• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What Flashlight?

My EDC is a Streamlight ProTac 2L-X (like @Kamerad's 1L-1AA but larger & w/ 18650 battery). Light quality and beam are good, switch mode is programmable, and the pocket clip also clips on a hat bill. 3+ years and still going strong, zero complaints.

For WML, Surefire is the proven solution, but ModLite kicks ass and has been holding up well so far.

Have you read the thread at all or just punching letters as fast as you can think of them? I have provided links to everything you're asking for already. Here are a few more. When I first joined this forum is was painfully obvious how much of the population are old, closed minded, and set in their ways. This thread is just another great example of that. There has literally not been a single piece of evidence provided to show Surefire lights are superior, and that is because they're not.

Flashlight Reviews

Flashlight Reviews

I'm looking for a model number genius.

Not a website with hundreds of lights listed I have to go through.

I'm looking for a model number genius.

Not a website with hundreds of lights listed I have to go through.

Jesus christ princess can I wipe your ass for you too or does your boyfriend handle that?

You could close your eyes and click a light on any link I've posted so far and land on something better than a Surefire. Use your own fucking brain every now and again if you have one instead of mooching off everyone else.

In case anyone else is unfortunate enough to stumble across this Surefire circle jerk, here is the Wurkkos FC12 I posted earlier in this thread and a two other alternatives that are all three vastly superior to Surefire.

Wurkkos FC12
Sofirn SC31 Pro
Klarus G15- Since everyone here is pretty fucking dumb I thought I'd mention this light uses a 21700, not 18650.

Last edited:
Look no further. The Turbo for sure. Wait…what?
Turbo-Thrust-Copper-Slider-1-1464x825_a77d3c85-cfc2-4f9e-9c7f-50f923e92f79_1024x1024-1024x577.jpg

I have north of 25 flashlights not counting WMLs. SF and Streamlight, as old as 1990s models, are the only ones that work every single time. Even Pelican has gone bad in the past decade, can't trust any new tech from them.

My retired trendy EDC lights, whether with weird batteries or primary cells, often just don't turn on even at home. Wet, cold? Ha! Total crapshoot.

Yes, you can get brighter, cute battery tech, etc. but if it doesn't turn ON when you push the button, what's the point?

Batteries: Seriously? LEDs draw VERY little power in normal operation. For the primary cell lights I change batteries... sometimes? If you insist, SF or SL batteries are fine, and Amazon Basics are probably good (all their their other batteries are good, I assume these are) BUT you do not know who the MFG is. Back in the late 90s, I totally saw >1 SF battery explode for no reason. Not since, but they could go cheap on who they buy from and let go of QC again.

I buy OEM brands. Panasonic has a (good) battery factory:

Jesus christ princess can I wipe your ass for you too or does your boyfriend handle that?

You could close your eyes and click a light on any link I've posted so far and land on something better than a Surefire. Use your own fucking brain every now and again if you have one instead of mooching off everyone else.

In case anyone else is unfortunate enough to stumble across this Surefire circle jerk, here is the Wurkkos FC12 I posted earlier in this thread and a two other alternatives that are all three vastly superior to Surefire.

Wurkkos FC12
Sofirn SC31 Pro
Klarus G15- Since everyone here is pretty fucking dumb I thought I'd mention this light uses a 21700, not 18650.

My favorites lately have been Reylight, Lumintop, Emisar, Wurkkos, Sofirn, and Thrunite.

Princess..., cute.

Look dude, when post something like this ^ it leads me to believe you have a bunch of lights. I didn't figure it would be difficult for you to recommend a model or 2 that accepts 18650 and is in that size range.

Instead you posted a site with 147 pages of reviews, another with 100+ links and a bunch of autistic screeching about how Surefire sucks.

Also you and I want different things out of our lights. You clearly value lumen over candela, I don't.

How everyone recommending Surefire in this thread looks to the rest of us:

300px-Professional_Retard.jpg

Especially the guy up there who keeps bashing me for not posting specifics when I have linked three different lights and several resources for researching on your own.

Last edited:
When I first joined this forum is was painfully obvious how much of the population are old, closed minded, and set in their ways. This thread is just another great example of that. There has literally not been a single piece of evidence provided to show Surefire lights are superior, and that is because they're not.

Flashlight Reviews

Flashlight Reviews
And yet... you're still here, log out and don't come back, I promise nobody's going to cry in their cereal over your absence
Us? You have a mouse in your pocket? The only professional retard in here recommending shit lights is you.

You continue to do so after you said you wouldn't waste your time anymore, yet here you are flapping your jaws about it ceaselessly

Why not go post on chinesiumflashlights.com or something where you get a warmer welcome? Obviously nobody here agrees with you but you keep coming back for abuse.

