• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What do you think is a good inexpensive stock?

Cherns

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2010
I.E. CA
Hello everyone, I'm looking to finally upgrade my 700 SPS to a new stock, but am on a tight budget and I am not trying to spend more than $300. So after some research I have basically decided on a B&C Medalist Tactical A2 in black, it has a lot of bang for the buck from what I see, but I'm wondering, in your opinion, are other stocks out there that might have a better bang and be worth the price increase?

Re: What do you think is a good inexpensive stock?

Look at manners. Yeah more money, but I say it's worth it. I know nothing about the B&C.

My next stock will be a manners T3 for a shorty .308 build.

Bell & Carlson. Many flavors to consider, but their Light Tactical has been great. They can be found for around $200. That being said, I'm saving the coin for a Manners T2A.

I just bought a B&C medalist A2. Got the olive with black web shipped with 3 day express for 245. Nice fit for the money i think it feels good. The weight of the stock is right around 3 to 4 lbs i believe. Something to consider if your on a tight budget.

I had a b&c medalist tactical. OK stock but now shoot in an AICS. worlds above the B&C. That being said, i sold the B&C for like $50 less than i bought it for so its easy to recoup if you decide to go another direction.

damn... ever since I looked at manners I have considered whether I should just save up and get one or just go ahead and get that B&C, and now the first 2 replies are to look at manners, I may just end up saving after all...
grin.gif

B&C tactical. Great stock for the money, and easy to recoup most of your profit when you re-sell it

Save your money and get the Manners. You will be happier in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your money and get the Manners. You will be happier in the long run. </div></div>

+100. You will be glad you did.

Try several different stocks, and pick the one that fits you best. We all have different tastes. I like a more traditional stock. I have shot manners, AICS, HS, and mcmillan. There was no difference in accuracy between any of these stocks on the same rifle for me. Any of the names mentioned will give you the performance you are looking for, so pick one that is most comfortable

For the money the AI stocks for 895 is a good buy. Already has the detachable mag in the stock. If it is a Remmy. It is a drop in fit. Rail to add stuff, Adjustable butt platte and check piece.

By the time you finish the other ones up. It will cost more.

Got B&C varmit/tactical on my 700. It came with it though but see no reason to upgrade at this time. Would like to add a Manners or McMillan in the future.

The HS stocks that come on the Remy 5Rs are nice too.

I would have to say spend the extra few bucks and go with a Manners also. You wont regret it at all. They are quality stocks.

Where would one browse and buy Manners stock?

I havnt noticed any diffrence in accuracy in 3 diffrent types of stocks. If you want to drink the Manners kool-aid then have at it, but for the money, which is what you asked, your B&C is just fine. HS Precision is around the same price and im willing to bet the accuracy gain/loss in one from the other is negligable. Same with the manners, You think you will be able to squeeze the claimed additional accuracy out of a manners as oppose to a $300 HS Precision? If your answer is yes, then buy it and be happy. If not, get the B&C, Ive had GREAT success with them.

Also your talking about an SPS.. If you aint hitting your target, I will promise you it aint gunna be the diffrence in B&C or Manners stock making you miss. its gunna be the barrel, the wind, the <span style="text-decoration: underline">shooter</span> You could throw a 2x4 on there and hit the samr target you can with that plastic injection molded stock they come with though so some kind of upgrade is favorable.

Cherns,

You are in So Cal. Hook up with some guys at one of the bigger ranges down there and get behind a bunch of different stocks. Figure out how hard you are going to use each of them and determine if the upgrades are worth it. I went from the HS precision on a 700P to a McMillan A5 and the price was definitely worth it. You may not be able to "shoot the difference", but being as comfortable as possible behind the rifle will enhance your accuracy.

Josh

I have a B&C medalist stock in my 243 win. It's good for the money. I find that the length of pull is a bit short. Planning to switch to Manners stock when I rebarrel it.

thanks everyone, really appreciate the input, especially since this is my very first rifle. I was also wondering, are the manners stocks drop in? Cause I think the B&C is, but not too sure either. I figure, get the B&C, throw on a karsten cheek pad and it'll look and feel great, and be pretty low budget. Although, like MinorDamage said, I really should go to one of the bigger ranges around me and try and test out some other rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also your talking about an SPS.. If you aint hitting your target, I will promise you it aint gunna be the diffrence in B&C or Manners stock making you miss. its gunna be the barrel, the wind, the <span style="text-decoration: underline">shooter</span> You could throw a 2x4 on there and hit the samr target you can with that plastic injection molded stock they come with though so some kind of upgrade is favorable. </div></div>
I shoot just fine with it in the factory stock, although I'm still pretty new to long range shooting and am still learning, but I've heard that the stock bends and touches the barrel when it's resting on something so I figure a new, nice looking, good priced, free floating stock would be good to have on her.

