• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What Glock Upgrades?

Franko

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 19, 2018
Southern California
I will soon be the owner of a G21SF. It will be my first Glock. I intend it to be what I reach for if something goes bump in the night ... At some point I also expect to use it to shoot 45 Super when in the woods. What upgrades should I be considering?

All my handgun experience up to this point is a S&W 686 in 357. The reason I upgraded was higher capacity (I managed to buy hi-cap mags during last week's opening in CA's mag ban). I also reload and expect to be shooting 230's out of it.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

I agree 100% with the above. I also polished the internals on mine and that really gave it a trigger pull. For the most part the g21sf doesnt need much more than that.

I've shot the 21SF for a while now and in my opinion, despite being a "short frame" the G21SF is still meaty and unless you have XL sized hands it's still somewhat like holding onto a 2X4. In which case, the extended controls can be a welcome addition so that you don't have to break your grip as bad to drop the magazine or release the slide. A Glock extended magazine release and OEM extended slide release might run you $20. Is it necessary? No, but they've been a useful upgrade in my experience. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Soulezoo
I've been using 'em for over twenty years and a 686+ and a G21 were two of my first handguns also (not counting ones I had as a minor).

So all I do to 'em is put Trijicon sights on it and any "upgrades" are done using Glock mfg. parts. I use their oversize mag release (for small frames it's just the large frame part) and I usually JB Weld some emery cloth onto the slide release to give it more grip. Some company a long time back used to make one that was almost 3x longer and worked great for this, but I haven't seen 'em in forever and just use the factory ones anymore. If the pistol is gonna be firing super light or hot loads, then I'll probably put a guide rod in there so I can swap springs if need be. For carry, the factory shit goes back in it though. I've done the DIY trigger jobs and it's something you can do if you like but if you shoot it a lot it'll break in like that anyway.

Reactions: AMGtuned
686's are awesome! Welcome to plastic-fantastic. I have to agree with @mcameron though, shoot the pants off it first. All my glocks got a good 500 round throwdown before I did anything to them. Sights, change the damn sights!

I put night sights on all mine.

I jacked with my 21 a lot with a grip reduction and stipple job. Its original plan was for a fishing trip with my then 5 year old in AK (as a 460 Rowland) so I really wanted the extra grip between water and fish slime and guts.

Shoot it a good bit. Then figure out what you may want to change.
If you were local to me, I would say try mine. Or if your coming to CO........?

I'm playing around with mine. I just cut the frame for a Lone Wolf extended magazine release which is kind of like Gen 3 on the right side and Gen 4 on the left. I don't like mag releases that stick way out but wrapping back so my thumb has less reach seems nice.

I don't like extended slide releases. I try to develop the habit of doing a slingshot to drop the slide. I don't want to bump an extension while firing and slow down or stop the slide unintentionally.

I fool around with triggers, springs and connectors. I'm going to try an Overwatch Polymer DAT trigger which is a nice flat trigger shoe with a polished bar that works really nicely in my 22. I might experiment with a different connector. I've got a Ghost Evo Elite in my 22 which I like. The pull is light but still longer than I like. The reset is short and tactile. That combo in my 22 still passes all of the function tests so it is safe and there shouldn't be anything unreliable about it.

Glock triggers are not rocket science but they can be a bit confusing for those not familiar with striker fired guns. Use the appropriate caution if you change things.

There are many other things that you can do but wether you should depends on usage.

Shoot it and figure out if there is something particular that you don't like before you try to fix it.

Sights.

Extended magazine catch (not really needed on gen 4+).

Ghost ranger connector and “50 cent trigger job” are really nice. This connector falls between the (-) connector and standard, giving you a lighter pull than standard with a cleaner break and more positive reset than the (-). In a worn-in glock, it is excellent.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I am now planning on shooting 500+ rounds though it before doing anything to get a good baseline on what the gun is "supposed" to be. Once I do that I will revisit all your suggestions.

Glock factory sights are cheap & will need to be replaced no matter the capacity in which you use this pistol. For an EDC pistol, I’d upgrade to a set of Trijicon night sights immediately. I don’t care for the stock mag release, so I added a Vickers extended mag release (Gen 4 G22)). I’d also add a light (SureFire / Streamlight) as that could very well be the difference between a good shoot & an indictment. I wouldn’t really worry about an aftermarket trigger too much. Glock pistols are very reliable w/ a decent trigger.

A lot of people complain that the stock slide release is too small on Glock pistols. I use the slide release exclusively to reload w/ my support hand & have zero issues in regards to the stock slide release.

*If I’m clearing a malfunction that is a different story. I will power rack the slide over the top. None of my Glocks are prone to failure but you absolutely have to train simple & complex malfunctions or you’re doing yourself a disservice.

My 19X and I am happy with just the TLR1 and Lone Wolf threaded barrel. Youd probably be just as happy with the same mods on yours. The only downside to the factory Glock barrel is the polygonal rifling doesn't like lead ammo.