You one of those dudes that pays for women to show up in leather and beat them till they cream their shorts and then the chick leaves without even fucking you or what?

It's like you enjoy being abused. Just leave.

ice-cube-bye-felicia.gif

Reactions: hic28

300px-Professional_Retard.jpg

Especially the guy up there who keeps bashing me for not posting specifics when I have linked three different lights and several resources for researching on your own.

I saw the links for the 3 lights, that was after asking multiple times. With your vast knowledge and ownership it should have been simple. At no point did I make any claim about any manufacturer being better than another. Also what you posted isn't an alternative to modlite or Cloud. They aren't similar lights.

The only one I might be interested in is the FC12 as it has a decent amount of throw in turbo mode. I'll be looking at reviews later that details it's performance and longevity.

You weren't even aware that Surefire uses 18650 batteries and you're calling other people names...

Surefire-18650-USB-Rechargeable-Battery_2.jpg

The dual fuel intellibeam is in no way a stupid recommendation. That light balances lumen and candela nicely while offering a mode that automatically adjusts to its environment. You can go from reading a map to lighting up a trail to identify a sound and back down to the map without clicking through a bunch of modes. The intellibeam is easily my favorite Surefire. Otherwise I'm generally using modlite. If I'm doing something that's up close or hands free I'm using my headlamps. I like throw while being outdoors. And with modlite being modular I can use all kinds of different types or brands of light heads on my 18350 and 18650 bodies.

Mmm, 26650 cells. Haven't seen any of those since I ditched my DeWalt 36V tools.

And yet... you're still here, log out and don't come back, I promise nobody's going to cry in their cereal over your absence

Us? You have a mouse in your pocket? The only professional retard in here recommending shit lights is you.

You continue to do so after you said you wouldn't waste your time anymore, yet here you are flapping your jaws about it ceaselessly

Why not go post on chinesiumflashlights.com or something where you get a warmer welcome? Obviously nobody here agrees with you but you keep coming back for abuse.

You one of those dudes that pays for women to show up in leather and beat them till they cream their shorts and then the chick leaves without even fucking you or what?

It's like you enjoy being abused. Just leave.

ice-cube-bye-felicia.gif

Why not go suck someone off at the Surefire factory instead of just praising their cocks on a forum? Why continue to insult someone who has used facts and logic to prove you wrong up and down this thread? Why keep digging yourself deeper into a hole in a losing arguement? Surefire was a great upgrade from your grandpa's maglite when you first got one 25 years ago but technology has made you and your ancient shit irrelevant old man. Who gave you internet access anyway? Shouldn't you be arguing with a wall about why calculators are superior to computers?

I saw the links for the 3 lights, that was after asking multiple times. With your vast knowledge and ownership it should have been simple. At no point did I make any claim about any manufacturer being better than another. Also what you posted isn't an alternative to modlite or Cloud. They aren't similar lights.

The only one I might be interested in is the FC12 as it has a decent amount of throw in turbo mode. I'll be looking at reviews later that details it's performance and longevity.

You weren't even aware that Surefire uses 18650 batteries and you're calling other people names...

Surefire-18650-USB-Rechargeable-Battery_2.jpg

The dual fuel intellibeam is in no way a stupid recommendation. That light balances lumen and candela nicely while offering a mode that automatically adjusts to its environment. You can go from reading a map to lighting up a trail to identify a sound and back down to the map without clicking through a bunch of modes. The intellibeam is easily my favorite Surefire. Otherwise I'm generally using modlite. If I'm doing something that's up close or hands free I'm using my headlamps. I like throw while being outdoors. And with modlite being modular I can use all kinds of different types or brands of light heads on my 18350 and 18650 bodies.

OP, who my initial recommendation was for, asked for a general purpose light. You came in talking about some $300 piece of shit thrower that only has 650 lumen and is only good for 350 yards which sounds almost as shitty as most things from Surefire. BUT MUH CANDELAS. Cool beans bro.

Wow, they use 18650s? It's great that they've done something that high-end manufacturers have been doing for years. Dual fuel? Yeah, that's standard on good lights. Really cool that Surefire has figured out how that works.

Listen, it has been a fun day of watching all you morons make fools of yourselves. It is like each and every one of you has stared into the beam of your Surefire long enough to fry your brains and yet somehow the next guy is even more stupid. I have provided lights that use superior materials, superior electronics, superior power sources, and have superior customer service, but you all choose to ignore facts. You sound like a bunch of crayon munching military faggots who suck off anything that can claim to be made in America. How about hopping off uncle sam's chode and having an independent thought every now and again?

