dying from cancer then and there. They can treat heart problems, but dead is dead.

I also had a serious heart attack, which causes me memory problems in addition to requiring a quad bypass and the implantation of a pacemaker/defibrillator. Although the attack cannot be placed in the side effects column from the cancer and its treatment, there can be little doubt that they played a part.

In terms of impairment, I am somewhat fit and enjoy moderate strength. I can do some of pretty much everything physical that the normal person, whoever that is, can do; but I just can't do it for very long. I can walk a few hundred feet on the level, and then, I have to sit and rest for about five minutes while I regain my breath. My limitations limit my ability to regain better fitness. I have gone through cardiac rehab twice, and truth be told, could probably benefit from doing it again. Rebuilding fitness with underlying congestive heart failure is not a simple task.

Lymphoma is typically a disease of the young and the old. Middle age onset like mine is atypical in the general population and very typical in Vietnam Veterans, with strong and VA-acknowldged linkage to Agent Orange exposure.

Prognosis is good, the treatment regimens are well established, and testing and followup are very effective.

The treatment knocks you on your ass and makes you very vulnerable to opportunistic infection. Lymphoma is, after all, cancer of the immune system itself. Unlike other cancers, where the immune system is recruited in the fight; with Lymphoma, it's down for the count unless and until you recover, and then it's fighting with one hand from then on. Forever.

My immune system is permanently impaired, somewhere between normal and that of an AIDS patient. I am careful around potential sources of infection, and I am one of the folks who are strongly advised to get annual flu shots.

Expect hair and weight loss, nausea is typical but I never really had it, and the weakness associated continues to progress for at least a month beyond cessation of treatment. By that I mean, you keep getting sicker for another month, from the treatment, even after it's stopped. Then things turn around and it all gets noticeably better by the day.

When treatment fails, it's usually either because it was not diagnosed early enough, or because the patent becomes too weak and ill from the treatment to be able to complete the treatment.

How fit and healthy you are going in has a strong bearing on your outcome; so folks who allow their fitness to fail are prime candidates both to get cancer, and to die from it.

To be clear on this, there are three ways to treat cancer. Cut it out, burn it out, or poison it out. The tactic is to do that to a degree of intensity that just barely fails to kill the patient, in the hope that the cancer will die before the patient does. There is nothing nice or easy about the process.

The patient's role is simple. You get on the merry-go-round and you don't get off until they tell you to. It's not a fun ride. You will learn things you never wanted to know. Most of them are about yourself and your true character.

If you didn't have courage going into it, you will either find it, or you will die. Period.

The relatives' role is much harder. You must convince the patient to walk into that lion's den, and keep on walking into it, until the lion rolls over and plays dead. No shortcuts, no breaks, no vacations. If that lion gets back up, you're in deep dudu.

Get it done, or die.

Death will cease to be that great unknown, but wlll become, instead, a close and personal acquaintance, whom one respects, or else.

Lymphoma has changed my life. It wiped out my health insurance right about the time I was halfway through the second bout. The uninsured expenses cost me my business, my retirement, my savings, my home, and my lifestyle, which was moderately comfortable at the time. Ten years later I am still paying down indebtedness in the high 5 figures, and that's not even talking about Celia's uninsured med bills, which originally approached about a half million. We got a ton of government assistance, with about a 60-70% writeoff and paydown.

My life is simple, I pay medical bills, and hold back just enough to keep us both fed, housed, and clothed. Sometimes we find a windfall and I can afford to buy some reloading components. My sole source of income is SSD and a partial VA Disability.

Get this straight. We're doing fine, and we don't want anyone reaching into their pockets for us. You already did that and I am flatly not going to go to that well again. Ever. We have our life, we're hacking it, and we're managing to like that life a whole lot. There is no cause for concern, and if there was, we have family and we'll git 'er done.

When a kid comes down with Lymphoma, the odds are extremely skewed in the kid's favor. It's not fun, they'll never forget it, but ten years from now, they'll be living a normal life and will probably only think about it maybe once every two weeks. They will not be well advised to give blood or to be an organ donor. Aside from that, you could look at a pack of folks and not tell who did and didn't have Lymphoma ten years ago.

