• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is great vs. decent vs. horrible price on powder, projectiles primers?

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    Finally making the jump into reloading out of curiosity and desire to keep my mind occupied these days while inbetween jobs

But since I don't have any history here I don't have a good sense for what is a "great vs. decent vs. horrible price to pay for things like powder, projectiles primers.
    For example, Hodgdon currently has 8lb jug of Varget listed at ~$275 --> Is that up/down/same as it was past few years?

The below gunbroker seller has a butt-load of stuff available and while I am not set on ordering anything from them I am more curious
    • a) how do these sellers have so much available if nothing is available on store shelves (where does it come from)
    • b) Is this how most on the Hide typically source their reloading supplies.
    • c) Has anyone posted a general "what stuff cost" with example links in the past?

Untitled.png

If YOU are willing to pay a given listed price, it’s a good price. If not, it’s not a good price. It’s really as simple as that.

😲....did you just say 1,000 primers used to be $50?!?!? Ok wow, I really did pick the worst time to start experimenting.

The last box of Hornady 140GR ELD-M factory ammo I bought velocitied (magnetospeed sporter) at JUST 2668 in my 24in AI/AT with SD 16 and ES of 45. This was a 6 shot group.

Was thinking if I nerd out on all the resources on the hide maybe I could tighten up that ES and SD while increasing velocity closer to 2800?

So even if it costs marginally less than retail factory ammo, reloading will give me a more consistent and predictable round.

😲....did you just say 1,000 primers used to be $50?!?!? Ok wow, I really did pick the worst time to start experimenting.

The last box of Hornady 140GR ELD-M factory ammo I bought velocitied (magnetospeed sporter) at JUST 2668 in my 24in AI/AT with SD 16 and ES of 45. This was a 6 shot group.

Was thinking if I nerd out on all the resources on the hide maybe I could tighten up that ES and SD while increasing velocity closer to 2800?

So even if it costs marginally less than retail factory ammo, reloading will give me a more consistent and predictable round.
    Yeah I picked up locally 900 215m primers for 5.49 per 100 at the end of last year. Pretty typical price for primers. Any more than that and I don't buy them. Bullets are absolutely horrendous to source for me right now.

It depends on where you buy them, obviously. But for example at my local hardware store I got 2k CCI BR primers for under 80 bucks. What you may or may not have realized also is that the horrible prices are only half of the story. In the effort to spread the reloading goodness and to stave off hoarders companies are limiting to 1 or 2 items per person. With bullets you just have to pay shipping alot but it hits you harder with powder and primers because you have to pay hazmat also. If you bought it off the shelf you dont have to pay any of that. If you didnt have a local source you could pick up any components and consolidate shipping and hazmat in whatever quantity you want to one or two shipping and hazmat fees. None of this one at a time BS. Now is a bad time to start, but the quantity limitations really suck.

I stocked up early last year so I haven’t had to buy powder, primers or bullets for pistol or my 3 rifle cartridges.
    I recently built a 338 so I had to horse trade for large mag primers for small pistol and buy some more powder.
    I paid about 35$ per pound but that’s for vihtavouri.

there’s sources out there that aren’t gouging people.

I absolutely give NO money to gougers.

Reactions: Jrb572 and Raffy
    Based on my skimming of the historical PX and some helpful feedback in this post...here is where I shake out on the pre-crazy pricing and will use as my baseline for "Good vs. decent vs. horrible" going forward....

• Primers (Large Rifle) $0.05-0.10 per
    • Projectiles (140gr Hornady/Berger) $0.40-0.50 per
    • Powder (Varget, H4350, R17) $30-40 per pound = $0.18-0.24 per 6.5cm round

Those numbers are correct. Powder is up sonewhat, I haven’t seen the $210-240 you were quoted anywhere lately, esp pre-hazmat. I guess I saw one pistol powder that cheap the other day, but not H4350, Varget, or RL16/17/26.

Hornady ELDM bullets are a little high on the PX right now, typical store prices are $0.35 or so per, not the $0.50 you’re seeing on here. Bergers are around $0.50 per on the shelf.

You picked the worst time to get into reloading. These are absolutely horrible prices. Just wait another couple months or another year until things calm down. 8 pounds of varget or h4350 would be anywhere from 210-240 bucks
    This is your answer OP, you really cant use any prices or availability right now to factor what is a decent or horrible price cause shit is completely upside down. Some things are 3-4 times higher than the normal price, right now its more what you can find, how hard someone is going to try and break it off in you, and are you willing to pay that to shoot.