• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What happened to the art of the "Hustle?"

You almost sound like a jealous little bitch. Who says you have to live like welfare because you FIREd? If somebody has earned the money to get off the merry go round.. more power to them.

Jealous of living cheap so you can aspire to be unemployed?

Not exactly 😂

It’s a free country and I fully support your lifestyle choices as long as they don’t hurt anyone else.

I remember seeing able bodied twenty and thirty somethings who chose to be homeless in Portland years back, I don’t get it, seems silly to me and a shitty way to live, but as long as they don’t hurt anyone it’s all good.

Other people are into foot fetish and being pooped on, not anything I understand, but as long as it’s consenting adults and all that 🤷‍♂️

FIRE = financially Independent and Retire Early
I think you may be conflating some groups of people.

There are some great pieces of advice in this thread. The secret to success is not hard work. That is a part of it, but only a small part. I have had a side hustle for over ten years, but just made it my full time job in the last 3 years. I do not yet consider myself successful. When I see people working hard and making the right moves, always outside of their comfort level, that is when things start to happen. The most successful people make it routine and consistently do it without burning out. Even when they are discouraged they keep doing the work and taking the calculated risk for years...decades.

I have had success and failure in business, but my greatest failure was when I thought I had things going in the right direction and became content. Unless you are moving forward you are going backward.

I have been around many young people that think if they show up for work on time every day and work hard then they must be worth $100k + benefits + a company vehicle. It just doesn't work that way. They have developed this attitude because people have told them that if they work hard they will conquer the world because everyone else is a piece of shit.

Just like the story by another poster above, my dad was one of the most talented builders and also one of the best people persons I have ever meant. He was successful in life in many ways, buy he was not financially successful. Whenever he was ready to take a risk to make a gain, he was talked out of it by my mom or his parents. He was also, not consistent when he was discouraged. He spent his life working for the man because it was consistent and perceived by society as less risky.

I do not consider myself highly successful, but I have been around some very good people that I would consider very successful. Whenever I have seen someone that looks like they have all their shit together, I have realized something. They deal with way more adversity than I do. They take it in stride and handle it like nothing. They stick with the daily routine of pushing limits and crushing goals even when it is hard and the odds are against them. They might not hit the curveball over the left field wall every time, but they never miss an at bat, and they never go down looking at good pitches. They show up and put their best effort in day in and day out. It is physical and mental hard work and consistency, along with making the right moves and taking the right risks. When they make a mistake they own it and keep going regardless of whatever speed bump they created with their mistake. They are constantly trying to learn and be better and get to the next level. They have taught me that happiness is living up to your potential and showing up to kick ass every single day, not just in business, but as a husband, a dad, and a friend. They have also taught me that happiness for those who are very successful is a never ending pursuit because when you begin to live up to your true potential, you advance your potential, so the ability to do even more is there.

Given my personality, I owe a great deal to the people who taught me these lessons. I was gifted with a fair amount of intelligence, but I have a very standoffish personality. I do not consider myself successful, but I am far better off because of the lessons I have learned from those who were successful around me. It matters not how skilled or intelligent you are, the only thing that matters are the actions one takes to facilitate growth and success and the consistency and dedication with which one takes action.

No one is going to have the exact same path to success. Some will have it easier than others. It doesn't matter what someone else had to do to get to were they are. All that matters is that you get out of bed every morning with the drive to do what you need to do to get where you want to go. My eighth grade science teacher said it best, "The fair is in August," he would say. Nothing is guaranteed in this world, and hard work sure as hell doesn't guarantee financial success, but it is neccessary to achieve it.

and what is a man but his craft, that’s what he’ll be most rembered by, what he spends most of his time doing and [hopefully] perfecting

Nobody will give a shit about your craft when you die.

Everyone will only remember the kind of human being you were.

No one will show to the master craftsman's wake if he was a raging asshole who made everyone around him miserable, or had no integrity, and was despised by everyone.

No one will show to the master craftsman's wake if he was a raging asshole who made everyone around him miserable, or had no integrity, and was despised by everyone.
Will there be an estate sale?

What happened to having a “side hustle” ha ha ha ha lol lol lol lol….these worthless fucks today barely have a “main hustle” let alone a “side hustle” for extra money….lol

I think the give it to me now generation killed it .
Who? The generation that's looking for social security increases after a lifetime of consuming far more than they produced?

Who introduced the norm of rolling credit card debt?

Who destroyed traditional family values and ushered in the era of the 50% divorce rate?

Who handed off the greatest industrial sector the world had ever seen to China in exchange for cheap toasters and disposable electronics?