Moving from Rem 700 (.308) VLS original stock to AICS (drop-in fit) improved my accuracy with this rifle.

As far as inexpensive stocks go, I like this one the best-

5cxe09.jpg

Bell & Carlson BCS1000, $280.

Alot of people on this board will turn their noses up at a Choate but I have had 2 different tactical stocks from them that shot sub MOA with 10 round groups. Aluminum bedding block so no bedding, sling swivel studs on both sides, a rail on the bottom for your bipod stud to adjust, already inletted for bottom metal and the spacers are cheap and easy to adjust your LoP so add a Karsten and you can adjust to your ergonomics. Did I mention they are $221.99 plus freight from these guys?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr...isting-_-761001

strange how "inexpensive" can mean so many things to so many people... esp when a max $ amount is given. Its like someone in the market for a KIA and you want to sell them an Escalade..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">strange how "inexpensive" can mean so many things to so many people... esp when a max $ amount is given. Its like someone in the market for a KIA and you want to sell them an Escalade.. </div></div>

You gotta love how he states $300 max, and a bunch of guys are in here saying "Save for the Manners"....by the time you get that Manners bedded you'll be at $700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">strange how "inexpensive" can mean so many things to so many people... esp when a max $ amount is given. Its like someone in the market for a KIA and you want to sell them an Escalade.. </div></div>

You gotta love how he states $300 max, and a bunch of guys are in here saying "Save for the Manners"....by the time you get that Manners bedded you'll be at $700.
</div></div>

Better than finding out what felt "good" to someone on the internet felt bad for you. Then you wind up selling said "affordable" stock and purchasing the higher cost one. That is why I specifically stated he needs to get out to the range and get behind a couple different stocks. One size does not fit all in this game, but if the $700 stock fits his body and his needs better than the economy stock, he should be continuing to save his pennies.

Josh

Fit and finish is truly important, and for this you may need to pay more than you expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">strange how "inexpensive" can mean so many things to so many people... esp when a max $ amount is given. Its like someone in the market for a KIA and you want to sell them an Escalade.. </div></div>

</div></div>

That is why we stated "Save". He asked if...
"are other stocks out there that might have a better bang and be worth the price increase?"

Depending on how and how long a rifle will be used, it may be a better idea to save for just a bit longer and get a quality product.

If the user isnt looking for quality then go for the penny saver option. It will work, just not as well.

Different strokes for different storkes, just options out there.

OP- Keep an eye on the FS thread, good deals on stocks pop up there.

personnaly, if a $300 stock doesn't fit me and I have to toss it and buy another, that is way too much cash to spend on garbage. On the other hand if a $700 stock is perfect and I will keep it forever, to me that is inexpensive because i don't mind paying for what i want but want what i am paying for.
hope this helps.

It's better to save money for a year to buy a McMillan/AICS and use them for the rest of the rifle's life than save money for a month and buy a average stock only to toss it a year later. Be patient.
I have enough to get a B&C A3 right now but figure I'll wait and get the McMillan A5 instead.

I am in the same boat right now looking for a stock for my Howa 1500 308. The only difference is I bought a barreled action, without a stock, so saving up for a higher end stock and waiting would mean I won't be shooting said rifle for quite a while. So in this case, I would not mind spending a little money now getting a B&C A2 for the rifle (which by the way fits me and feels good), and continue saving for a different stock, if even needed.

To the OP, check out CAPRC's (california precision rifle club) shooting schedules here in So. Cal. They welcome shooters and non-shooters to go and check out their club activities. While at the shoots you can ask (nicely) some of the members if you may get behind one of their rifles to see how they fit. I think one session will save you a lot of headaches.

SoCalPete,
You might check my old posts for 260 Rem built by AKA-SPOOK . I have the B&C Weatherby tactical varmint stock . I also have the a2 stock but prefer the varmint stock . It is lighter and the forearm is smaller which feels much better from sitting and offhand . I put one of the stock packs on it and it worked out very well for me . I have McMillan and Manners (and had AICS) stocks but don't really feel like I am giving up much by using a B&C stock . If I was trying to beat a tiger to death with a stock, I would probably buy AICS . Since I don't - B&C will work for me .

david

I posted this a while ago in response to someone asking about the Choate/Plaster rifle stock. The above recommendations are all good.

