• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is Idaho Falls like?

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
Seriously thinking about moving to Idaho, want a down-home reasonable cost of living area that might need a crippled dentist and plenty of open ground to shoot. If not the Falls, then where?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The east and west sides of the state are pretty different. The east side (I.F., Pocatello, etc.) is pretty much big farms, ranching, and people that work out at the site. Pretty conservative, lots of Mormons, and the economy isn't too active. And yes, there is a lot of room to shoot. There's a nice 1K range at Rexburg, and plenty of open ground as well.

The west side centers on Boise. The economic base is pretty diverse, but weak (think California lite). The west side is pretty liberal (compared to eastern Id.) but it ain't as bad as it could be. You can shoot around here. There are a couple of 500 yd ranges, and a couple that go 1K within easy driving distance.

North Id. and the Magic Valley (Twin Falls) are different from Boise and I.F., but I never lived in either one of those locations.

I currently live and work near Boise, and drill with an NG unit in I.F. I prefer the east side, but HH6 wants to stay close to her (older) family in Boise.

Oh yeah, the winters here, especially in I.F., ain't the same as Virginia.

Hope this helps.

I don't live there, but drive through there at least once a year. Nice looking area (enough to meet the "must check for retirement possibilities" list), though does have some tourist flow, due to its proximity to Yellowstone. I really liked the look of Pocatello personally; saw some really nice ranch/farm spreads just south of there...

And yes, they have a real winter up there (not the stuff that Virginia calls winter). Got caught driving up there once, in a blizzard, heading up to Montana for the opening week of Pronghorn season (2nd week of Oct that year).....brrrr.....thank God for four wheel drive...

Lets not forget you'd be in "Shankster Territory". As a Idaho newbie he might loan you a hefty to get you through your first winter.

When I went through I.F., it was hot as hell, while a few hundred miles away in the mountains it was much cooler and more interesting. If you like flat land, I.F. would work. If you like mountains, I would look somewhere else in the state. Idaho is very beautiful, and great for outdoors activities.

I spent some time going through the main Salmon river wilderness area, and it was absoutely gorgeous. It may be a way to get to a large mall, but the trade off for the beauty of the area may well be worth it. I really enjoyed my time there, but I was only vacationing and not living there.

I lived in N. Utah for a long time and regularly worked in Idaho.
As stated, Eastern ID is largely farm land, dry and hot. Rexburg has a decent range, but shooting Service Rifle there, it is the only range that is so windy, the Standing stage is a real workout!
Boise is in what they call the Banana Belt. Really moderate temps. Great little town, very upscale for the size and location. Hell, they even have a Porsche dealership! I really like Boise. Airport right there, tech businesses moved in, good college, and skiing close by. Plus, if you are retired military, Mountain Home AFB is close by for the commissary.

The thing I notice most about IF when I go over there is the amount of good looking moms in Sam's Club and all the other stores I go to over there.

Attachments

• idaho falls meme.jpg
    idaho falls meme.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 20
Definitely would thrive better in a conservative area, relatively rural but not isolated; real estate cost is going to be a major factor as well. Winters: yeah, I know. Grew up outside of Buffalo NY; not sure I want to endure winters another order of magnitude worse, but the State looks so enticing. Would prefer to live with a good view of the mountains than necessarily live smack in the middle of them. Maybe farther south of IFalls; Pocatello, maybe. Just want to shoot, work enough to pay the bills. The images on Google show beautiful pictures of mountains and rivers, but I imagine living in those areas is out of the question for the average guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Going South to Pocatello isn't going to change the weather much. Pretty much the same to Salt Lake City.
The winds in SE Idaho can be fierce! For mountains on the East side, you'll have to head to the WY border.
For more moderate weather, head to the Western part of the state.

I have lived in Idaho Falls for quite a while (and some time in Pocatello too). In Idaho Falls real estate is cheap, the mountains are close, plenty of open ground to shoot. Conservatives abound in East Idaho. For such a small town, there are actually quite a few gun shops (I count 9 off the top of my head). Its a small town and is a pretty laid back place to live. The summers are hot and dry and the winters are cold, which turns off a lot of people. Its not for everyone, but I like it. If you want, small town, cheap cost of living, conservative people, and open ground for shooting, its worth checking out.