• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you use for a chamber flag?

I've been shooting PRS for 5 years and have never seen a malfunction caused by a chamber flag. Nor has my chamber been hot enough to melt plastic. Especially not my freaking 22.
Tight chambered RimXs and Vudoos…. I personally watched them not finish a stage because the chamber flag shavings kept the empty from extracting and they had to dig it out. We have 90 sec stages here so there’s goes that stage.

I get the idea a visible indicator in a bright color works if it’s a mag block since the bolt stays open till removed but some want it in the barrel so if you want to shoot there don’t leave shavings in the chamber is all I can tell ya.

Tight chambered RimXs and Vudoos…. I personally watched them not finish a stage because the chamber flag shavings kept the empty from extracting and they had to dig it out. We have 90 sec stages here so there’s goes that stage.

I get the idea a visible indicator in a bright color works if it’s a mag block since the bolt stays open till removed but some want it in the barrel so if you want to shoot there don’t leave shavings in the chamber is all I can tell ya.

Are these the same guys who's chambers are so tight that they can't extract a live round without pulling the bullet? Because that shit has no place in an action shooting sport either.

A mag block is not a visible indicator of an empty chamber. Pretending differently doesn't make it so, and is simply placing personal convenience above the safety of other shooters.

Last edited:
I've been shooting PRS for 5 years and have never seen a malfunction caused by a chamber flag. Nor has my chamber been hot enough to melt plastic. Especially not my freaking 22.

But I have seen a couple of guys with mag blocks ND and DQ themselves because they (and everyone around them) thought their loaded rifle had an empty chamber. Lucky neither of them shot someone.

Yeah, it really can be an issue.

I watched a well known and respected shooter (will not name names because he owned the mistake at the time) ND into the parking lot after a match because he thought his mag flag meant that his hot rifle was empty.

While finishing the last stage of the day he had loaded a round but not closed the bolt, then pulled the mag, inserted the mag flag, and carried the loaded rifle down to the parking lot on his shoulder. Once he got to his car he pulled the mag flag, closed the bolt on what he thought was an empty chamber, and fired the rifle, expecting a dry fire and instead firing the live round he didn't know was in the chamber. Luckily for everyone standing around (myself included) he wasn't pointing his "cold" rifle at anyone or at any of our vehicles.

Sure, the shooter made a lot of consecutive errors (like failing to visually inspect the chamber at least twice, assuming his mag block indicated an empty rifle) and also avoided tragedy by following another rule (muzzle awareness, even with an "empty" firearm).

But the point is that the "safety device" so many people in this thread are assuming indicates an cold firearm failed, and it failed because it encourages complacency by allowing guys to pretend it indicated an empty chamber when it does nothing of the sort.

IMO we'd be better to use nothing, assume everyone's gun is hot, and throw people out for poor muzzle discipline at any point during the day than to allow them to use something that actually encourages complacency and unsafe behavior.
This is the way western matches are. Never even used a chamber fag in the last few years. Come to east coast and they are all Nazis about it. Every gun is considered hot, Bolt back. Just scared little bitch mentality. I never felt unsafe at a field match with 200 guys with rifles and pistols walking around. But God forbid you forget to put an eci on the square range where the gun is pointing in same direction 5 feet away from the stage.
Then again less idiots and more people used to handling guns and hunting out there so people don't need to be coddled. Saftey 3rd dude must have got his gun saftey tips from watching the sopranos between weekends at the jersey shore.

Simple, clearly visible from a distance and inexpensive. Never had a shaving in the chamber and this is one of the tightest match chambers you can have and still actually load the rifle. If you are getting shavings, the chamber flag is way too tight.

IMG_3761.jpeg

Did the owners of the rifles blame the failure to extract on the chamber flag shavings? Or was this an assumption by you based on your observations? Thanks.

I didn't know anyone used anything other than the MDT ones. :ROFLMAO:
p.s. they come free with every order not just chassis.

Did the owners of the rifles blame the failure to extract on the chamber flag shavings? Or was this an assumption by you based on your observations? Thanks.
Yes I watched them run flawless for a couple stages then when it failed the shooter manually extracted the round and found slivers of the chamber flag in the the chamber. There was no assuming needed at that point.

Must have been a cheaper made one or how they shove them in as I have run one in my Vudoo since 2017 and never an issue with the chamber. I used one this past weekend too as I couldn't find the magazine one but always have a few of the in chamber ones in my pack. Only issues I have ever had with them is their falling out. I think I will get the magnetic one next.

I have shot a Texas carbine match, 3 different PRS style rimfire matches and a USPSA pistol match a bunch. Never used or saw a chamber flag, but have seen a couple magazine blocks. I volunteered at a centerfire bench rest match a couple weeks ago and that was the first time I saw chamber flags being used.
The only down side to a chamber flag to me is the action has to be open. One of the matches we shot has a lot of sand/dirt and it was windy, bolt and action got a lot of dirt in them just sitting around. We ended up doing like we do at the pistol match, remove mag, show clear, close bolt and put it away.

Reactions: WileyG