Subject "Plaster Ultimate Sniper" stocks.

"I have one of these stocks on a Remington 700 heavy barrel Varmint rifle .223. I bought the rifle new c. 1989.

From day 1, the rifle suffered from moving POI. It would sight in and with handloads shoot under a dime at 100 yards. Then next time you go shoot it, impact had moved 2 - 3 inches! All due to factory wood stock and damp NC weather. Ultimately, the gun went into a cabinet where it stayed for 10 years.

In about 2003, I put on a Plaster stock. It transformed the rifle. It's still a tack driver but now the POI never moves. Ever. It's been my only varmint rifle until recently when I got a Pre 64 70 in .220 Swift (which just may be too nice to shoot... ) But for woodchucks, crows, coyotes, foxes, etc. around my farm, the 700 with plaster stock has been deadly.

They are also very popular in the LE sniping community, so have been tested extensively in the field.

Advantages: Gun is transformed. Ergonomics are good. Stock is built like a brick outhouse. It didn't break the bank. It fit the rifle w. no modification. Looks pretty good.

Disadvantages: Heavy. The "stippling" is rough and benefits from some filing to take the edge off. The magazine well doesn't always work great (follower tilts). The cheekpiece(s) can benefit from some raising/lowering as fit is limited to high or low.

Overall, I am very happy with it and would recommend."

Hope this helps. There are a lot of good stocks out there and I really like the AI stocks for 700. Great pieces of kit... but perhaps the above will help some.

Cheers,

Sirhr

David, saw your rifle, great piece. I am also considering that. Thanks.

Apologize to OP for hijacking a tiny bit.
laugh.gif

A good inexpensive stock is one that pops up on the PX here...I lucked out with an HS Precision 5R takeoff for $150 shipped. $25 bucks worth of MarineTex later and it was textured and bedded.

thanks again for the advice everyone! I was going to ask about the choate stocks so i'm glad they came up, what does everyone think about the blackhawk axiom? saving up and getting a real nice stock would probably be ideal, but since this is my first rifle i just really want to throw a decent stock on her and have fun, i would rather get a nice stock for a more expensive rifle, like a custom one or a bigger cal. one.

Never used the BH axiom, but I have heard they are trash.

Good luck with the stock choice. Whatever you go with, enjoy it and shoot the crap out of it.

I'm a fan of HS Precision stocks. I also am a big fan of the older Sendero stocks without the palm swell. You can find them on this forum or others and even Ebay for under 200 bucks.

B&C light tactical i think is the best bang for the price.

Bell & carlson makes a good stock, and sometimes you can score a good buy in the classifieds, just keep your eye open and your page refreshed, the good buys go quick.

I would go with a take-off HS precision either PSS/5R/Sendero/VS. You should be able to find one pretty cheap, then add an eagle stock pack and you have a good cheek weld and a place to carry you range cards, ammo, etc.

I have opened up alot of HS stocks for badger DBM and badger EFR mounts and have no complaints on their construction. The shells seem prone to chipping but this is minor unless it is a safe queen.

For a real shooter I would get an HS and stock pack. This stock is totally upgradeable later with DBM/larger barrel contour/etc.

I am sure whatever you choose will seem like a slice of heaven compared to the SPS stock......what a piece of shit.

Ern

Looks like the BCS1000 is the Weatherby Varmint 6550 with a Remy block, good combination. I like that stock's thinner butt over the 2092 vertical grip with fat butt and forearm.

Also B&C can do custom LOP and add sling studs to any forearm.

as far as upgrades and what not, i'm pretty much done, all that is needed is a stock now. here's what she looks like.
1002663c.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your money and get the Manners. You will be happier in the long run. </div></div>

+1

Cherns, you can pick up a used H&S here on the Hide for about $200. That's what I did with my SPS Tactical.
DSC_0014.jpg

Where do you shoot? you are welcome to try out my A4, A5, and AICS. Just PM me if you want to try them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWDG3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the BCS1000 is the Weatherby Varmint 6550 with a Remy block, good combination. I like that stock's thinner butt over the 2092 vertical grip with fat butt and forearm.

Also B&C can do custom LOP and add sling studs to any forearm. </div></div>

And inletting for the wyatts DBM.

i'm always keeping an eye out in the for sale section trying to get a deal on a good stock but it seems like there is almost never anything for a long action on there, too many people with short actions!