• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What exactly is the Stolen Valor Act?

Foul Mike

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2001
Eastern Colorado
Not sure where this comes from but it did result in an Asswhipping for a dude that was hanging around our local library. It was 20 years ago.
My children would come home from the library all revved up and thinking I could talk to some old Vet that I would have something in common with. My kids thought it would be good for me to talk to this guy and maybe I would be better off from it. God Bless their souls, they tried.
I went to the library and met this guy, dressed in Camo, and talked to him.
I asked,"What unit were you in?"
His reply was,"I was in Special Warfare and all of my orders are sealed."
I asked him about what Corp he was in such as I Corp. III Corp. or whatever.
He told me that was classified and he cound not talk about it. He had been all over the zone.
I smelled a rat.
I was cool about it, but wondering why this guy dressed in camo and was so secretive
I asked about town and found out that he had NEVER been in the Armed Forces, let alone "My"
Army. He was a total SHAM.
Yet here he was trying to get sympathy from my kids and all the other library people around him. I was pissed and confronted him. It was not nice.
He got a Downtown Five Points Asswhuppin.[To include kickin in his balls, as small as they were. 1st Cav. and we were there.
Does this relate to anything you other guys have come across?
Regards, FM

Reactions: Bender
Re: What exactly is the Stolen Valor Act?

The sad fact of the matter is that there always have been and always will be those sad individuals who have to lie about their past to others to feel good about themselves. The ones who lie just to feel important get my pity as they are mentally troubled, the one who lie for personal gain are worth nothing but scorn and disgust.

I know two individuals who never made it though basic, one due to a broken leg (according to him) and the other due to being a sociopath (again, his words) Now I give them both credit in at least trying to serve their country, however I do shake my head in pity when the one posts pics of himself of facebook in PTs and talks about how he was supposed to have been SF and had an 18x-ray contract. That I have issues with and have not talked to him since

"Code name Agent Orange. Ben Gay, '69. Got pretty hot over there."

Man, I remember the 'Nam, man it was hot, humid too like a mofo. We was in this classified helo unit and we had miniguns on the sides. We always took snipers into the bush so they could hunt and they had some serious nice rifles man, US Optics scopes, and the rifles were really nice winchesters with these newfangled McMillan stocks. Them blackhawks were the cat's ass man and they even gave us all these cool medals with a knife and leaves on them ya know?

WAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA, some fuckers are just fuckers

i was a scout artillary sniper machine gunner in the 1st world war and panama. id say more but its secret squirrel stuff so....lets just say i know my way around a sks sniper rifle and me and billy zane are tight.

Reactions: MarinePMI

I was a Pipe Major in the Black Watch and piped my battalion into battle on the first day of the Somme.....

I was an Electrician. And a Mortar Magnet. Let's be truthful here, I hated the whole experience every minute, and was scared spitless far too much of the time. I learned a lot of things, and some of them were better than others. I have no bones about folks who never made the trip, and utterly despise those who say they did and are lying about it. I used to get surly over such things, but nowadays, I figure if they can piss me off, they can piss someone else off too, and it's their turn to take out the trash now. I did my part and now it's done.

I met a guy in Walmart, missing a leg, wearing a high tech replacement, served in the sandbox with the Herd (173d). Had the lingo, and knew his unit, and everything. Legit, as far as I cold tell.
As we parted, he asked me if I knew of a "Special Forces Organization".
I said "Of course, you mean the SF Association, but you had to be SF qualified to join (as far as I know). "Oh, I am, I was everything, just one step below Delta Force."
I said "To join the Association, you had to have attended Q school."
"Oh, yeah, I did"
We parted ways. I don't know why a man with an egregious wound, who has obviously served his country, would have to embellish his service. All I coiuld think was that although in the Herd, he was probably just a REMF, and lost his leg in a drinking accident. Or something equally ignominious.

On another occasion, I read in our small town newspaper that a new guy from back east was coming out to live here and take over a job that works for our county and the neighboring county.
In the article, he told the interviewer that he was a Navy SEAL (spelled like the ball balancing animal, but I blame the reporter for that).

Thinking that perhaps the real deal wouldn't mention it in a interview except to say perhaps, that he was "in the Navy", I contacted those people who do that kind of research.
They landed on this guy like a ton of bricks. He was a phony, never even served in the military. The guy resigned without taking the job.

To the OP: Read the book "Stolen Valor".
Then do a google search for Stolen Valor Act, and you will get a straightforward definition of the act, and it's penalties.
When you have done your homework, report back here and give a synopsis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was Jump Master for the Wright Brothers.........does that count.</div></div>

really....how many jumps though the apex ya got ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was the chief groom of Bucephalus.
</div></div>

You were in a polygamous relationship with Alexander the Great's Horse?