That's it, and it's plenty.

Greg

My granddaughter has TAR syndrome (too long to explain but you can Google it). She will be 5 in December, has had 114 transfusions and 15 operations so far. The help and support we had from family, church members, community members has been great, from babysitting our other granddaughter to hospital visits, offers of money for hospital trips, month long stays at the Ronald McDonald house, etc. A client of mine even gave me the contact for Shriners Hospital if my daughter and son in law needed to take the little one there.

Best advice I can give is to keep a positive attitude around your friends at all times. Offer to help out with anything you can at any time. The more support they have the better. Use any contacts you have in regard to their needs once you find out how things are progressing. Just be there for them. They will be reeling from all the things that are going on at first, and they will need steady friends around them. We had so many offers of support for our granddaughter we felt smothered at first, but that is normal...just hang in there with them...and praying doesn't hurt either.......

John

Thank you for the replies. Greg, thank you for the layman's explanation and I'm glad you're doing well.

I had told my bud to call if they needed anything and I would help in any way I could. His wife told me it would help if we (my wife and I) could take him out one night. She said it would be great for my bro to just get a few hours away. My younger brother in law was diagnosed at 18 and the other day this felt like a bad case of deja vu.

A positive attitude is SO important, as is prayer. Offer to be there at all times, keep the door open at all time for your friend; I would think a regular text message "You holding up OK?" allows him to respond when he needs someone to talk to or needs some help without forcing him into a conversation he doesn't feel like. At times they will be so overwhelmed - not just emotionally but physically drained, so anything you can do to help time-wise will be appreciated. You could help with mundane things like house & car maintenance, so they can spend as much time as possible with their child. Again, send a text - "I'm free Saturday, can I help you with the lawn/run some errands?" You mentioned the ill child is a middle child - so there is a younger and older child that will need to be cared for, and will probably feel neglected at times. Offer to help with the care of the other children. Try to find out if the child and siblings have special interests and plan at least one little "treat" or event at least once a week - I'm sure we could help with ideas. Find out about favorite "comfort" foods. They will be spending a lot of time in the hospital, and a lot of time at home. Make sure they have a lot of good family oriented movies to share. See if they will let you in the home to help with a good cleaning (changing filters, super thorough vacuuming & dusting, cleaning out the fridge etc.) before he comes home after his first round of treatment - remember his immune system is already weakened from the lymphoma and will be even more so during treatment.

The survival rate of kids having lymphoma has improved dramatically from modern medicine - Hodgkins had a 40% survival in the 1940's- its now over 95% in kids, and non-Hodgkins used to have a 17% survival - its now over 90% in kids. But, as Greg outlined above - the treatment is pure hell. I just hate to imagine any child going through it. We will send our prayers along, keep us posted.

Bro, I am so sorry to hear this. I really cant imagine.

All you can do is be there, be supportive, be a shoulder when he needs one, be johnny on the spot for anything he needs. Pray like youve never prayed before.

Kids are tougher than we think. They have a purity of character, an intensity of personal faith, that reduces a lot of the complexity of issues.

Although it is crucial to enlist their will in the fight, it is also important not to overcomplicate their thinking with gruesome details. Keep the bad stuff general, and harp the details of the good aspects. Things like a "be prepared for some tough times, and don't worry you're not doing this alone" sort of approach.

Friends can be best by making certain the folks directly involved are never alone, and by providing support in the form of helping out with the mundane aspects of their lives, like running errands, doing shopping, giving rides, etc., so the folks at the center of the storm have the time and freedom to concentrate on the central issues.

Simple discoveries shared, like; I discovered that no matter how bad my stomach got, I could always keep down Carnation Chocolate Instant Breakfast. My Wife would whip up a big glass, double strength, and two of those a day would tide me over. Tasted great, and the nutrition it provided managed keep enough weight on me that I could finish my treatments without wasting to a point where they needed to be put on hold, or worse, discontinued. Sounds like a small thing, but honestly, it was probably one of the key factors in my survival.

