• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is difference in Redding 308 bushing die and 260 die?

Smithcollector

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2009
    Georgia
    Any reason I can't use a 308 Redding bushing die with a bushing for a 260 neck to load 260 cases, or do I need the 260 bushing die?

There is no one bushing die for a caliber. For 308, the range is 331 to 338. I don't know what the full range is for 260, but it should be around 292.

Whoops, it was late for me last night and I misread the question. I thought the op was asking about the bushing. Yes, you can use a 308 bushing die for a 260 with a smaller bushing no prob.

Are you talking about the neck bushing dies? Or the full-length bushing dies?

I was getting ready to buy FL bushing dies for all three of our .308 based cartridges- .308, 7-08, and .260. Didn't check SAAMI specs- but no differences in shoulder dimensions- only neck dia?

Why then does Redding sell every one of these individually instead of a ".308 based" FL sizing die, for which one buys the necessary bushings?

Why then does Redding sell every one of these individually instead of a ".308 based" FL sizing die, for which one buys the necessary bushings?
    because, in absence of the right answer, someone could buy more dies, and not only one w.different bushings: selling strategies or, plainly, business_

Last edited:
    Lot of guys like to get a die set up for a rifle and leave it alone. Also, some like to have the die marked correctly for the ctg they are loading. I like the setting up on one set pre rifle. The markings mean nothing to me.
    I notice many also do not care to re form brass. It must have proper headstamp. I could care less about that as well.

Are you talking about the neck bushing dies? Or the full-length bushing dies?

I was getting ready to buy FL bushing dies for all three of our .308 based cartridges- .308, 7-08, and .260. Didn't check SAAMI specs- but no differences in shoulder dimensions- only neck dia?

I don't care for bushing dies so I don't have any but you're over simplifying the case shoulder lengths of those cases.

I was just about to ask the same question! I have the comp dies for 308. Its nice to know all I got to do is to get some new bushings to neck size 260. How about the comp seating die for a 308? Will it work with 260?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I don't care for bushing dies so I don't have any but you're over simplifying the case shoulder lengths of those cases.

My question exactly- which is why I said I hadn't checked the SAAMI specs for shoulder lengths, angles, etc. I will, though....

Just looking for the "quick" answer- I will research it, I suspect you're correct that FL dies would not be interchangeable.

My original question was for a neck only die. It looks like the 260 and 308 cases are formed slightly differently due to necking down to .308 vs .264.

Smith -
    I have done just what you are asking about to no ill effects.

Remove the .308 bushing, drop in the .260 bushing and you're set. Now, understand that I am not talking about necking down .308 to .260, but just resizing the necks of the individual sizes of cases. When neck sizing this way I usually size the necks about three quarters of the neck length and avoid any issues with any differences in shoulder geometry.

I only have the neck die, so I can't speak for the bushing FL die.

It works for me. F Open Long Range Master, F Open Mid Range High Master.

Paul

I was just about to ask the same question! I have the comp dies for 308. Its nice to know all I got to do is to get some new bushings to neck size 260. How about the comp seating die for a 308? Will it work with 260?

The 308 seating die has a larger stem. You might be able to get away with using it for 260 as long as the bullet tip doesn't hit the ceiling of the stem

Just to update im using the 308 comp die with .292 bushing to neck size my 260 brass and its working perfectly. I wonder if redding is really making the same exact die and just using different part #s for 308 and 260

Just a guess since I don't have the die to measure, it may be the same die body but I would guess the hole in the top of the die below the bushing may be smaller for the 260 than it is in the 308 die?

You might not be able to reverse this and use the 260 die on the larger 308 case?