• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What happened?

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I can't figure out how to get around now, is there a tutorial somewhere, why are old posts at the top of each section?

I guess I'm one of those guys that doesn't like change. Not digging this new set up at all.

Guess I'll get used to it!

Go to settings on the top right, then general settings, then set shit up the way you want to see them. Also turn on PM's.

Ok, seems there are some serious bugs to work out... mostly on the users end.

Guys, top right of the page is "settings" click on it and start squaring away $hit like we personally like it.

Later,
Stu

Last edited:
It wouldn't even let me log in. I was about to panic! I had to reset my password then it let me come back in.

Not only do you need to turn YOUR PM's on but if you want to send a PM to someone, it will not go thru unless they turned theirs ON???

Also, what the heck with the INBOX? I really liked that the whole back and forth message exchange was kept under the original. Now, it broke all of them out and I was WAY over my limit....I had to deleter more than 50 messages to get under the limit. It took me about 15 minutes to sort thru them all and keep what I really wanted and delete the rest.

No way to let anyone know this was coming????....and steps to take to start over?

Why did they change it to this shitty format? This sucks. I literally avoid any forums using this format because they don't display well on my iPad and that's all I use. Revert. Revert!

Why did they change it to this shitty format? This sucks. I literally avoid any forums using this format because they don't display well on my iPad and that's all I use. Revert. Revert!

Well, maybe you need to direct yourself to the "they" who pays the bills and complain about the free (if you don't subscribe to paid services here) resource that you've been enjoying for two years. Moving to new forum software is never easy, and it's never without what some people see as gains and others see as losses. Unless, of course, you'd like to shoulder some of the "shitty" yourself. Ready to bust out some cash?

Where is the shout box???? DAMNIT!!

There's a whole chat room now! Much better I think...

Holy shit, everyone calm down lol. There was a change like 8-9 months ago if I remember right and everyone was freaking out as well. You'll get used to it, and like it I'm sure. It was an update to the software that controls the forum and will run smoother and have a ton of options. I'm sure there will be bugs and tweaks that need to be worked out, but I like it in general since there are more ways to control how the forum works for you.

Just like any program, updates happen... I'm sure if it stayed the older format, there would be more bugs and make it harder to maintain. It was already slow and "busy" feeling...

Gee. I feel reticent now that you said that.

Well, maybe you need to direct yourself to the "they" who pays the bills and complain about the free (if you don't subscribe to paid services here) resource that you've been enjoying for two years. Moving to new forum software is never easy, and it's never without what some people see as gains and others see as losses. Unless, of course, you'd like to shoulder some of the "shitty" yourself. Ready to bust out some cash?

To be more accurate, I'm pretty sure that this is running on a package called vBulletin, and the forum used to run on UBB, or Ultimate Bulletin Board. At any rate, it needed changing.

The PM shit sucks... I lost all my recent PMs. I have a purchase of a scope from here and I cant get a hold of the guy I bought it from to see if he received the money. I turned my PMs on but he needs to as well. That's pretty damn stupid. I guess itll take time for everybody to learn it, but I got money riding on this shit and its aggravating.

I cant figure out how to add an avatar to save my life. When I go to the avatar part in settings there is no option to add one... am I missing something?

It's all about modifying your settings. To view pics you have to enable that. Same with how you view your threads in order. Quite honestly I'm liking the new format and am looking forward to the further features that will be coming. Check out Oddball-Six's videos in the Sniper's Hide Information forum for help guys.

Weird... so like the 10th time I went to the "Edit Avatar" it finally showed an option to upload one. No idea why it didn't previously

Try tapatalk or switching your settings to mobile site viewing then, I browse exclusively on an ipad as well and prefer the sites to be vbulletin, they're much easier to navigate, especially without all the flash / gif ads running all over the old UBB format.

I really like this setup

All the other forums I frequent are Vbulletin, so I guess I'm used to the format though

Pictures and everything work for me, but I had to turn them on like PMs under general settings. You can pretty much turn everything you want to see on or off, but the default is off. A few clicks and everything is good to go.

My only gripe is if you put anything in google that bring up this page with old post it just redirects to the main forum page as opposed to going to the old post.

Last edited:
Where the fuck is the hot girlfriend thread!

But seriously, wish we would have had some warning here

This move was planned and talked about for quite awhile, and yes we even warned people more than once to back up their PMs, because we didn't know what might happen to them.

This was a necessary upgrade, as we had grown beyond UBB and its ability to handle our level of traffic. It was causing all sorts of problems because the company was sold & bought however they never updated the software since 2010. It was no longer secure, and was putting our server at risk and under strain.

We will be upping the PM count for everyone as vB counts both sent and received. It works very similar to email now.

As recommended the first thing anyone should do is go into their settings and adjust them. By default because we transitioned from UBB many things are just turned off but can be turned on and adjusted from your settings. There are posts and videos in the info section.

Of course you can post images and they will show.

UBB markup was different so how it handled the transition was to link them. Turn it on, and moving forward you'll see the images. This will do both images and video much better. You can actually just drop in a YouTube link and it will show correctly.

We have the mobile side coming. You can view via mobile or full format the choice is yours.

Look around and explore the features, it is 10x more robust and feature rich than UBB ever was.

We're all on board, it always takes people time to embrace any kind of change, even good change. Personally I want to just say thanks for The Hide in general. We can ll bitch about this and that, but in the end, there is no other home for all of us.

Bitch sessions over, let's get on with it.

I do have one small question. It shows I have made approximately 750ish posts when it is more like 1300's, why is it doing that?

Needed to create a new password. Other than that, no issues. Improved security is a plus. Some of us remember pass incidents.

Does anyone know why this new system wont redirect you to a SH thread when surfing the net for info. If you click on a link that has an article in SH it just takes you to the forum and not to the thread GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i had many posts on here and looking to post items for sale and it keeps deleting them shows 12 posts now GRRRRRRR

This is much easier on eyes from reading a perspective. A hell of a lot faster uploading, changing pages. Just have to find my way around a bit!

Nice job to those who did it!

Last edited:
Does anyone know why this new system wont redirect you to a SH thread when surfing the net for info. If you click on a link that has an article in SH it just takes you to the forum and not to the thread GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I am having the same issue. I use google to search my topic subjects and just add "Snipershide" behind my search and I always get something. Lately when I follow those links they just go directly to the forums and not the topic searched. Hopefully that gets worked out soon. Overall I think the changes will be for the better. Maybe less virus warnings from adds with newer security.

I'm used to this format from other forums. LL is right that it makes this site much more powerful which is definitely a good thing. Added security is a big plus too nowadays.

One thing I noticed though is that Google searches pointing to threads on this site revert to the main page and not to the thread. Same thing with my bookmarked pages. I'm guessing these can't be relinked. Also, the watched forums went away. I used to have it setup that only new post to the classified were listed so i could scan stuff for sale immediately. That was a big plus. (looks like other people noticed too)

All in all I will get used to it and I think it is a good upgrade. Keep up the great work SH!