• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does your match rifle weight?

just browsing

overkill is underrated
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    NE PA
    I understand that it's personal preference, but I'd like to hear some different setups, how much they weigh, and some different opinions on weight (what you like, don't like, would do differently, etc). I personally like mine a little on the heavier side for stability and recoil management, but I think there comes a point that it becomes too heavy/unbalanced.

Let's assume that most shooting is done from supported positions, though unsupported is possible. No hunting, just tactical competition. What factors are most important to you?

My MPA BA 6.5 comp gun with Bushnell HDMR weighs in right at 16.9 lbs empty. For me the balance is more important the the raw weight. As long as it's nimble/handy enough i think a reasonable weight helps me build better positions and i feel it "settles" better into an NPOA when shooting unsupported stages...just my .02 though.

I tried to go lighter for my PRS comp gun. Manners elite carbon fiber T2A w/ mini-chassis, Rem Varmint barrel 26", Kahles 624i scope. Right at around 14.5 with a Harris bipod and empty mag. Still a substansial rifle but a bit easier to handle than my prior build with heavy stock and heavy barrel profile. Honestly heavy isn't a bad thing especially for recoil management, but mine's a 6 Dasher so there's not much recoil to begin with.

Surgeon 6.5x47, 23.5’' Rem varmint profile barrel, Manners-T5+mini-chassis with XLR cheek-piece, March 5-40, 10rd AI Mag, Atlas Bipod = 6.3kg/13.88lbs. Dropping the bipod and swapping to a plastic Magpul 5rd mag = 5.8/12.78lbs. I can’t see myself ever wanting to run anything heavier than 14.5lbs on a non magnum

Last edited:
    Running a tempest based 6.5x47, 23" heavy palma, manners T4A elite with the minichassis barricade stop, atlas, scope, and can it's at 17lbs. For comp it's fine. Hunting...well it blows lol

I went the opposite direction than some. I started off with a super light setup. My goal was a competition rifle under 12 pounds. Tikka action, Medium palma at 24 inches, XLR Carbon chassis, and Vortex PST. I can't recall the exact weight but it was right at like 12 pounds with bipod and a mag.
    But then I shot my buddy's gun which weighed about 16 pounds (Vortex Razor Gen 2 scope and an MPA chassis added weight) and I realized that I preferred the gain in recoil management more than the light weight (at least for competition). So my following builds got heavier lol. Weight isn't a concern anymore, as much as feel and ergonomics.

I don't really know why I wanted a light gun to start with. I think I had it in my mind that my competition gun would also be my go-to hunting/plinking rig... But that never seems to be the case lol. Having two different, purpose built dedicated rifles was definitely the right choice for me.

I went from 18lbs and felt it was too heavy and built another rifle that weighed 13.5-14lbs but found it too light for PRS type matches and couldnt stabilize it great in some positions. I now sold everything and my new rifle is at 16lbs maybe 16.5 and i feel its perfect.

i do also agree though balance is more important. I prefer the center to be just in front of the magazine.

My rifles are between 16-18 pounds.

I went from a 19lb Sauer STR200 in 6,5x55 swede with a suppressor and Razor Gen 2 to a blueprinted Remington 700 in 6,5x47 lapua with a palma profile barrel and Mcmillan stock that weigh about 14,5lb. I really prefer the R700.

I went from 18lbs and felt it was too heavy and built another rifle that weighed 13.5-14lbs but found it too light for PRS type matches and couldnt stabilize it great in some positions. I now sold everything and my new rifle is at 16lbs maybe 16.5 and i feel its perfect.

i do also agree though balance is more important. I prefer the center to be just in front of the magazine.

This

I believe mine is 20-21 lbs. JAE, M24, pretty much all the heavy stuff you can add to it. If i could make it 25, I would.

Haven't had a chance to compete yet, but it's the rifle I've been practicing with and plan on using when I get the chance.
    AI AT Folder
    24" 6.5 Creedmoor WIN tactical Barrel (Bartline heavy palma contour) with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 30 cal suppressor
    Bushnell ERS 3.5-21X50 in ARC rings
    FTW HAD suppressor cover
    Atlas Bipod on a Spigot mount
    and a sling that I for get the make of.
    With and empty mag in the gun it weighs about 18.25 pounds, but balances very well.

I have a .223 Tikka T3 in a KRG Xray chassis,
    22" Light palma barrel
    Silencerco Specwar 556
    Bushnell ERS
    Harris 6-9 swivel leg notch bipod
    Empty with a mag, it comes in around 14.5 pounds but doesn't balance near as well as my AT.

