• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what height rings for AMG?

millertime2

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Illinois, USA
What height rings will I need for a Vortex AMG going over an MTU barrel profile? Just thought I'd save some guessing if someone had a similar setup. Thanks

I'll be trying Seekings lows and meds on my tikka with a m24 barrel. I have hardcore ranger rings med on my razor and they clear the 56mm objective. I'm betting an .850 low or .900 med would be about perfect.

what action/rail?

Im running MTU/HV barrels with an origin and razor gen 2. Spuhr 1.18 with aadland caps and they clear but i dont think i'd want to go lower for the sake of shit head position. with adjustable cheekpieces lowest isnt always best

Last edited:
I use Seekins medium highs (0.92") with my SIII which Sightron says is 2.28" (The AMG is 2.3"). With the butler creek cap it is a tight fit over a #7 heavy varmint (maybe 1/16" clearance). Mediums (0.87") should work if you don't use caps, might even be able to go with the lows (0.82")

Yup I would go .92" height rings. I have them on my AMG on a Remington with Badger 20moa base but even with the Surgeon being a hair lower you should be fine. If you have an adjustable comb you can always go for around 1" and not worry at all.

Reactions: wade2big
.885's worked on an M24, bighorn TL-3 20 MOA rail

The only way you can get by with .87” rings is if you have a Remington of Savage action as the bases are taller. An action with a thicker barrel profile and lower base you would be better served with at least the .92” rings if you want to use scope covers.

I have an AMG mounted on a Stiller action w/ a 20 MOA rail. Heavy Varmint profile barrel. I'm using Seekins Medium (.87") rings. I have clearance for the Vortex scope covers, no issue. There's not a lot of space between the objective cover and the barrel, but it's definitely not in contact. I'd suspect I'd have room with an MTU contour, but don't know for sure.

I have an AMG mounted on a Stiller action w/ a 20 MOA rail. Heavy Varmint profile barrel. I'm using Seekins Medium (.87") rings. I have clearance for the Vortex scope covers, no issue. There's not a lot of space between the objective cover and the barrel, but it's definitely not in contact. I'd suspect I'd have room with an MTU contour, but don't know for sure.

HV actually has 2-3 more inches of full diameter shank, so it's heavier than an MTU

Go with the .92s or the .97s. I had problems on one of my rifles with the .87s and the AMG and a Rem 700. The bolt hit the scope. If it would have been a 60% bolt throw Curtis action I would’ve been fine. I ended up just using the .97s.