I knew a dude, who knew a dude, who knew a dude, but its all ubber secret squirrel and if I had to disclose it I'd have to . . . well you know and I don't want to have to . . . you know . . . so w'll just say yeah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Timberwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I knew a dude, who knew a dude, who knew a dude</div></div>
I am that dude!
tropic_thunder_2008_3.jpg

This dude that pisses me off so much didn't show up around the library after the Downtown, Fivepoints 1st Cav. Ass whippin I gave him until recently.
We have a local oilman that has contributed Boo Coo bucks to make things good for our community. We are talking about millions of bucks here.
I thought I had seen the last of the SHAM after the asskick ceremony I held for him 20 years ago.
That is not how it is. He shows up for dedications, etc. representing the Old Vets and accepting donations as an Old Veteran and Friend of the Library. Not a legitimate Vet in sight.
My blood boils. Here he is again. I guess it is time to take my cane and go down there and give him another Downtown Fivepoints 1st Cav asswhuppin.
How do you expose the assholes for what they are?
When I delivered the first asskick my daughter looked at me and said,"Daddy, I didn't know you could be so mean and hurt someone like that, you hit him a lot and he is hurt. Shouldn't we go help him?"
I told her "No, he needed that, he is totally Bullshit and he can take care of himself."
Now here he is back again. How do you expose these bullshit artists?
The next time I take care of him I will probably be charged with assault and battery causing facial contusions and lacerations of the scalp, but I ain't letting this SHAM go on.
Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was Jump Master for the Wright Brothers.........does that count.</div></div>

I can't stop laughing at this one.
laugh.gif
Dag!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The next time I take care of him I will probably be charged with assault and battery causing facial contusions and lacerations of the scalp, but I ain't letting this SHAM go on.
Regards, FM </div></div>

Just thinking outwardly here, and not suggesting anything, but...

If a person were to hypothetically be "penalized" for doing something "politically incorrect" (?), then one would think that having the experience of tattooing "fake" on someone's forehead would be somewhat "equalizing".

Just abjectly thinking out loud, here.

FM

If the guy never served at all then he is under the stolen valor act if he says he got any medals or awards. You can't say you served when you never did, and you can't say you were in combat when you never were. The asshole Marine congresscritter just found out the hard way.
I never went overseas even though I served during Desert Storm. I am careful to say it that way because the guys in my unit who went overseas took risks that I did not. I was willing but did not get orders.
For the guy you are talking about, if he never took an oath and wore a uniform and says he has medals then he is in violation of the Stolen Valor Act.

Doc, that's almost it:

Under the Act it is illegal for unauthorized persons to <span style="font-weight: bold">wear, buy, sell, barter, trade or manufacture</span> "<span style="text-decoration: underline">any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces</span>."

The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 amended the federal criminal code to expand the prohibition against wearing, manufacturing, or selling military decorations or medals without legal authorization and to prohibit purchasing, soliciting, mailing, shipping, importing, exporting, producing blank certificates of receipt for, advertising, or exchanging such decorations or medals without authorization.

It only prohibits falsely representing oneself as having been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the Armed Forces and any of the service medals or badges.

The 2005 revision increased penalties for violations if the offense involves a Distinguished Service Cross, an Air Force Cross, a Navy Cross, a silver star, or a Purple Heart.

See it here:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:h3352ih.txt.pdf

something i just thought of thats odd to me is all the guys that were running around with "national defense" ribbon during desert storm whether they ever deployed there or not. i think this is a common ocurrence but seems strange to me.

I need to know how to get ahold of someone who deals with these SHAM jobs in my area.
There are not a lot of VietNam vets in my area but there are a few.
None of us go around dressed in camo looking for sympathy or recognition. We don't want that. We have all for the most part just held jobs and worked hard to raise our families and take care of each other.
This ASSHOLE makes all of us that did go look bad. He is not at all like the real Vets that are here.
He is well known by the real Vets that are from this area that he never left the county, let alone went into the military service.
He embarrasses us, yet I am the only one that kicked his ass and that lasted for around 20 years.
He's back, needing another ASSKICK, Ball Kick, Downtown Five Points 1st.Cav. ASSWHUPPIN and I am getting old enough that I don't want to do it again. I did it once so I guess I can do it again but wonder if there isn't a better way where I don't get arrested for A&B with all the facial contusions and lacerations to the scalp and me going to jail for it.
Maybe I need to work out my Hide well enough that I don't get caught but as old as I am I don't run too well.
For him, caning is a good thing.
Doorkicker, If I had a Vagina it would not have sand in it, it would be razor blades. I have balls. Regards, FM

