• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you use your rifles for?

BLAKSUNZ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Oxford, MS
Just thinking out loud but what do you use your rifles for (recreation, home defense, LE, competition, ect) and how do you justify your purchases?

What I mean by justify is how did you settle on a particular type of rifle? Examples:

Carbine: AR-15, AK
SPR: MK12
Battle Rifle: Scar 17, PWS MK2
DMR: M1A
SASS: KAC, GAP-10

Really I'm trying to get an idea of do you guys subscribe to the thought of multipurpose weapon systems (i.e. using a Battle rifle for closer ranges as well as extended while sacrificing some accuracy and added weight). Or would you rather "have the right tool for the job?"

For me personally, I buy my firearms for personal/home protection, recreation and just plain enjoy the challenge of learning a skill.

Re: What do you use your rifles for?

I bought (2) POF 308 rifles because I wanted them. That was the only justification I needed.

just because! buy one for each that will cover the itch....maybe!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought (2) POF 308 rifles because I wanted them. That was the only justification I needed. </div></div>

Ha. Damn good answer. Are you that blunt to people to their face when they ask you about guns? Cause if you are...we should be friends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLAKSUNZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought (2) POF 308 rifles because I wanted them. That was the only justification I needed. </div></div>

Ha. Damn good answer. Are you that blunt to people to their face when they ask you about guns? Cause if you are...we should be friends. </div></div>

Affirmative. Kinda like the guy at the last big gun show was telling me how much he could buy a rifle like mine for on Gunbroker ($2000) and I told him he was "full of shit because I look at gunbroker on pretty much a daily basis" and I could tell him what my setup cost right down to the penny, and it damn sure wasn't $2000.

Damn noobs...and you could tell he was trying to impress is old lady standing next to him – FAIL.

All my rifles/ pistols are part of an evolving shooting collection.

RKBA, collection, recreation, self-defense/SHTF, my man toys...in that order
grin.gif

AvsFan
cool.gif

I think all my firearms are multipurpose, and if I need to justify the aquisition to someone (the wife) the purpose I think they'll find most reasonable will be touted along with its adaptability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........because I wanted them. That was the only justification I needed. </div></div>

Bravo! The second amendment's alternate justification.......besides defending ourselves from our own govt.

This is why the NFA should just go away.....because I wanted a beltfed full auto short barrelled shotgun with 3 foot suppressor!

Compensating for my mouse sized junk.

Most of the guns I own I purchased just because I wanted them. I guess you really do not need 6 Ar's but I have 6. Some for home defense some for recreation, all are a bit different. Have several bolt action rifles several lever guns and hand guns. I like a good mix of calibers so one just would not do. The number one reason I own the guns I own, because I can. God bless the second amendment!

I use them for shooting stuff and killing stuff. But they are also there for home defense. Also jst because I can. Some play golf, I like to shoot. Plus its every citizen's duty to be able to defend themselves and this great country . Just my .02.
One of these days I would like to take some formal training and possibly do some comps. Just to do it.

Here is how I get mine. I want one if I have enough cash to get it I get it. If I do not I save until I have enough. My reasons are I want it and the second amendment states I can have it. Actual use is hunting and making noise.

i lay mine all around me and fondle myself lookin at them, if one cant bring me to climax i sell it, i dont shoot them, they are for jerkin fuel only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you justify your purchases? </div></div>
You mean you have to <span style="font-style: italic">justify</span> them?
shocked.gif

I bought my first one because someone was selling it for dirt cheap ($400) for an AR-15, the second one I built from scratch and use it for target shooting. As far as deciding how/why to go that route it was a matter of my wife not being willing to let me spend 2000 up front so I just bought parts when I could.

I use my rifle mainly for shooting different competitions in Southern California, Nevada and Arizona.

i use them for looking cool and sounding like a bad ass on the internet. how is everyone supposed to know how ninja'tastic i am if i don't have rifles i never shoot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use them for looking cool and sounding like a bad ass on the internet. how is everyone supposed to know how ninja'tastic i am if i don't have rifles i never shoot... </div></div>

Silence Barrista Boy and go get me my Latte!