Cancer doesn't attack individuals, it attacks families, and when the family is under that attack; it needs to grow to include friends and other loved ones.

I know that when I had the cancer, my family expanded to include my entire Marine Corps League Detachment family. All those safety net provisions I mentioned above were among the things they did. That's where the promise, Once a Marine, etc., actually came true for me, and why I have so much faith in that concept. I feel sorry for Marines who never got to feel that feeling. Ones who don't know think I'm hokey, but I'm the one who <span style="font-style: italic">knows</span>. They kept my Wife both free and busy, they got me to radiation and chemo sessions, they were lining the hallway outside the operating theatre literally clapping and cheering for me when I was wheeled out of surgery half conscious (but I remember, I <span style="font-style: italic">remember</span>), they made damned sure that there was always a friend with me in my hospital room from when my eyes opened in morning until I conked off at night.

Ultimately, that's the reason such organizations exists.

In fact, I <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> that The 'Hide is another, just like that,

That family also includes your fellow patients. We would do Chemo in a big room, in a circle facing inward. Caregivers and patients, and nobody else. Groggy, loopy, barfy, often hysterically laughing at the hokeyest jokes, but always together as a family; we bonded such as none of us, at least the ones who never shared combat, could never picture. And some of us made it, and some of us didn't, and there is not more effective and poignant way (including the stark melee of combat) to face death as a genuine, proximate possiblity. It teaches you the things you need to effectively grasp in a manner no other method can approach.

So yes, there are thing you can do, there is no end of things you can do, you just need to dig down into that imagination a little.

The operative question is, what if it was me?

You wanna know how I made it through what I made it through? That's how, because others asked that same question when I was in need.

And you can betcherbutt that when I can reciprocate, I do. Some of you are Devil Dogs (DD93-42), and you understand the concept.

What you put on the wheel always comes back around tenfold. So; make sure that tenfold is a <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> thing.

Greg

Damn. I just lost my uncle to cancer back and January and my aunt to it back in July of 2008.

Prayers are inbound.
frown.gif

ewoaf's guide to prayin good....
pray a LOT, but the key is to be thankful when you pray. Thank God for all the things going right, and to stay mindful that things could be worse w/o thinking of how it could be worse...if that makes sense...this will help you to keep a right and positive mind set. This is important because fear is the opposite of love. God is love, and God and his miracle are inseperable. Communion, not prayer, is the natural state of those who know. Fear will not allow this to take place.
The other, and really important key, is to thank God for the end result you wish for as if it has already happened. since time doesn't really exist, it is highly recomendable to feel the joy and thankfulness for the cure and fast recovery, because it has already happened. Belief produces acceptance of existence. That is why you can believe what no one else thinks is true. It is true for you because it was made by you. You inherited the Father's creative power when he created you.

Be strong Be there no matter what he or the family may need, going through similar with my sister she has made it to the good side and is doing better. My prayers to the family and strength to the young boy whom is to become a man.

A dear friend lost his son last year to cancer. I didn't know what to do. I listened and consoled as best I could but felt helpless. I'm a Marine and part of my makeup is to want to return hurt for hurt, especially when you see children hurting, but there was no place to direct my anger and that was hard for me.

Chase was a trooper through the whole ordeal, constantly telling his parents that whatever happened, he would be fine. He understood his own death and accepted it and consoled his Mother with his dying breath. He was 9.

Make a wish came and offered him a wish but it was too late as he was bedridden and given a week to live. His wish was to have his elementary school gymnasium renovated so that his friends could enjoy it more. They did and named it after him.

I learned alot from that young man.

Be there for your friend, don't ask if he needs anything, just do it. Mow his lawn, bring food to the house and hospital, anything that you can do to free the family up.
I found that there is little you can say to make things better, mostly I just listened. My prayers will be with the boy and the family.

TN

dlc356 the world be better off if there were more people like you who care abt others as you do. crow hop

Prayers sented. It is said that when one gets to the Pearly gates of Heaven, there will be two baskets you have created during your lifetime. One basket is the prayers of all the things you have ask for,the other basket is of all the thankful prayers you have sented for items you have received. Question which one of the baskets is the fullets for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AirForceShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the words

"What can I do?"

that's all you can say.

