• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is critical to accuracy on an AR?

brianidaho

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2005
North Idaho (Sagle)
I have 3 lowers on hand (Tactical Innovations and Mega). For my first build, I want to put together a long(er) range 5.56. But...I'm on a bit of a budget. I drool over many of the pics on this site, but I don't have $300 to drop on a rail system, etc. So...what components have the biggest impact on accuracy? I'm planning on a stainless barrel rather than chrome, what offers decent value? I'd like to see 3/4 MOA or so with handloads. What are places to save a few bucks for future upgrades?

Yeah, my timing sucks, but some of this crap will shake out, and I'm not in a huge hurry.

Re: What is critical to accuracy on an AR?

The DPMS Mini-SASS and Mk12 barrels are really nice at an affordable price. I am shooting great sub-MOA groups at 100yds and have hit steel at over 1000yds with 69gr SMKs. Not bad for a 5.56...

Get the best barrel you can afford and a free float tube.

The barrel and a float tube IMO. If you don't rail it all up, you can get a tube for under $100, and that's rifle length. Then so that YOU can use it, get a very good trigger. My cheapest favorite now is the Geissele SSA-E.

For a cheap, accurate barrel? That usually doesn't go together but I would either go 20" WOA SR barrel with a front sight, or get a 20" RRA stainless heavy barrel (Wilson) with front sight. I know a front sight (functioning as a gas block)doesn't look as cool as a gas block with rails, but they're cheaper and not in the way of a scope so why not?

Good ammo and good glass.

After that BCM makes some great stainless upper setups for the money (I believe Criterion makes their barrels). Seekins is certainly well respected and has great CS.

As for free-float, I would look at a tube like the Troy / VTAC BattleRail Alpha or for a little less dollars a Yankee Hill rather than a full rail.

+1 on free float/ barrel/trigger A little heavy but it's for punching paper mostly Im very pleased with my RRA 20" heavy 1/8 Wylde it's 1/2 moa all day and that's with 25gr varget 68gr hornady mixed head-stamps.

Accuracy on an AR platform? Freee float a good barrel. A round chamber doesn't hurt, either.

Thanks for the input. I had been looking at the Rock River Arms varmit barrels, glad to see some confirmation that they are a decent choice. I like the concept of the .223 Wilde chamber. What are prices like on Rock Creek (not river) barrels? I know someone that uses them on his production ARs but I figured they were probably sold at a premium. Also...20 vs 24"? Is there enough of a velocity or accuracy improvememnt to justify the extra weight. I know there is quite a debate as far as a drop in accuracy with overly long barrels.

Also...I'm considering a side charging handle, using the Mega upper. At $146, it's not too crazy. Now...what is a value priced SCH bolt carrier assy? And is this worth splurging on? From what little I've shot a scoped AR, it seemed like reaching under the scope to access the CH was an unnecessary PITA.

Everything is give and take, but the shooter and ammo have a big roll in things too. I wouldn't stretch the budget to the max only to limit my ammo and shooting fund.

I'd rather have a gun I can shoot all I want than a shiny gun I can't afford to shoot in the safe.

The most accurate gun is only as accurate as you can shoot it. Stay with known manufacturers and go for middle of the road. Are you really going to know if the supposed 1/4 minute of accuracy is missing?

When the MWS came out everyone was salivating about the coming stainless barrels. Then they started shooting the gun. The vast majority of people found out that the standard chrome lined barrel was no slouch. You hear a lot less discussion about stainless vs chrome now.

It's easy to get caught up in numbers on paper. Maybe you're a good enough shot that it will matter. I'm just trying to add a little perspective.

Free float a the best barrel your budget will allow, get a good trigger, PSA has the Geiselle SSA-E on sale from time to time for $179.00 for this kind of money you can't beat it, and good ammo

PSA also sells lower parts kits with the SSA-E included...got one recently for $229. I was mostly interested in getting a parts kit period, but probably saved $10-20, which is a minor miracle in these times.