• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is a good sniping rifle to buy

TSU69

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
Hi everyone I am new to Sniper Hide and to sniping. I work for my local state prison. I am on are tactical team and about 6 months ago got on are sinper team. We don't get a lot of trigger time behind the rifles but i was lucky enough that i was sent to a 4 day sniper school. It was a really good school for just 4 days and was put on by 2 Police Snipers and 1 Marine Sniper. We shoot remmington 700 with Leupold 4.5 x 14 scopes. After attending this school i want to buy a really good sniper rifle for under $1,000. Also the instructors were talking about making sure if you buy a rifle that the barrel is floated if i remember correctly. Any ways I was hoping for some suggestions on what i should buy. I am open to any and all suggestions. Next would be a good scope under 600 with TMR rectiles.

Thanks everyone looking forward to the in put.

Re: What is a good sniping rifle to buy

I read on here that Red Jacket is doing some sort of 1,000 yard capable AK... That might be a good place to start because we all know how reliable the AK is, but range has always been suspect... Bolt action is probably no good for you, the capability of quicker follow-on shots from the AK is where it's at! Good luck dude.

Remington 700 5r. Great starter rig it's in a decent stock from the factory

The force is not strong with this one. Get a remmy 5r or a red jacket ak. Another to look at is the hipoint LR carbine.

Seriously though welcome to the hide, look for a 5r or a 700 pss

Force=grammar

pew_pew_pew_merica-155016.jpg

On a serious note man, over on the right side is a search bar, and at the top of each forum section is a bunch of stickied topics. Begin reading those and more likely than not any question you might have could be answered.

Welcome to the hide. I purchased a Rem 700 5R in 308 for under a 1k, but its been awhile back since I purchased and they are tack drivers out of the box. Everyone I know says the same thing. Since your used to shooting the 700 at the sniper school seems like a logical choice they also have LTR, police and other models. You need to speak with your commander and other members of your team and see if they might have anything for sale and what your able to carry that would be the first thing. There is a LE only forum here but I believe you need permission from lowlight (SH medeator) and a really knowledgeable and nice guy. I'm retired LE but first and foremost ask your superiors what calibers are allowed and can you use bolt semi can anywork be done on them? Remember SOP and liability should be adhered to. Probably stick with a shorter barrel as you can for mobility you probably won't need to shoot at too great a distance. The REMMY LTR I believe comes with a 20" barrel and are great shooters. Whatever you come up with is remember to shoot, shoot and shoot some more you can never have too much practice. Since dept. have decreased funds for training you'll have to do it on your own. Good luck and be safe!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jordan0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a serious note man, over on the right side is a search bar, and at the top of each forum section is a bunch of stickied topics. Begin reading those and more likely than not any question you might have could be answered. </div></div>

Bingo. Reading those posts will give you more than enough information to get started and answer a ton of questions related to the basics before you make a bunch of new posts that will open the flood gates of sarcasm and hilarity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TSU69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next would be a good scope under 600 with TMR <span style="font-weight: bold">rectiles</span>.</div></div>

Dunno about that price limit there, chief. I heard that a lot of sub-$600 scopes suffer from significant rectile dysfunction.

GoOCf.jpg

Get plenty of magnification on the scope. Youll need it to watch Ricky Vaughn pitch from your prison hide site.

Enjoy the game.

I wasn't aware prison systems had snipers, thought they had "designated marksmen" but I could be wrong was just curious as to the training and title of such a skillset in a prison.

Sniper no sniping, sniper no sniping

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TSU69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next would be a good scope under 600 with TMR <span style="font-weight: bold">rectiles</span>.</div></div>

Dunno about that price limit there, chief. I heard that a lot of sub-$600 scopes suffer from significant rectile dysfunction.

GoOCf.jpg

</div></div>

hahahahaha awesome.

I know a dude who built a $1000 potato cannon and pierced an Abrams @600. Might wanna look into it. If you plant a garden you can nearly feed it for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't aware prison systems had snipers, thought they had "designated marksmen" but I could be wrong was just curious as to the training and title of such a skillset in a prison.

Sniper no sniping, sniper no sniping </div></div>

Oh, they got snipers for sure, they're just on the other side of the bars ...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C9omebbyf0M"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C9omebbyf0M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TSU69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone looking forward to the in put. </div></div>

So, how you likin' that "in put" so far?

crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cramey74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll shoot your eye out! </div></div>

That'll be funnier if this thread is still running three or four weeks from now.

