• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what increments?

DeadNoise

Legend
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2008
Nevada
just started reloading, and i am reloading for my remmy 700 308win 20in barrel. my question is in what increments should i move up in grains to see what load shoots the best?

Re: what increments?

I'd start with half-grain increments and shoot 5-10 shot groups. Then start fine tuning with .1gr increments when you find one that groups well. Once you get that down you can start really fine tuning with seating depths and everything else.

I like to work .2 incr, because then if I blow one group and the two on each side look good I know it was me. Kind of a crutch for me and then I know I did not miss a node. But usually have a real good idea what my load will be in only one trip to the range.

I also increase in 0.2 grain incraments too. For the same reasons as CanSniper.

+ 1 CanSniper !! (well, actually , everone )

i find i can move charges in more then .5 grain increments and still exit at an ideal node. But i completely agree with CanSniper and because you can have errors , its better to load in .3 or even .2 increments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ 1 CanSniper !! (well, actually , everone )

i find i can move charges in more then .5 grain increments and still exit at an ideal node. But i completely agree with CanSniper and because you can have errors , its better to load in .3 or even .2 increments.

</div></div>

It is better but the trade off is that your loading and wasting a lot of extra bullets. Here's the math:

Loading .2 increments over a 3 grain spread means 15 loads and if you shoot 5 loads per increment than that means a total of <span style="font-weight: bold">75</span> shots. Then you have to go home and load for around that one accurate load anyway.

Loading .5 increments over a 3 grain spread means 6 loads and if you shoot 5 loads per increment than that means a total of <span style="font-weight: bold">30</span> shots.

.5gr increments is a good way to keep costs and mindless loads down to a minimum. Keep in mind that you're just starting at .5 then once you find a good .5 load, load up and down each way to find your exact sweet spot. Once you find that you can play with seating depth and the like to really fine tune it.

I am also a OCW fan. I don't waste time and ammo with 5 shot groups off the bat. I have not had any problems with 3-shot groups working up a very accurate load. Find the node, go to the center and work on depth.

I start with 5% below max and work up. For increments I typically use around 0.7% per jump:

.223 Rem = 0.2 gr
.308 Win = 0.3 gr
.30-06 = 0.5 gr
belted mag = 0.6 gr
338 Lapua = 0.8 gr