Why tell the wife about the new ones at all. i lean it up by a shotgun for a week or so until she has seen it a few times, after 20 years she quit questioning 10 years ago. as long as the bills are paid she doesnt say too much about my gun purchases. hell she told me to buy a pair of stainless sig P226's a few months ago because it was a good deal. now the boat i put under the shed last week ive yet to figure out how im gonna splain that one to her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why tell the wife about the new ones at all. i lean it up by a shotgun for a week or so until she has seen it a few times, after 20 years she quit questioning 10 years ago. as long as the bills are paid she doesnt say too much about my gun purchases. hell she told me to buy a pair of stainless sig P226's a few months ago because it was a good deal. now the boat i put under the shed last week ive yet to figure out how im gonna <span style="color: #FF0000">splain</span> that one to her. </div></div>

You have alot of "splaining" to do for that boat fella.

Because its so much funner than buying my girlfriend a diamond ring. My rifles keep me from getting married cause I can't afford a ring.

i use my guns for fun, nothing else and buy them cause i can. in the event needed for home defense, i have them. if SHTF, i have them. wifey doesn't mind as i don't take away from her. she has her hobbies, i have mine.

Because I wanted them. I don't hunt much anymore but love to shoot. I always remember what a friend taught me years ago, an armed man is a citizen, and an unarmed man is a subject. My guns insure I shall never be the latter.

I think we all just have the same disease........ FEAR NOT!!!! There is NO cure

I appreciate the craftsmanship, engineering, etc... put into them.
Most all I love the smell of burnt gun powder
smile.gif

M1A Super Match is there for me to practice the "Riflemans Creed".

The other stuff is there just to make the safe look full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To prop open doors.
</div></div>

I use a screwed up AFG as a door prop shim.

I use mine to test my resolve to do my part.Whether targets,game or having fun.

I was having nightmares. I would dream that my property was being overrun with ZOMBIES - hundreds of them - every night. I could not sleep.

Then I started buying a new gun every couple months. From small .380 pistols to .50 BMG rifles. I felt much better.

At night I now close my eyes and fall into a nice peaceful sleep, where I shoot any and every zombie that trespasses on my land. I usually start shooting them past a mile, but occasionally a couple dozen or more slip past my outer perimeter. Then I switch to various caliber guns and pick them off.

You can never have too many guns. I multipurpose gun is only good if that is the only weapon you have and no others are available. A little like shooting golf with one club.

I have sweet dreams.

I love the excitement of the violence of pulling the trigger
I believe that people should understand guns whether they like them or not!!!
If there is a time you need to protect yourself or your family knowledge of a firearm will be well placed
I buy guns that talk to me
Shoot them and listen to them either say
In the safe
Or to
Gunbroker !!!
John

Protection from inflation...

I use them as an investment. They don't have the longevity of gold, but they'll last more than a lifetime with a little care. They'll become more valuable if or when dollars and stocks become less valuable. They keep their value better than food and fuel, and they help protect other valuables.

I haven't needed to shoot anything in the 60 years since my father taught me the basics on a 22LR, but they're more enjoyable for keeping up the skills to use them than watching stock growth in a portfolio.

I agree with almost all you guys but.... I have purchased a number of weapons that sit in my safe some un-fired. Having multiple calibers can lead to confusion sometimes. You need to keep records on each gun and siting system. What ammo each likes best and what your scope retical measurement are. Multiple cleaning equipment and accessories. Also just having multiple boxes of ammo with large price tags sitting around waiting to be fired is costly.

I have this conversation with my brother all the time. He asks me about a rifle and I ask him " what do you plan on doing with it ". If you have a 300 mag do you need a 7mm. I am as quilty as the rest with impulse buying. I have stopped that now. I now pick a gun from the safe and stick with that weapon till I get to know it.

Just sitting and staring at a $ 5000 set-up is fun but shooting it is better. The only advise I would give is , buy what you want but stay with that weapon system till you know it well. How it shoots, what the trigger feels like, what ammo it likes. Get all your accessories for it. Try to avoid buying a gun that you will sell later because you don't like it. You will most likely loose money on selling it.

On last thing, your warranty is usually one year from purchase. Keep that in mind if the weapon is sitting in the safe for a couple years and you then take it out and have a problem with it you may have to pay to get it fixed.