Furthermore, I have linked this post in flashlight communities and we will all continue laughing at you and making fun of you there. Good day to you all and I hope your Surefires continue to turn on or whatever it is that makes them so impressive to you. I can't wait for next week's "Buck is the best pocket knife in the world" thread.

Last edited:
I think someone must have come home and found their mom banging a surefire rep.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
OP, who my initial recommendation was for, asked for a general purpose light. You came in talking about some $300 piece of shit thrower that only has 650 lumen and is only good for 350 yards which sounds almost as shitty as most things from Surefire. BUT MUH CANDELAS. Cool beans bro.

Wow, they use 18650s? It's great that they've done something that high-end manufacturers have been doing for years. Dual fuel? Yeah, that's standard on good lights. Really cool that Surefire has figured out how that works.

Listen, it has been a fun day of watching all you morons make fools of yourselves. It is like each and every one of you has stared into the beam of your Surefire long enough to fry your brains and yet somehow the next guy is even more stupid. I have provided lights that use superior materials, superior electronics, superior power sources, and have superior customer service, but you all choose to ignore facts. You sound like a bunch of crayon munching military faggots who suck off anything that can claim to be made in America. How about hopping off uncle sam's chode and having an independent thought every now and again?

Furthermore, I have linked this post in flashlight communities and we will all continue laughing at you and making fun of you there. Good day to you all and I hope your Surefires continue to turn on or whatever it is that makes them so impressive to you.

Dude the only person making a fool of themselves is you. You're acting like an absolute child. It's pathetic.

You made the claim that Surefire only uses disposable batteries, I corrected you.

The only thing I came in here talking about and recommending was the Surefire intellibeam. 1500 lumens, 25k candela. I did not mention or recommend the modlite nor did I specify which light heads I prefer (okw or plhv2). You can't even keep straight who you are talking to. After you started shit talking Surefire and modlite I asked for your recommended Chinese competitors and an alternative to lights like the modlite.

The okw has better throw than 350 yards, not that you care. Candela is superior for distance and photonic barriers. The PLHV2 is 1350 lumens with 54,000 candela. The OKW with 680 lumens with 69,000 can throw much further with better detail at distance.

Congratulations, you posted this to other communities showing yourself spreading misinformation and acting like a petulant child. Bravo. You should try talking to people on the internet the same way you would in person.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Dude the only person making a fool of themselves is you. You're acting like an absolute child. It's pathetic.

You made the claim that Surefire only uses disposable batteries, I corrected you.

The only thing I came in here talking about and recommending was the Surefire intellibeam. 1500 lumens, 25k candela. I did not mention or recommend the modlite nor did I specify which light heads I prefer (okw or plhv2). You can't even keep straight who you are talking to. After you started shit talking Surefire and modlite I asked for your recommended Chinese competitors and an alternative to lights like the modlite.

The okw has better throw than 350 yards, not that you care. Candela is superior for distance and photonic barriers. The PLHV2 is 1350 lumens with 54,000 candela. The OKW with 680 lumens with 69,000 can throw much further with better detail at distance.

Congratulations, you posted this to other communities showing yourself spreading misinformation and acting like a petulant child. Bravo. You should try talking to people on the internet the same way you would in person.

murica

Is that you acting like a child or something?

Are you making assumptions that I only buy American products? I've already stated I have Weltool light heads. Do you think I'm old or something? I'm not really sure what your point to any of this is. You also seem to not understand why someone would prefer candela and a tighter beam. You don't like it, cool.

I think for the op's stated purpose the sf intellibeam is great. I like the intellibeam feature. Beyond that I like modlite weapon lights on my rifles and because of their modularity I bought their handheld bodies as well.

I've got a sure fire defender that's probably 8 years old , they upgraded the electronics of it for free several years ago . It's just an awesome dependable bright light that produces a great quality white light and great beam
I'm sure there are others out now , but I sure like my Defender .

I'm looking for some flashlight suggestions.
General use, nightstand, hunting pack, vehicle, in the yard with the dog (I live in the country).
I'm thinking 8" or less, CR123 and or rechargeable.
Multiple illumination levels so it can be daylight bright or dim enough to read a map.
Thank you,
DW
I run the 250/50 version of this and I love it

small enough to fit in your pocket but 500 lumens for the outdoors and 50 lumens up close

My department issued me a Streamlight stinger-style light that's been used in hot, cold, rain and snow for 8 hrs a night, 5 days a week for 3 years, still going strong. It charges on my nightstand and it's my go-to for bumps in the night. Got a few smaller lights for carrying around, but this one is close to your 8" max, rechargeable, variable output (to a point), and can be had for a decent price. Combine it with the Streamlight Pro-tac that rides in my glovebox (another guy suggested above), or the Streamlight Clipmate that rides in my uniform pocket (usb rechargeable, red and white variable output), and I'd say all your bases are covered.

Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL
Streamlight Clipmate
Streamlight ProTac HL

Wow, what a thread. I've been buying surefire lights since I got my incandescent executive defender (2003?ish). They are still definitely my favorite choice in weapon lights (x300, xc-b1, scout light) and etc for sketchy neighborhoods (e1b backup) lol, general use (Fury intelibeam, titan, aviator). I also have a collection of old E1s (various outdoorsman, and some others I have forgotten about in the closet). Surefire seems to come along slowly though with features in the flashlight world. Early on, I had to buy other lights when I wanted rechargeable batteries, multi level LEDs, different toned LEDs, etc. Surefire isn't about at the latest and greatest, and they definitely move along at their own pace. They are still my favorite brand though despite all this.

Other than the obvious choices like Olight and Fenix for example, I think you might want to look into:

HDS - I like the EDC Rotary...I'm afraid to use it at work bc its so nice lol.
Zebralight - Zebralight H600w Mk IV 18650 XHP35 Neutral White Headlamp. I use it without the headband as a right angle light at work. I know cavers like this brand. I use this as a headlamp while cleaning my guns, its really indispensable for that.
Malkoff
Elzetta

While I love CR123 lights and I have a huge supply of surefire cr123s, I hate burning up those batteries and doing frequent changes. When I started using 18650s, I really appreciated the much longer battery life. Just be sure that when you do buy a light, if you use rechargeable batteries, buy high quality only for safety. Also be sure to buy batteries that are known to fit into your light. Some batteries, even the same "size" don't quite fit (for various reasons).

Just to get your feet wet, I recommend going to the zerbalight website. You can pick up a decent light and a few batteries for a decent price and be on your way.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend checking out Olight. I've never had a problem from EDC, to bedstand, to on my firearm.

Why not go suck someone off at the Surefire factory instead of just praising their cocks on a forum? Why continue to insult someone who has used facts and logic to prove you wrong up and down this thread? Why keep digging yourself deeper into a hole in a losing arguement? Surefire was a great upgrade from your grandpa's maglite when you first got one 25 years ago but technology has made you and your ancient shit irrelevant old man. Who gave you internet access anyway? Shouldn't you be arguing with a wall about why calculators are superior to computers?

Furthermore, I have linked this post in flashlight communities and we will all continue laughing at you and making fun of you there. Good day to you all and I hope your Surefires continue to turn on or whatever it is that makes them so impressive to you. I can't wait for next week's "Buck is the best pocket knife in the world" thread.

You seem a little tense. Maybe you could use a Fleshlight?

Elzetta
Surefire
4sevens
I love my 4sevens mini mkII. They did get bought out by Prometheus Lights, but they are keeping the 4sevens name for the mini line up. They are now making a mini mk3. Would recommend in a heartbeat for an EDC, if you want something that can be dropped into a pocket instead of belt carried.

Reactions: Morgan3
How about a thrower light to be mounted on a rifle? I have used Led Lenser MT10 for now but I am going on a night shooting course where light discipline will be strict. The MT10 (rated 180m) has no tapeswitch or proper juice out to 100m range so I guess the practical distance at which the lights really help me identify anything is a lot less than the theoretical distance written on the box.

At the course the ranges will be from short to medium but I would like to use the light for my own training sessions too as it gets pit black after 5PM during winter.

My rifle training I usually do at 100m but I would like the light to carry out to 150m properly.

I checked surefire first but their lights are not powerful enough, the Fenix HT18 and TK16 v2.0 seem like ok candidates since I do not want a device with proprietary battery and these I could also use for fishing and other use cases.

HT18 and TK16 are very different though, but I just do not know if the TK16 has enough juice for the max range.

HT18 would probably do the 150m quite well and for just stationary shooting I could keep it on. The TK16 gives 2.5k lumens only briefly but would be very well suited for using it with light disciple. TK16 is a lot smaller at the reflector side which would make it easier to carry in the bag/pocket while not in use, I guess.

Has anyone tested these lights themselves or knows of better offerings? I have checked every youtube video but they are waste of time, the beamshots just present some guy pointing flashlight at stuff very near like 30m away or somewhere (presumably) far but even any estimate of distance is not explained. And different camera settings seem to make difference of night and day.