SOCNET is usually good at busting these turds. They really like to hit the ones who claim SEALS, Delta, SF, and Ranger. Most of the guys there worked hard to get the tittles and take it very seriously. I worked with a bunch of guys in Iraq who were SF, and Delta. Even one who was reported to be the Daddy of Delta (the Fonz) in which the other guys were telling me this. I think most of the crew I was working with retired or got out in the early to mid 90's. Most had Nam experience and all were real low key about being SF/Delta etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc, that's almost it:

Under the Act it is illegal for unauthorized persons to <span style="font-weight: bold">wear, buy, sell, barter, trade or manufacture</span> "<span style="text-decoration: underline">any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces</span>."

The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 amended the federal criminal code to expand the prohibition against wearing, manufacturing, or selling military decorations or medals without legal authorization and to prohibit purchasing, soliciting, mailing, shipping, importing, exporting, producing blank certificates of receipt for, advertising, or exchanging such decorations or medals without authorization.

It only prohibits falsely representing oneself as having been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the Armed Forces and any of the service medals or badges.

The 2005 revision increased penalties for violations if the offense involves a Distinguished Service Cross, an Air Force Cross, a Navy Cross, a silver star, or a Purple Heart.

See it here:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:h3352ih.txt.pdf </div></div>

So they have to be in possession of a medal and claim it for their own rather that just claiming to have the award.
Thanks for the clarification.
I guess all FM can do is just publicly point out the guy is a poser.

To receive the National Defence ribbon one simply needs to serve during certain time periods, thats all. I don't have the dates infront of me but I know that they are listed in AR 670-1.

I havent dealt with anything about this personally, but ive read about a guy that claimed to have been awarded the Medal of Honor, got this chick to fall for him because of his "war stories". She was all proud and heard about a vet thing going on in the town. She talked her fiancee up and the guy who was doing this was going to have him as a guest of honor. After doing some checking they found out he was a hoax and got nailed for his lies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To receive the National Defence ribbon one simply needs to serve during certain time periods, thats all. I don't have the dates infront of me but I know that they are listed in AR 670-1. </div></div>

AR 600-8-22 Military Awards: (11 December 2006)

<span style="font-weight: bold">2–10. National Defense Service Medal</span>
a. ...
b. It is awarded for honorable active service for any period between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954, both dates
inclusive; between 1 January 1961 and 14 August 1974, both dates inclusive; between 2 August 1990 and 30
November 1995; and from 11 September 2001 to a date to be determined. ...

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm I am sorry to say this is one of my favorite places to surf on the net. It is truly amazing to hear some of the bullshit people try to pull off. What really amazes me it that there is people out there getting service connected disability and other VA benefits without even spending one day in any branch of the military.

First off, I want to thank you all for your help. This thing ain't pretty. I find it to be very offensive to the other Vets in my area and since I have taken such an offense individually, I feel it needs comment.
From my posts before you can tell this was a thing once and fell silent for many years. I did good on the ASS KICKS much to the dismay of others.
I went to a little gathering today where people were accepting recognition for their help.
ASSBREATH the SHAM was there to get it for the Vets.
I held my cool and waited;
When they called him out to accept his contribution from the Vets I stood up and walked down the aisle and stood in front of him. He was dressed up in camo with a dew rag on his head, I was pissed and ready to go. There I was in my coveralls ready to do another beatdown.
He saw me and did a quick Exit Stage Left, and was no more to be seen again
The people that were running the dog and pony show were looking for him, but he was gone.
The lady[local socialite] looked around and said something to the effect,"I guess the Veterans don't want to be recognized as their representative has left the area."
Nothing more was said, he was gone.
She looked at me and asked me to,"Please take a seat as you have disrupted our meeting."
I duffed, jettin in the wind. Happy. I belive the wind was caused by the rotor wash from a Slick flown many years ago by someone in the 1st. Cav. and just placed there for me by the Big Commanding General. There wasn't any wind about town other than there. Regards, FM

Foul Mike,

Good on ya, for what you've done.

Would you care to explain to me though, why you didn't/wouldn't take that opportunity to "out" the sham publicly? Whilst you had the venue?

I may be missing something, but for everyone to know explicitly that he is a quack, and has been for some time is important, no?

It'll only happen, when people will accept it. And no, I'm not putting you on the spot. I'm just wondering why, is all.

