• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does upgrading your stock do for you?

The russian 1021

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2014
Was wondering what a stock upgrade can do to make my rifle shoot better.
Want to know in mechanical terms and what it does for me to allow me to shoot better.
I have a rem 700 sps varmint in 308, want to upgade to a usmc contract a4 macmillian.

Generally speaking, a factory stock will be flexible and might cause shooting errors. Most aftermarket stocks are made very stiff so when pressure is applied during firing, it maintains its form, taking stock flex out of the equation. Also, aftermarket stocks can have greater adjust-ability than factory stocks, allowing customization of the ergonomics.

I am relatively new to the shooting world but I will give this a go from what I have learned. Upgrading from a Hogue or similar "tupperware" stock to a Bell and Carlson, McMillan, AICS is going to increase rigidity. One plus to this is that the barrel will not contact the forend under recoil and not mess with harmonics during the shot. It also can add weight (chassis systems?) which will also help with recoil management as there is more mass to be moved by the recoil....I think. Remember my advice is worth about what you paid for it...

In addition to better mechanically supporting the rifle during firing, the right stock upgrade will help YOU shoot better. Many shooters try very hard to adapt their body style to the rifle stock. What they should do is adapt the rifle to their body:
1. Length of Pull - An adjustable stock will let you get LOP correct for yourself; this helps place your shooting hand on the stock in the right place, helps get your head / cheek in the right place, support it there without neck strain, lets your head lay naturally into the eye box (once you have also properly adjusted your scope mounting).
2. Cheek height - an adjustable cheek riser will finish the job of putting your eye in the eye box WITHOUT STRAIN. Your head should just fall onto the cheek piece and be supported there, with your eye looking exactly into the center of the eye piece and from the correct distance. KEEP ADJUSTING IT UNTIL YOU ACHIEVE THIS. Any strain or stress you find where you are craning or twisting your neck, or hunching your shoulders, etc is bad bad bad. Natural point of aim is what you seek.

It took awhile, and many adjustments and range trips, but I can now lay on my rifle for more than an hour at a time during a several hour practice session and not be stiff, tired, sore, etc. It should feel natural and comfortable. If you're straining anywhere, you're probably doing it wrong. The right stock will let you achieve this.