• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What is best 223 AR15 for coyote hunting?

corycarner

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I am looking to buy a 223 ar15 for coyote hunting and little target shooting. Any opinions about what to stay away from and what is good? Budget is max around 1600 or so.

Re: What is best 223 AR15 for coyote hunting?

If I was going to buy a factory rifle for what you indicate you was to use it for, I would look at a Rock River Predator Pursuit 16" Mid-length. That would leave you with about $500.00 for a scope or ammo. You could spend more, but would gain little or perhaps nothing.

Cancel the budget aspect I just want to know what the best is. I don't want to limit my options

these remmys are a good yote gun and only run ya $900.00 bucks!

ar-15003.jpg

I'd check out specialized dynamics. He built me my 18" coyote ar and it shoots very well with that lilja barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was going to buy a factory rifle for what you indicate you was to use it for, I would look at a Rock River Predator Pursuit 16" Mid-length. That would leave you with about $500.00 for a scope or ammo. You could spend more, but would gain little or perhaps nothing.</div></div>

+1, except if you look around and don't mind waiting a month or 2 you can pick them up in the 950-1000 range, I got one on order

Rock River Predator was my choice and very happy with them. Have three, mine, wife and son all shoot great.1 in 8 twist and SS 16" or 20". Look on Gunbroker.com

+1 on the Rock River Predator , I have one with the 20" barrel and it will shoot 3/4 MOA with factory ammo all day long .

I do alot of coyote hunting. Including 4 contests since October. The AR I want, but dont own yet is a Larue 16" or 18" Stealth Upper, on a carbine lower, with a good scope.

Just remember, you want a shorter barrel (stay away from 20+)and I would go with a carbine lower (aka telescoping stock). I am constantly getting in and out of the Jeep to take a shot, and right now I'm using a bolt action with a 24" barrel, it a pain to get in and out. And my buddy's full size 20" AR isn't much easier.

At that price, Larue PredatAR. Extremely light, sub-moa rifle.

As stated before call scott at specialized dynamics he will custom build a gun to fit your exact needs and expectations that and his guns rock

Here's one of mine. I got it from this guy. Save some money, look him up, give him a call :Steve Kelly - www.kellyfirearms.com

Great rifle inexpensive not cheap. Shoots lights out. I'd put it up against any. It's 24" SS bull. I have a 16" as well. Same story, great rifle.

Only you can decide what's best for you. Look at as many different rifles as you can stand to. Actually it's kinda fun "investigating" rifles.

24-3.jpg

I was looking around and would a dpms sass mini be a good gun?

I like custom rifles, but my RRA Coyote 20" is as accurate as any bolt gun I have ever owned.

I love my Christensen Ams ca-15. Super accurate and lightweight. Taken a few 'yotes with it to about 350 yards.

I built my own on a DPMS stripped lower. The parts list would take a bit of typing but I could get it for you. Final cost about $1700 3 years ago. It shoots great but I don't use it as much as my bolt guns. I just got caught up in the Obama scare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Corycarner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking around and would a dpms sass mini be a good gun? </div></div>

They are nice rifles but they are heavy. I wouldn't want to pack one around in the hills.

I'm contemplating an AR with distance capability. I have my eye on the Stag Arms Model 6 Super Varminter, which seems to be retailing for about $900 locally.

Greg

my vote would go to a Stag model 6. Guaranteed 1/2 MOA from stag