Respectfully, Sean.

Sean, You are right, I should have raised hell.
The socialites were a bit upset with me and I was expecting a Cop to come in at any minute as the Cop Shop is across the street.
I was mad as hell and figured it best to get away.
I got 2 calls from people who were there and told them what the deal is. In a town this size I am sure the word is out all over by now. Regards, FM

Wow. Old Thread.
Howsumever, I just had it refreshed that at an advanced age, there are STILL Viet Nam aged claimants to the honor and pleasure of Viet Nam service. Especially all those untold millions of Ranger/SEALS, etc.
Last week I attended an HOA Christmas Party. Whoopy. Seated at a table with a bunch of other old farts that I don't know, with about half of them talking about how the weather is affecting their golf game. I lean over and under my breath tell the lady next to me that I always thought a Golf Course was a waste of a good shooting range (You can say that in Texas, about half the women are carrying). Her gentleman then states just barely loudly enough for the entire table to hear that he is a Navy SEAL. Totally out of context. I guess he was talking to the lady on the other side of him.
We ended up at the same table for supper, later, and I asked him about jump school, since I remembered having two squads of Marines, and a platoon of Navy at one end of our formation every morning. The Marines taped their boots, since they had hooks instead of eyelets.
Anyway, he tells me, "I went to jump school, but never jumped out of a plane."
Since we were at the time in polite company (soft Christmas music, in the nice Golf Course hoity-toity restaurant), I smiled and did not jump up and holler "Bullshit, you nasty filthy fucking LEG! (SPIT)". Instead I simply asked, "Why?"
He tells me that suddenly he was awakened by a LT, and told to gather his shit and head for the airport (an LT, and not the CQ runner? more BS), where he was loaded into (this is 1968) a 737, and was the only passenger. Shipped immediately to Coronado, where he then flew to VN to join his team.
I leaned over to him and softly whispered, "Bullshit."
I expect to see him again soon, at some function or other, since my neighbor is the HOA president (which is why my yard looks like "Christmas Vacation" with the RV in front), and I plan on asking him to make sure this guy gets an invite to every single activity so I can pin him down a few time, when I am better prepared.
I checked with Frog at SOCNET, and he advises that no person by that name ever attended SEAL or BUDS. Ever.
I am going to enjoy this.

Wow necropost. On the topic though, chalk up a lot of charlatan activity to mental illness. There seems to be a lot of that going around these days (mental illness that is)

Reactions: Barneybdb
Nothing happens to them if they still do it though, right? There's a bunch of youtube videos, some are hilarious, worth looking into. But I've never seen anyone held accountable for it. Except in Australia. There's a video where he gets turned over to the cops.

I do know that now if you go to clothing and sales and try to buy badges and stuff they check to see if you can. Apparently they only sell 'em to active duty/NG, whatever, and disabled vets/retried vets. I had to show my ID for something, forget what it was, maybe my old unit patch? And the girl at the register had to ask if it's legal to sell those to me. But I know of surplus stores that sell this shit in truckloads, so it's not hard to get. And all the places off post that sell 'em, the seamstresses, etc. Then there's online, you can get anything online.

So I don't get it. Unless the Stolen Valor Act has teeth, it doesn't do anything. They should be fined within reason and put on community service at a VA hospital. Something.

The question is can we prosecute Elizabeth Fauxchahontas Warren with it?
Why go after fake ass Pocahontas when you have Senators falsely claiming Vietnam service? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/richard-blumenthal-vietnam/

The lying liberal should have been drummed out of politics forever, instead his continued reelections do nothing but speak to the stupidity of the New England voter base. I hope he takes away all their guns, because they don't deserve freedom.

Why go after fake ass Pocahontas when you have Senators falsely claiming Vietnam service? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/richard-blumenthal-vietnam/

The lying liberal should have been drummed out of politics forever, instead his continued reelections do nothing but speak to the stupidity of the New England voter base. I hope he takes away all their guns, because they don't deserve freedom.
Remember the interrogation a couple months back, when that fuck was grilling the judge about integrity? Wouldn’t you just love to have been Brett kavanaugh for about 2 minutes? I wouldn’t have been able to contain myself and probably would’ve poured a soda on that scumbag’s head

Those confirmation hearings would be very different if I was on the receiving end of one. I think I would literally pull my dick out, lay it on the table, and tell them to match up if they could while berating them and telling their wife via C-SPAN to come on by later for a real fucking.

Every lying valor thief I've ever busted out had the weakest self image, you can actually make most of them cry and contemplate suicide if you bash on them hard enough. Fuck them.