• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you use to spot in competitions?

Blaster01

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 29, 2020
Salem, OR
I’m wondering what everyone is using to spot in competitions? Is mostly just spotting scopes or are some of you guys using binos too? And if you don’t mind, brand and model of your favorite one to use. Getting started down the rabbit hole and trying to decide whether to buy binos that can double for hunting or if I need a dedicated spotter for competitions. Thanks guys!

I am seeing less and less spotting scopes at club matches lately. Everyone seems to be going to Binocs. Swaro, vortex, are pretty common.

just see what your budget is and that will quickly let you know what brands to look at.

I would like to keep it to about 1200 bucks. Do you know off the top of your head what a popular magnification is for the guys using binos? I was thinking about the maven 12x56 b.4 binos. Those would be perfect if they worked in a competition scenario to double for hunting as well.

I would like to keep it to about 1200 bucks. Do you know off the top of your head what a popular magnification is for the guys using binos? I was thinking about the maven 12x56 b.4 binos. Those would be perfect if they worked in a competition scenario to double for hunting as well.

Look at the meopta binos at that price range.

@gr8fuldoug can help you out with this.

As far as matches. Binos are king. You use both eyes and the FOV is better than most spotters.

The only use I have with spotters is a reticle to mil target width for wind bracketing or when the target is very small or far.

Also, for PRS only, you’ll want 15x. But you’ll have to keep them on a tripod.

If you plan on double duty as matches and hunting (or freehand use) you’ll want 10x
So you wouldn’t recommend meeting in the middle with 12s and running a tripod? I find myself wishing I had more magnification than my 10s when I’m hunting as it is. Or would that be the kind of deal where it would be good at two things instead of the 15s bring great at one thing?

So you wouldn’t recommend meeting in the middle with 12s and running a tripod? I find myself wishing I had more magnification than my 10s when I’m hunting as it is. Or would that be the kind of deal where it would be good at two things instead of the 15s bring great at one thing?

I find 12x to be so in the middle they are just slightly better than worthless.

Too much magnification to free hand, and if on a tripod, might as well get the 15x.

That’s just my personal experience. I’ve never been happy with 12x.

It’s been my experience that 12x is not much more then 10x and big views start at 15/16x

If you want one pair of binos for spotting and hunting- I like 12x. I have no trouble spotting at matches with them on a tripod. I like them for hunting out west where distances can be long. 10x is obviously better if all you do is offhand, but even when hunting, I'm rarely using them unsupported for much more than a quick look. I pretty much always use a tripod/pack/elbows on knees/ etc. 15x is nice for running on a tripod, but on a mountain hunt- no way am I packing 2 pairs of binos. So 12x is the one binos compromise for me. If I had a pair only for spotting at matches, I'd go 15x for sure.

I’ve been using the 10x42 rangefinding Bushnell binos on a tripod mount. Good enough to spot targets, decent for mirage, ranging targets helps verify its the right target. I’ve been happy with them.

I personally use 12x binos. Work great at a match I really don't feel like they are underpowered at all. I usually have them on a tripod but when I am first scouting targets at the stage I have them off the tripod.

I wish I had a nice pair of 15x Swarovski... but I just can't swing that.

Picked up a set of leupold bx5 santiam 15x56 from europtic on sale a few months back. Love them for spotting.

I spot with a USO Field Spotter 15-45x60 (Special ordered reticle in the early days of USO by John who owned the company when they were in Brea, Ca.), 701 head w/ Manfrotto x55 tripod and short staff. The USO Spotter is no longer in production from USO. *Many on here hated the eye relief of the USO field spotter and got rid of theirs, I'm not one of them and mine is not for sale). My binos that I seldom use for competition are the Zeiss 8x56 Victory FL. Also discontinued from Zeiss.
Is there better glass available out there today? Sure, but it's subjective to the individual user eye sight. If I was in the market today I'd look through as many spotters and bino's as you can preferably at a match for a "side by side" for a comparison as the quality has got much better since my purchases. There are venders on SH that can help you with your purchase.

Last edited:
Swaro 15x56 slc. Retired my razor 16 to 48 x65mm spotter always tripod mounted. For stability spot 6mm hits at 1450+ yds.

I use a Leupold Mk4 spotter, mostly because the eye relief is great for wearing glasses full-time... Also nice to dial up to @30X+ for reading mirage on target edges and spotting all those little 6mm and .223 shooters hitting heavy far steel, lol, and it's light.
I also have some Bushnell Forge 15x binos, and they are better than you'd expect for the price, especially with the mil-leo price, and those too, are glasses friendly.
Lots of great options these days at your price point.
PXL_20201003_150546760.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyzrd and sleeplz
I ran vortex Diamondback HD 15x56 yesterday at out league finals and they did pretty great for the price. Then someone let me run their hensoldt 45 and I realized what great glass looks like.

Reactions: Kane0519
I’m using a vortex 15x56 bino for PRS type matches. No problem spotting impacts at 600-1200 yards.
I was spotting with them at 1000 with out much issue, so people who looked through them complained they looked foggy but everyone’s eyes are different.

A 15x56 Binocular on a tripod seems to be as good as it gets. Swarovski SLC 15x56 are the most beautiful I’ve looked through. The Bushnell Forge’s have very high quality glass in the sub $1k range. The Meopta’s have terrific glass too but cost a bit more than the Bushnells - haven’t had them side by side but wouldn’t be mad spending a full day spotting behind any of the three.

Thanks for all the input guys! Anyone have any info on the zeiss conquest 15x56 binos? I have a lead on a pair for a pretty good price.

I love the Sig kilo3000 my buddy has. They are so crystal clear.

I switched from a Leupold Mk4 spotter to Bushnell Forge 15x56 binos. I like the Bushnell's but someday I will upgrade to some Swaro's.

The only thing I miss from my Mk4 is the reticle.

1603563036438.png

better learn to stand on one foot while tap dancing real fast lol . you can do it .