AFS </div></div>

I lost one of my very best friends to kidney cancer last month. Just let them know that you're there to help in any way you can.

I have been in the cancer research field for years and I have to say for a bunch of gun nuts your thoughts are pretty impressive.

dlc. I'll pray for him night and day.

It might sound a bit corny, but Bill Withers got it right with the advice:

"Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on"

Tears runnin down my face. Love sent. Howard

Follow up on the 'If there is anything I can do, let me know'. By being available to your buddy for him to come and vent or let it all out. So many people say the same thing, then never make themselves available for the affected person to lean on.

I want to thank all of you for your kind words. I sent a link to my bro's wife and she wanted me to tell you how much they appreciate it. The little man is a trooper. A little sick after treatments every now and then but you'd never know it by talking to him. The doctor suggested they shave his head so he didn't wake up to find hair all over the pillow and he was all for it (my buddy keeps his shaved). Of course, he wanted to do it in stages and requested a mohawk... Then he wanted to dye it green.

His mom started this page for him: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/wilsonrowlen so friends/family could follow his progress without her having to send a million emails a week. It's been good for him too because they read it and he can actually see how many folks are thinking about him.

crazy dog, let us both go outside and spread some tobacco on mother earth and any other brothers who wish to. please lets all pray to grandfather for little wilson and all the other children in the world who need prayers. crow hop h-ow it is so

If they have any coverage issues with insurance or they need any help with negotiating medical bills let me know and my firm will do whatever is needed...it has been tough reading this post. I lost my Dad almost a year ago today to cancer and its been a long road back but the support found in these posts can make this happen...God Bless all your efforts to help.

My only advice to you is to get them to open up by acknowledging to them that this will be a difficult time to work through and they'll need to reach out...and you and others will be there.

Because of my own history I work with a support group called the parents of murdered children and I can tell you through my experiences in that journey that the advice found in the above posts is golden and spot on...and thank you Greg for sharing your journey and knowledge as well.

God Bless you in your journey as well...they are lucky to call you friend.

Having gone thru a cancer scare with my oldest son this year, I can sympathize. The child will probably do better than the parents (mine did). I agree with the offering of prayers and offering to help. Spread the word about what is going on and try to get a prayer chain going for the child.

Our prayers to the child and the parents.

I'm sitting in a hospital room right now with my oldest son, who will turn 7 on Sunday. He's got pneumonia again, this is the fourth time in the last three years. The standard run of antibiotics seems to be working, so another couple of days and we should be able to go home.

Every instance of pneumonia has come immediately after a round of chemotherapy and steroids. He was diagnosed with leukemia (ALL) in June of 2006....fortunately, his type is completely curable, and with his final LP next month, the treatment should be over. Six months of observation just to be sure and he'll be back under the knife to get
his port-a-cath removed.

The only advice I can give, having lived through the experience of being a father watching his son go through rounds of general sedation, spinal taps, chemotherapy, daily medication, the loss of hair twice, learning to ride a bike, learning to walk again, building projects, and the first day of school, is two things -- first, take everything one day at a time. It is truly overwhelming to attempt to consider a treatment that runs many years. Second, don't treat the little one any different. At the young, impressionable age, he'll still need structure and discipline. You can't be afraid to discipline just the same as you can't be afraid to praise for accomplishments.

Just let your friend know that you'll be available -- and make yourself available. Offer to make/bring/buy dinner...take the kids for an evening...mow the lawn so he can hang with the kids...just give him an opportunity to be with his young ones and remember the good times. The rest of the times are something that have to be worked through; the good times are some that must be chosen to be shared.

<span style="font-weight: bold">UPDATE</span> I got a voicemail from my buddy this afternoon. His son went to the Dr. today and for now is 100% Cancer free. Of course, he will have to go back every few months but for now it's looking good...

Thanks to all for the prayers, thoughts, etc. A big thanks to Crow Hop, you're special bro thanks again for going above and beyond...