I believe mine is 20-21 lbs. JAE, M24, pretty much all the heavy stuff you can add to it. If i could make it 25, I would.

This is my exact setup.

JAE, Defiance, M24 Brux with BugNut system from SPR. With optic, rings, bipod, suppressor it definitely weighs north of 20 lbs. I was concerned when I picked it up and couldn't shoulder it for more than like 30 seconds without having to take a breather, and then I shot it and realized how nice it was. Having to shoot unsupported would suck, but given how many times I'll be shooting it like that (or lack of) I think all of my future builds will follow the same suit. Balance and ergonomics are also more important factors than overall weight in my opinion.

Recoil and stability shooting from barriers are unbelievably easy compared to my lighter rifles. I just didn't know what other guys preferred.

I have Bighorn TL2 with a 24 inch fluted benchmark barrel sendoro profile. Its in a krg xray with a Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56. With magpul mag and bipod Im in the 13-14 pound range.

I can't shoot any form of comp that does not concentrate on a stationary firing discipline, primarily because of age and medical issues. But those every conditions may give me an edge when trying to figure out how I might go about configuring a rifle to do such things, given my own personal drawbacks.

First, I would value portable and wieldy at the top of my list. To meet that, I'd draw the upward weight limit at around 8-9 pounds. But one does not need to be in my boat to find this limit desirable.

IMHO, barrel weight adds advantage in sustained fire, and not much elsewhere. Throwing in mass absorbs heat, and radiates it slower. The slim barrels shed that heat faster, carrying no heat overhead to the next stage. Unless courses of fire involve strings larger than 5 rounds at a time, I believe extra barrel mass is not helping.

I took 4th in the NJ State Sniper Championships in 1997 with a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .30-'06 mounting a Weaver V-16, and a Harris Bipod. I fired FGMM 168's. Clearly not the same sort of comp as much we discuss here, I think that M70 would have been even better suited for what most run-n-gun tactical type shooters engage in here at SH.

I personally believe that although a heavy barreled range queen with some effort to harden it for rough handling has been the norm for literally decades in the tactical community, its probably not the really, very best way to go for something that is really a hunting application.

Good accuracy is not solely the province of the LR match rifle, as my older .30-06 Featherweight has repeatedly demonstrated in tactical competitions. Good ammo, good skills, and good, but lightweight rifle components can also deliver the mail when and where needed.

What they can't do is hold a position in a sustained firefight. But if that's where they find themselves, then the entire situation has gone pear shaped (Infantry, and not tactical); and the heavy barreled LR match rifle is still not the better choice among those available.

I just really think that some decisions made decades ago about the direction of Tactical Operator employment needed to take have come too far on down through those decades to burden and overload that operator, and unnecessarily so. What I think is needed is a basic, rugged, lightweight hunting rifle with medium power variable optics, and adding a sling and a Harris style bipod would be my favored choice.

If recoil management under sustained fire has become a requirement for the Tactical Operator's mission, then I believe a strategic mistake was made somewhere. If sustained fire plays any role in the SWS acceptance regimen, then again, a strategic mistake has been made. One shot, one kill is not about sustained fire.

And the .308 was never the right chambering for anybody's purposes besides Supply. Go either up or down in chambering to favor the longer end of the trajectory. I like the .30-'06 or .260 for that role better. Going with the big Magnums is also a mistake. Non-human target destruction is an artillery mission, where the Scout Sniper performs the forward observation role.

Maybe not what folks here might want to hear, but maybe still worth listening to.

Now, then; for the stationary sustained firing role, the heavy barrel becomes the desired component. However, it still comprises a thermally saturated heat sink after some sustained fire. The thermal burden takes far too long to equalize with ambient, and is not an advantage. Some of the recent advances in thermally conductive 'heavy' contour barrels probably offer significant advantage on this front. Better to shed heat rapidly than to accumulate it indefinitely.

And weight is not something I will ever again look forward to. At its 11.34lb loaded weight, even my old M-14 was unnecessarily heavy and I carried that sucker 24/7 for 13 months in a war zone. As a basic rifleman I could do effective damage a 500 meters with it that few occupants of the battlefield can do today. What I'm saying here is that not all of the thinking behind today's war fighting role may work as well as was common in earlier, simpler times. At 6ft Plus and fully equipped to come ashore, I still weighed under 250lb. Try finding that today.

And don't get me going on my Sweetheart Garand... Heavy, yep; but don't be on the downrange end of the trajectory. 600yd is just spittin' distance...

Wrapping up, this post may seem to have gotten rather far afield from discussing match rifles. But for the tactical competition, should it be?

Greg

Last edited: