• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship What I'm going to try this summer. Comments?

Patrick_S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2006
Lunenburg, VT
I don't see much use in shooting groups,I am not a BR shooter. I am a hunter and "shoot for fun/challenge" kind of guy. I like Lowlight's dot target, it seems to be a better measure of shooting skill than groups. What I want to try this shooting season is sort of a combination of the dot target,group shooting and cold bore(body) skill, but on a bigger scale. I shoot at least once a week at the range, what I am thinking about is having one target that I bring with me each week. I will place this target at 100 yards an put one cold bore(body) shot on it each week. This will be with my Savage MK II .22lr. If anyone else is interested I will post on hide each week and encourage others to do so. I would like to gauge my ability by seeing the results of others.

Recap:
One target
First shot of the day
One shot per week
100yds
.22lr
Not off a bench(I will be prone/bipod/rear bag)

Sound crazy? Input?

Re: What I'm going to try this summer. Comments?

If all goes well you should have a target with a nice tight group of cold bore shots by september. This will be your first shot of the day?

I would almost keep a mini log about my attitude and what not that day. example... have a crappy day at work, go to the range and pull one way off to the right. jot that down and number the holes so you can reference it later. It might show your weak spots with distractions and the like.

Then again I'm new to most of this so I'm kind of talking out of my ass, just a thought though.

Mike

I would do the same thing, but use a centerfire. Rimfire seems alot more sensitve to temp./humidty changes.

I think that whatever you choose to do, it's all good as long as it leads to a better understanding of how your rifle performs, and how best to get it to perform to its potential consistently.

Even a bugholer BR rifle in the hands of a shooter who just aims and fires it the same way, day ofter day, is not going to be as effective as the 1MOA rifle that gets taken lots of places, and gets fired under every conceiveable condition.

In the end, it's not the rifle or the driver, but their combined experience under a multitude of situations that's going to deliver the crucial hit at the crucial moment.

That shot isn't just a shot, it's the crowning achievement of all the ones that went before.

Greg

I like to use new dot for each shot. That way I can get exact feedback on each shot, not be distracted by previous holes on the paper, and in the end superimpose all the shots on single dot.

That said, shoot the 22LR at 50y if you want to concentrate on testing your shooting skill. At 100y the conditions will play too big a role (if you suck in wind reading like I do, you cannot properly separate the shooting fundamentals from condition awareness...)

Good idea I like it.

Shooting for group is only a tool. Sometimes that tool is used for zeroing, sometimes it is used for checking out a rifle for it's basic accuracy before you procede on with other things. A tool can be misued or left out to rust, its all up to you.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy