• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is acceptable accuracy for a Savage 10FP 308?

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    My uncle purchased a Savage heavy barreled 308 almost a year ago and we have been dealing with inconsistencies the entire time. The cheap synthetic stock was replaced with a B&C Tactical Medalist stock. The original scope was a Millet TRS-1 4-16 in Burris XTR rings and a EGW 0MOA base.
    The gun was able to hit 6in targets at 400 yards but he never really shot it for groups until the last few months. The groups at 400 were pretty disappointing. He would get a round 3in to the right, 4in to the left, etc. 6-7in groups at 400. Really all over the place with no real consistency. He could slide over to our old Ruger M77 and shoot a 3in group at 400.
    This performance started the merry-go-round of 2 other scopes (1 being a Mk4 M3 10x) and 2 other stocks (1 being the stock synthetic). We have tried cheap factory ammo and 3 different proved handloads all with 168gr SMK.
    This leads me to today. I just shot this rifle again today and posted 2, 1MOA 5 shot groups at 100. The rounds were a little scattered but all within the 1in. box. The other groups had a few rounds touching then a few more touching an inch and a half from the others.
    Is this just the acceptable performance of this rifle? Savage said to ship it back, but I have a feeling it will still come back as a 1MOA rifle. I personally have 2, 1/2MOA Savages so I know they make good out-of-the-box guns.
    It could very well be all shooter-related and without strapping the action into a rest, we can't tell. If Savage doesn't find anything wrong, I have a feeling this one is headed to the sale block.

Re: What is acceptable accuracy for a Savage 10FP 308?

Could a mount ot stock screw be loose? My frien and I each have a Savage 10fp and they both shoot.5MOA all day long.

I have gone through the base screws, rings, and action screws at least 5 times. The problem is the inconsistency. He just doesn't have any confidence that he could pull it out of the case and make repeatable hits. I checked the crown and bedding area for any burrs or questionable marks. Everything looks correct. Granted I could spend the time to bed it or screw a chambered aftermarket barrel on, but I'm curious as to what Savage says. I hope they don't just shoot a 3 shot group and call it good for a 1MOA gun.

I just picked up a cheap Savage Axis .243 win combo package for $300. My dad wanted a starter bolt gun. This bottom of the barrel Savage with a 40 dollar 3x9 scope printed MOA groups with factory Winchester ammo from Walmart. I just believe this 10FP should do better.

Hmm, did you work up those handloads on that rifle or another one? It could be that this rifle just doesn't like the load and you might need to work up another one.

Rusty said what I was thinking. Your handloads may be well developed but maybe the rifle just doesn't like it. Have you or your uncle done a OCW test with the 10fp.

If it were mine, I would have already done that. I am more concerned that this rifle could possibly be that picky. My uncle is much more a shooter than a person who understands ballistics and barrel chambers. Sometimes it's like I'm talking to the wall, but he wants to get behind the rifle and shoot. He does this with about 7 other rifles with great success. We have run cheap Remington Core-Lokts, FGMM, 3 handloads with IMR 4895, Varget, and AA2520 with 168gr SMK and Hornady Match HPBT. Our family has 2 Ruger M77s, 2 Rem 700s, and a RRA Lar8 all in 308 that have outperformed this Savage with all of this ammo. Here's to hoping this barrel was chambered on a Friday afternoon or possibly a good hangover Monday!

If it won't shoot FGMM or a 168-190 sierra siiting on top of 40+gr Varget, send it back.

Of the 3 10FPs I've shot, they'll shoot any sierra/varget load sub-moa, period.

They also shoot Federal 150gr "Powershok" between .75-1 moa.

That one sounds like a dud. Send it to Savage, I'm sure they'll find a fucked barrel.

Thanks Turbo for the reassurance. I know the right way would be to develop the perfect load and bed the stock before whining all over the internet, but I steered him to the Savage for the simple fact that for a $600 rifle, they always seem to shoot well and with a lot of different ammunition. It sounds like he is shipping it out Monday and the waiting game will start. I've never used Savage's customer service, but I've heard great things.

Check for action binding. The rear tang is a good place to start. If you tighten the hell out of the action in a crooked stock it will do this. I am dealing with it on my 257 Roberts and it took a lot of research to figure it out. One clue is if the bolt gets easier or harder to close when you tighten the action screws.

With that info it is definitely the barrel. Sometimes Savage barrels aren't as good, it's rare but it happens, send it back and Savage should replace the barrel and you should be shooting 1/2 MOA again.

B&C stock
    Bed it, no question I would bed it, wrap the tang with tape to ensure it is floating.

My 10 shot well with fgm 168's with the 26" tube, when I cut it down to 18", the 175's took over and really became 1/3-1/2 moa capable, as shown in my torque value thread.

The rifle is all boxed up but if it comes back from Savage with nothing fixed, I am definitely bedding the stock. It shot 1.5MOA with the cheap tupperware stock and marginally better with the B&C stock. I even tried my B&C stock from my 22-250 and the results were the same.

I think most run around the .75 to 1.0 MOA range. The two I have owned did this mostly but had some 1.5 MOA with some loads.

Although its like Politics, everyone who owns one claims they are .25 MOA guns for $800.00

I have a Savage fp with a 20" barrel in a Mcmillan A3 and Rifle Basix trigger. I only shoot groups when I am developing loads, however it is nice to see how tight I can shoot sometimes. I shot a 6 round group the other day with my new load- 178amax over 44.5gr Varget- which I covered with a nickel, however this is not the norm. Even when developing loads I rarely see a 6 shot group over 1 1/2", slightly under 1" being normal. I am not shooting benchrest and for my needs this is sufficient, and I would call it very acceptable accuracy for a production gun.

I know from my years of shooting pistols that this gun as it stands will out shoot my skills for a while to come. I cannot say it is a 1/2 moa gun because I am driving it but in the hands of someone more capable, it might be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think most run around the .75 to 1.0 MOA range. The two I have owned did this mostly but had some 1.5 MOA with some loads.

Although its like Politics, everyone who owns one claims they are .25 MOA guns for $800.00 </div></div>

Agree, real world numbers .75 to 1.0 moa with developed loads.

chances are high if a gun doesnt shoot well from the beginning
    its a lemon
    to be sure you would have to bed it.
    shoot Federal Gold Medal Match and see
    if it still doesnt shoot send it back or trash the barrel

i had a howa that didnt shoot well-> barrel sucked-> trashed it
    now it shoots around 0,5 moa with a new barrel

i also have a savage 10 PC that does shoots a load i developed for it on avagerage into 0,6 moa.

one can be lucky or not, thats the risk of factory guns

I had a 10FP(.308) that I could not get to shoot, at best 1.25" groups
    I tried everything and finally rebarreled with a new Krieger and now it shoots great. With that said I also have a 110FP in .223 that shoots unbelievable, 5 shots @ 100 yards at .16 group (best group) so I know they make some good ones. That stock 308 barrel makes a good tomato stake though.

I'm getting consistent .5 MOA groups at 400 yards w/ a 10BA and Black Hills 168g. Best was a 1.5" group but that was a really good day.

I would try a bunch of different ammo and see what it likes.

I don't know about its accuracy at this range, but my Savage was the only rifle that I managed to hit a 9" target 7 times in a row at 800 yards, first time shooting at that distance with this rifle. my previous best was with a Weatherby Vanguard, 4 hits.

A quick update on the Savage 308. The rifle was sent back to Savage about a month ago and we should be getting it back within the week. They determined the barrel was bad and ended up replacing the barrel and I believe the bolt as well. It went back through Savage quality control and passed the accuracy tests. I wish they actually explained what was wrong with the original barrel. Rifling? Bent? Crown damaged? Who knows, but I hope this gun is finally a shooter.

Good to see Savage still has respectable customer service! I'm interested to see how it shoots now.

Yeah, I was fully expecting them to shoot one 3 shot group at 100yrds and ship it back saying it was acceptable. From what I understand, Savage has several accuracy and quality tests for rifles that get sent in. The turnaround would have been quicker but Savage was closed for a few weeks in July. Overall, I'm extremely happy with their customer service.

This is good info for other users. I bought my wife a 2nd hand Savage 10 FP. She can shoot .6" groups with a 3-9 Nikon Buckmaster with a safe hand load. I did notice that some rounds that I set aside for her, wouldn't chamber. Made for an interesting day at the range.... when the bolt would stick.

-JD-