EDC'd a Fenix LD22 for 10 years. AA batteries use it every day. It only let me down when it jumped out of my pocket in the woods. Found it the next day.

BugIn

Wish I had taken pictures of my Olight before I sent it back to them.

This is the application I wanted to copy.....

When I got the light the housing looked okay but the flip lever and rail attachment manufacturing struck me as cheap. It was innovative in its ability to adjust to the gun but did not look survivable. I like to set my stuff up for the SEAL Team operator.....not the lame no scratch way I actually use stuff. Just a quirk of mine.

Next was the recharge thing. Neat to charge off USB but I like the idea of having replaceable batteries. Maybe I am in error there perhaps a solar recharge pad would be a better long term solution than CR batteries scrounged from other people's gear.

Next were reviews of how great the initial output was but how quickly Olights fade in power to mediocre levels of output. One reviewer demonstrated a wet weather issue that causes them to fade.

The kicker was all the Chinese writing in emails from the Olight store. Wouldn't be surprised if they are a PLA funding operation. We as a nation have paid too much already for the pleasure of having the Chinese fuck us.

Sent the China light back and now this is me.....

Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey
If the OP is still looking, surefire makes a nice inexpensive G2x dual output that might fit the bill. They use 123's. The low is really low, like 15 lumens with a high at 600 I think. If you want more light output options and the option of using 18650's or 123's, the Fenix pd35 has a lot of variability and is not too expensive. The low on it is 50 lumens though which is pretty bright for the map reading you mentioned but the high is really bright.

If the OP is still looking, surefire makes a nice inexpensive G2x dual output that might fit the bill. They use 123's. The low is really low, like 15 lumens with a high at 600 I think. If you want more light output options and the option of using 18650's or 123's, the Fenix pd35 has a lot of variability and is not too expensive. The low on it is 50 lumens though which is pretty bright for the map reading you mentioned but the high is really bright.
Using a EDC light limited to cr123 is just foolish. Max output and runtime is lower and you are constantly replacing batteries. Those 123 specific lights may be fine for SHTF scenarios because you can put batteries in a light and can reasonably expect them to hold their charge for many years. I have multiple cr123 backup lights for diving that have held their charge for 10+ years.
But I’ll guarantee you nobody that has gone from a 123 specific light to an 18650 or other recharchable has ever switched back. The vast majority of 18650 lights are CR123 compatible but most of the CR123 Surefire lights can’t use 18650’s.
I love Surefire, but they are way behind the curve.

Last edited:
Using a EDC light limited to cr123 is just foolish. Max output and runtime is lower and you are constantly replacing batteries. Those 123 specific lights may be fine for SHTF scenarios because you can put batteries in a light and can reasonably expect them to hold their charge for many years. I have multiple cr123 backup lights for diving that have held their charge for 10+ years.
But I’ll guarantee you nobody that has gone from a 123 specific light to an 18650 or other recharchable has ever switched back.
You'll get no argument from me. I will not buy another cr123 only light ever. Everything I buy is now 18650's, though part of that is because I salvage them from medical packs that have expired (or other like new items) and build solar battery packs so I have several hundred on hand at any given time.

The OP asked specifically for cr123 compatible with a dim mode so I pointed him to one, and added an alternative that has more options for power and output.

Reactions: Morgan3
Malkoff Devices: There is no substitute. Outstanding quality, performance, value, options, lifetime warranty, and made in America.

Last edited:
Does it work when you turn it on? Does it eat batteries like crazy? If you drop it from 6ft onto cement, will it survive? Will it leak if you drop it in a puddle? Is the money you're paying justified if you get all the same issues with something high end that you do low end?

Personal experiences with Surefire go bad nearly 20 years. Dropped one onto cement, lamp blew out. Great! I can upgrade. Spent 40 or 50 bucks on an upgraded lamp. Dropped and blew out. Tossed it, tried a streamlight. Much better in durability. Ate batteries like candy. I bought a $20 Brinkman 15 years ago. It still works. No, not nearly as bright. LED tech has leapt passed halogen bulbs, but the damn thing still works. I hear Surefire is way better today, but the pricetag doesn't justify it. I have used Streamlight handhelds and weapon mounted lights for the same length of time as I have owned that Brinkman. Dropped, drowned, used as a hammer, a brace against a barricade, you name it. I have no issues getting their products. It doesn't need to be a $300 item to be good. Hell, I have a bunch of Bushnell lights I bought at Walmart that I have had for a few years and they run great. I keep one in my duty bag as a backup, several around the house. They're bright, they work, the batteries last.

lately i have been using a streamlight pro tac because the angled head makes it easier to clip onto something and point it at what i am working on.