Lewis Arms, good choice. If you're using a Remy 700 at work, consider using the same kind at play. There's less acclimation for you on the feel (Read: No transition time). Advantage is if the armorer at work is not a DH you'll be able to ask them questions and get help with whatever kind of iron they use. Just a suggestion and my 2CW

on a scope it's all over the place. there's good glass, so so glass, garbage and superior. be wary of vendor claims on glass, not all are equal. By type I prefer a first focal plane scope (FFP) the advantage is quicker acquisition and no math (from my personal experience). FFP changes the size of the reticle as you zoom in (gets bigger) or zoom out (gets smaller with lower magnification). Before you opt in for mid range money, or cheap out on some wild claim look closely at the reputation of the scope, ask lots of questions before you plunk down your hard earned cash. Seen that too with shooters and it is frustrating. You can have a GREAT piece but put garbage glass on top of it and be miles behind. READ a lot before you decide. This place is also a good place to find quality glass. Look under the forums and "Optics for Sale" you might stumble on a bargain for no good reason other than luck alone.

Prison ghillie suits: yard-centric materials, good or bad? Discuss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prison ghillie suits: yard-centric materials, good or bad? Discuss. </div></div>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHjlM5A1jME&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHjlM5A1jME&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would like to thank everyone for the input. All of it was go shit and will keep all in mind. pitfa1490 excellent stuff thanks.
Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TSU69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All of it was go shit and will keep all in mind.</div></div>

No. It wasn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TSU69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of it was go shit and will keep all in mind.</div></div>

This is the place for "go shit," for sure.

VJJPunisher- Yes we do have sniper teams here in the Arizona State Prisons. I will admit they do not teach us much of anything. Thank God for good old Marine training I had. Like I said I don't know much but after the school I did learn much more. Now need to get a good rifle so I dont lose what was taught. Training wise we are lucky if we get 4hrs in behind the gun a month sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Legionaire23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dude, just get a barrett like in call of dooty man. them are the shit! </div></div>

I hear they give out coupons for free milkshakes. That some go shit, for sure!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9sQ94j1JZbE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9sQ94j1JZbE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prison ghillie suits: yard-centric materials, good or bad? Discuss. </div></div>Somebody needs to make one of these and post a pic. I'm curious as to what materials one would attach to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Veer_G said:
Prison ghillie suits: yard-centric materials, good or bad? Discuss. </div></div>Somebody needs to make one of these and post a pic. I'm curious as to what materials one would attach to it.

Its simple, just body paint yourself naked to match the chain link or brick walls. Or make a suit and attach some bumbells and a basketball to it

If a riot broke out in prison I would just grab a hoodie with some dread locks and a doo rag made out of old long johns. Just run out with the inmates screaming those famous last words.

"I ain't never commin back to this Mo Fo."

Does your sniper unit have any tests for grammar and spelling or do they hire straight out of 2nd grade?

sniper in a prison? designated marksman would be the term i would use but to each is own.

for one i don't see you really needing to shoot that far. also follow up shots are key so you will want a semi auto.

how about buying what ever the prison is issuing so that you can have more trigger time with what ever weapon you will actually be "sniping" with.

better yet just blow up the part of the prison that hold all of the "gangsters". you'll be a hero to the tax payers

Let this be a lesson to you all. Don't go to jail or someone like OP will be watching you through a rifle scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randoman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let this be a lesson to you all. Don't go to jail or someone like OP will be watching you through a rifle scope. </div></div>Nobody is going to see me with my prison ghillie suit on as I do a sniper crawl through the yard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthernBorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jordan0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a serious note man, over on the right side is a search bar, and at the top of each forum section is a bunch of stickied topics. Begin reading those and more likely than not any question you might have could be answered. </div></div>

Bingo. Reading those posts will give you more than enough information to get started and answer a ton of questions related to the basics before you make a bunch of new posts that will open the flood gates of sarcasm and hilarity. </div></div>

One small problem with that.If he does as you suggest.....how in the hell will he EVER get to 100 posts and be able to pimp his goods on here ????
laugh.gif

I would do a ruger 10/22 with a simmons.......welcome to the hide
wink.gif

In defense of the OP, AZDOC does call their Tactical Support Unit's sharpshooters "snipers".

TSU - you may have wanted to do more independent research, ask your complex's Armorer, or a fellow sniper on your team. Just a thought.

ast year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ast year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.
</div></div>I'm confused
crazy.gif
. What were we talking about again?