Who supported the unionization that crippled the American auto industry and the subsequent government bailouts to protect their pensions?

That give it to me generation?

Or the give it to me generation they raised?

Nooope.

You think nice guys always win too?

I have 4 “jobs” currently
-Main job is I’m a contractor (no employees)

-Side job is I own a commercial cleaning company (again no employees) so nights and weekends I clean offices. No bathrooms though. I don’t get down like that.

- Side side gig is I sell live edge slabs and tables I make in my free time

-side side side gig is selling firewood.

Every dime I make comes from my bare hands. I leave my house at 5:30 some mornings and don’t get home till 11 or 12 at night. And people my age have the fucking audacity to say “must be nice” when they see my nice shit.

Other people say you empty trash nights a weekends? Like they feel bad for me. I make roughly $2400/ month and work a MAX of 16 hours a month. Expenses are roughly $50 a month. Trash bags, glass cleaner and floor cleaner.

Fuck em.

Edit: I’m 30 so I’m a millennial

Last edited:
I have 4 “jobs” currently
-Main job is I’m a contractor (no employees)

-Side job is I own a commercial cleaning company (again no employees) so nights and weekends I clean offices. No bathrooms though. I don’t get down like that.

- Side side gig is I sell live edge slabs and tables I make in my free time

-side side side gig is selling firewood.

Every dime I make comes from my bare hands. I leave my house at 5:30 some mornings and don’t get home till 11 or 12 at night. And people my age have the fucking audacity to say “must be nice” when they see my nice shit.

Other people say you empty trash nights a weekends? Like they feel bad for me. I make roughly $2400/ month and work a MAX of 16 hours a month. Expenses are roughly $50 a month. Trash bags, glass cleaner and floor cleaner.

Fuck em.

Edit: I’m 30 so I’m a millennial

🤘

I will consider it a great offense and haunt the speaker until the end of eternity if the one eulogizing me can come up with nothing better than "he was really F'n good at his profession..."

Reactions: 308pirate
I will consider it a great offense and haunt the speaker until the end of eternity if the one eulogizing me can come up with nothing better than "he was really F'n good at his profession..."

Beats “he was a nice guy”

That’s like what the yute birthers say, right up there with “my baby didn’t do nuthin”

Go read a book on the great men this world has seen, not many go into depth them being nice, it was what they did with their time on this rock, what was left for others to see long after their passing and how they left their community (not “feelings”) better than they found it.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Beats “he was a nice guy”

That’s like what the yute birthers say, right up there with “my baby didn’t do nuthin”

Go read a book on the great men this world has seen, not many go into depth them being nice, it was what they did with their time on this rock, what was left for others to see long after their passing and how they left their community (not “feelings”) better than they found it.
If your son/daughter/wife/best friend/gay lover/etc is giving an eulogy at your funeral and they say "He was really good at his job," all I have to say is; congratulations, your headstone is the ultimate trophy for the "He Who Sucked at Life Most" contest.

If your son/daughter/wife/best friend/gay lover/etc is giving an eulogy at your funeral and they say "He was really good at his job," all I have to say is; congratulations, your headstone is the ultimate trophy for the "He Who Sucked at Life Most" contest.

Lol, no.

Being a nice guy is basically being a cuck

What do you have to show for your years on this planet, if it’s just being nice, maybe recycle yourself.

Lol, no.

Being a nice guy is basically being a cuck

What do you have to show for your years on this planet, if it’s just being nice, maybe recycle yourself.
It is possible to be both really good (the best?) at your chosen profession, AND to be remembered by those that knew you as more than a wage slave. But, some can't feel the weight of their chains. You must be one of them.

Here Lies Turbo Trout
Born xx/xx/xxxx
Died xx/xx/xxxx
He was really F'n good at his job
This stone was graciously donated by people that didn't know him, because those that did know him din't give a single F that he died...

Who? The generation that's looking for social security increases after a lifetime of consuming far more than they produced?

Who introduced the norm of rolling credit card debt?

Who destroyed traditional family values and ushered in the era of the 50% divorce rate?

Who handed off the greatest industrial sector the world had ever seen to China in exchange for cheap toasters and disposable electronics?

Who supported the unionization that crippled the American auto industry and the subsequent government bailouts to protect their pensions?

That give it to me generation?

Or the give it to me generation they raised?
Bingo. Boomers fucked up this world and want to blame it on people who have not been in any position of power and influence yet. Ironic.

It is possible to be both really good (the best?) at your chosen profession, AND to be remembered by those that knew you as more than a wage slave. But, some can't feel the weight of their chains. You must be one of them.

Here Lies Turbo Trout
Born xx/xx/xxxx
Died xx/xx/xxxx
He was really F'n good at his job
This stone was graciously donated by people that didn't know him, because those that did know him din't give a single F that he died...

“Wage slave”?
I ain’t talking about working for Walmart

I mean a proper craft, and a man who was dedicated in such craft, there is honor in that

What I do, I don’t consider “work”, and I take great pride in my profession, it’s as much part of who I am as anything.

Reactions: tomcatmv
When I die, I want big tittied strippers dancing around my funeral.
This man has it figured out
_______

Saddle Leather

If I was to admit my two fondest pleasures,
women and horses are the things that I treasure.
So my friend I'm asking for one simple request,
when I die use my body for what I love best.

Tan my hide into the very finest leather;
I'm thick skinned so I can stand most any weather.
Then take me and tool me into a saddle,
to give a beautiful lady to straddle.

Handled in this manner I will go satisfied,
finally be happy even though I have died.
For then I will forever lay in between
some majestic horse and a rodeo queen.

For those who “work to live, don’t live to work” I feel bad for them.
You can enjoy your work- be dedicated to it- without living it.

The counter to ‘living to work’ is ‘the best way to hate your hobby is to make it your profession.’

I’ll take being the friend with the truck that you know you can call at 2am (because you know he’ll answer) and ask him to drive an hour in a rainstorm to pick up you and your girlfriend and you motorcycle because it’s too wet and slippery to ride and you can hear the keys jingling in his hands before you tell him where; over being the guy known for building whatever any day of the week.

But yeah, it would suck to hate your job too.

wasn't he removed from baseball for gambling lol old charlie hustle
172182830.png

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Bingo. Boomers fucked up this world and want to blame it on people who have not been in any position of power and influence yet. Ironic.
True, but at this point I'm pretty confident we're going to fuck it up worse, not make it better.

The sad reality is that every generation since the greatest generation has been a disappointment. We all suck.

Nobody under 95 should be playing the blame game.

I completely agree with you, my friend, I also think that society has changed dramatically and even a little for the worse. Many people are so lazy that they live on all sorts of benefits from the state and do not want to work at all, arguing that they do not know what to do. Hell, a lot of people are just looking for excuses not to work and it's wildly annoying. I always tell people how to make money online, and I advise them different types of side jobs and earnings so that they do something at least, but they don't listen to me and call me unflattering. I want to help people so that they, in turn, help others with their services, and not be lazy and not idle. Thank you for understanding, good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
My only defense for My Generation is that we did the best we could with what we had. The whole ...Pace of History has changed now. Shit that used to take years/decades/Centuries to evolve and rectify and change now happens in hours or weeks. The "Good Old Days" are *GONE!* never to return....The Internet and Information that now travels horizontally has changed the whole Game. Political Candidates are now picked from Filthy Rich folks who have never worked a day in their lives. Most inherited their political positions from their parents and grandparents. Gone are the days when Service People served and protected and had a work ethic.

2022 and beyond can't possibly be held to the same Standard...Money flows differently, Economic Norms are yet to be established. Our Society and Global Society is forever changed in Ways we have not yet learned to deal with it - the old Textbooks are obsolete. Back when I finished College and started in the Electronics Engineering and Technology Field I bought into and maintained a consumer electronics repair shop for over 20 years - we fixed TV's, VCR's, Disk Players, Projection TV's and were one of the highest rated Warranty Service Centers for every major manufacturer. We were repairing and maintaining video and audio equipment that was 20+ years old. We made a decent living, bought houses, put kids thru school and nurtured our families.

All that shit died, never to return, in 1999. The Warranty repairs and all of that - no one fixes shit anymore because by the time it breaks down in 5 years there are no parts to repair it and it is utterly obsolete and the replacement/new unit has better goodies and is half the price. Now days something like 90% of the price of a product you buy is in packaging shipping and advertising. The box and shipping cost more than the product. The whole world has changed over the last 22 years and an even greater amount of change will take place over the next 5 to 8 years. It used to be that if one ignored history they were certain to repeat it....now if I use history as a guideline to solve my problems and predict the next move I am literally looking in a rear view mirror trying to calculate the next turn that is coming very fast. The Future will make it's own demands and they will have solutions in that future - not the past.

At my last company meeting when I shut it down (we placed all of our employees in a decent job before closing up for good) I was asked by several employees to predict the next 20 years of our careers and my only advice was "Be flexible, learn to learn all the time, and be ready to move....The Future is all about change and all the Old Stuff is now soon to be irrelevant"

I'm living for the Future - the Past is no longer relevant.

VooDoo

Reactions: tomcatmv