20190405_180932.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the help. I am now planning on shooting 500+ rounds though it before doing anything to get a good baseline on what the gun is "supposed" to be. Once I do that I will revisit all your suggestions.

NO, no, no! Before running that many rounds through it at least change the sights. You WILL be changing those, I promise. I think Glock makes 'em with those sights on purpose to keep costs down knowing we'll buy Trijicons. 500+ rounds will also break in the pistol some making it smoother than when it starts out. May not wanna do that 25cent trigger job, which is essentially polishing wear areas.

Now to install the rear sight, it may be more economical to just buy a sight tool for Glocks, especially if you plan on buying more. OR you could use it once and sell it on here for a bit of a discount and everyone wins. It's nice to have at the range in case it needs fine tuning, which is what really makes the case for buying a sight tool. But that's up to you, just whatever you do get those damn sights first man.

Anyone try the Glock branded night sights?

I ended up with a set and they seem to work as well as the Trijicons on my others.
Time well tell on how they last for glow though.

Throw some sights and a light on it, all my handguns (minus my g43) have lights on them, I prefer a streamlight tlr-1 hl over the inforce lights I've tried.

I ended up with a set and they seem to work as well as the Trijicons on my others.

The 19X comes factory with them. I dont notice much of a difference between any of them to really push me to buy a set of aftermarket night sights.

Ok, you all have spoken and I have heard. But this leads to more questions:

1. I will be buying the Trijicon HD XR Night Sights.

A. Does the color matter (yellow or orange)? Or is it a personal choice thing?
B. What tools will I need to install them?

2. I will be buying a weapon light. Surefire X300U-A or XC1-B? (I am wondering if 1K lumens might be a little too much for inside the house use)

Once again, thanks!

Ive got the orange xr trijicon sights on my 17 I like them I looked at the yellow as well but I felt the orange stood out better to me, as far as lights I’m not a huge fan of them I have a streamlight on another glock of mine but it doesn’t see much use

Reactions: sabrecross

2. I will be buying a weapon light. Surefire X300U-A or XC1-B? (I am wondering if 1K lumens might be a little too much for inside the house use)

Once again, thanks!

It's a personal choice for which sights you want. Yellow may stand out more so that may be the better option of the two.

I have no experience with Surefire but they are a great product. I use Streamlight myself.

It's a personal choice for which sights you want. Yellow may stand out more so that may be the better option of the two.

I have no experience with Surefire but they are a great product. I use Streamlight myself.

Years ago I bought a couple pistol lights for work. They were both Streamlight TLR-1S lights & both have performed flawlessly. Both are 300 lumens & I prefer that a pistol light not be too bright because I don’t want it to wash out on walls inside buildings. I also tote a 600 lumen SureFire on my work rifle.

They’re both quality lights, but you can buy several Streamlight products for the price of one SUREFIRE light.

Good steel sights, preferably night sights and a OEM Glock "-" connector. That's all you need.

Once again, thanks!
Nothing wrong with the Trijicon sights. I have a set of HDs on my P228. But all my glocks get Ameriglo Hackathorn sights. Very hard to get any better for the money.

Thank you for the insight. I did buy a streamlight light/green laser combo for it. Maybe the laser will be bright enough I’ll never need to bring to the shoulder to hit anyways lol

I bought a set on a "glock day" at a LGS for $50 installed. That was 3 years ago, and they still shine bright. Made from steel, Glock branded, plenty bright for me

Reactions: powdahound76

Years ago I bought a couple pistol lights for work. They were both Streamlight TLR-1S lights & both have performed flawlessly. Both are 300 lumens & I prefer that a pistol light not be too bright because I don’t want it to wash out on walls inside buildings. I also tote a 600 lumen SureFire on my work rifle.

They’re both quality lights, but you can buy several Streamlight products for the price of one SUREFIRE light.

You a 3rd ID machine gunner? If so, thank you for your service. My brother retired as an 0317.

Sell to the nearest sucker.
reinvest in a CZ.
Better trigger, better sites, more ergonomic.
Why should you have to buy good aftermarket sites and a good trigger, they should come on the gun when purchased.

I'd install night sights, an OEM 4.5lb connector, extended mag release, and extended slide stop.

for others reading this other than OP

+1 shoot the darn thing for 1000 rds first

If you use it for HD instead of a long gun(better), a TLR1 HD 800 lumen light would be the #1 "upgrade accessory"

I agree the factory plastic sights aren't all that great but I've never personally known anyone that had them fall off either.

For a carry gun or PRIMARY defense weapon I would install metal night sights (no fiber optic). Heinie makes great Straight 8 night sights, get the wider rear notch and have Heinie install them himself.

FYI... I would recommend the TLR1 HD and leave it as is.

Over time, you'll likely move over to 9mm.

I love .45 as well, but 9mm cheaper to shoot and holds more bullets for free states.

If you get night sights get the trijicon HDs with the u notched rear and get them in opposing colors like yellow rear and orange fronts or some other combination. Just to let you know I have a one 21 with factory glock nights sights that have been on the gun for over 10 years and carried every day as a duty gun and they are fine but I do prefer the the Trijicon HDs.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and thanks for all the suggestions. I've found your suggestions very helpful. I'm picking up my 17 gen 5 today from my FFL and Brownells is delivering the Trijicon HD XR orange Night Sights today along with the sight tool.

Reactions: Franko
I would shoot it first then decide what works best for me. Depending on what you bought first thing I would change is the sights if they are the original flick plastic junk. Beyond that it’s all personal preference ie....extended slide stop, mag release etc....

I would opt for Trijicon night sights, a 3.5 pound trigger, have the internal trigger parts nicely polished (not ground on, no angles or engagements changed, just slicked up), and if it is a model with the opening behind the magazine well, I would fill that area in with a plug that can easily be removed. Other than that, I think Glock pistols are pretty well thought out from the factory.

I don't prefer extended slide locks as they might be more easily engaged unintentionally than factory ones, and the same for the magazine release, unless the gun is a competition only gun. For a carry gun, an extended magazine release could cause the magazine to be dislodged when I least want that to happen.

I will make a few assumptions about why you're getting a glock. I Assume you want a reliable gun, that is what glock is. If you buy a reliable gun and then start dicking with it, it has a good chance of becoming less reliable. Change the sights to something fast and stop messing with it. And for the love of God don't put an extended slide stop on it or an extended mag release on it. The slide stop is designed to stop the slide, it doesn't need to be longer to stop it better. It is not a release, you should be grabbing the slide and jerking it to the rear to reload. Next, the only thing an extended mag release does is drop your mag prematurely. There is not a good reason to change it. Anyone who says otherwise is playing with their glock, not using it as a life saving tool as you said you intend it for.

I've never understood the night sight craze. If I can't see what I'm shooting at enough to see normal sights then I shouldn't be pulling the trigger. If I have a light attached it becomes a moot point anyway and if you've done this enough you aren't looking at the sights because it has become muscle memory. Just my .02 as I can't remember the last time I actual paid attention to my sights in a stressful situation.

Upgrades
1 cheap rout -canik tp9sa
2 best trigger - walther ppq m1
3 best overall - Hk vp9
:)

1.Ghost or other trigger connector and smooth trigger if you buy a compact or sub
2. Sights of your choosing
Shoot it

I've never understood the night sight craze. If I can't see what I'm shooting at enough to see normal sights then I shouldn't be pulling the trigger. If I have a light attached it becomes a moot point anyway and if you've done this enough you aren't looking at the sights because it has become muscle memory. Just my .02 as I can't remember the last time I actual paid attention to my sights in a stressful situation.

I highly you take a night time training course and see if you still think the way you do. It will be an eye opener.

I will soon be the owner of a G21SF. It will be my first Glock. I intend it to be what I reach for if something goes bump in the night ... At some point I also expect to use it to shoot 45 Super when in the woods. What upgrades should I be considering?

All my handgun experience up to this point is a S&W 686 in 357. The reason I upgraded was higher capacity (I managed to buy hi-cap mags during last week's opening in CA's mag ban). I also reload and expect to be shooting 230's out of it.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Also from Kali. ;) I suggest just shooting it stock for awhile as the Glock sights are fine unless you plan on CCWing it. If this is for a carry gun, Trijicon makes great night sites as does Warren Tactical. No need to get aftermarket crap that creates a mushy reset and as to the .25 trigger job-if you do this don't use a dremel- Flintz metal polish and a rag. You are only polishing the metal, not removing metal. FYI, I have been a Glock LE armorer for the better part of 10 years...

Also from Kali. ;) I suggest just shooting it stock for awhile as the Glock sights are fine unless you plan on CCWing it. If this is for a carry gun, Trijicon makes great night sites as does Warren Tactical. No need to get aftermarket crap that creates a mushy reset and as to the .25 trigger job-if you do this don't use a dremel- Flintz metal polish and a rag. You are only polishing the metal, not removing metal. FYI, I have been a Glock LE armorer for the better part of 10 years...

Always good to see fellow CA folks out and about. I bought the night sights as everyone was recommending them so strongly. I also bought an extended mag release after playing with the stock version, as I currently am unable to actuate it one handed (perhaps I can once the gun breaks in, but at $15 for the extended release its a cheap experiment). I also bought an extended mag release as I have small hands and couldn't drop the mag without breaking my grip.

CCW isn't a possibility because I currently work in LA County and nobody and I mean nobody gets a CCW permit for LA County. I will look into the .25 cent trigger job.

Thanks for the info.

Best upgrade to a Glock is to trade for HK, of course you'd better bring your wallet becasue Glocks aren't really worth shit..

Reactions: silentheart