• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is really needed to true up a factory Rem. Action?

Bladestryke82

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2013
I'm drawing closer to getting all my parts together to drop off to the gunsmith for a rebarrel. It's a Remington 700 L/A I'm having trued while at the gunsmith. My question is the action, how much machine work is not enough for long range shooting? The local gunsmith says he only trues the receiver face and laps the bolt lugs. Is this enough to get a good shooting rifle for long range hunting/ target shooting or do I need to be looking at a full blueprint receiver? I have another gunsmith locally that builds only precision rifles but I'm not overly thrilled about the interactions I've had over the phone and through emails with him, almost feels like he only wants to sell me a complete rifle and not deal with doing just the action and barrel cut/ install.
Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I also would rather not send everything off to have done, I guess I'm old school about building face to face interactions when it comes to things like this.

Trued and lapped is enough. Some go so far as to true the bolt face as well, but the big bang for the bucks is the action and lugs.

Go check out Long Rifles group buy going on. You can get the work done by one of the best out there and it will probably cost you less.

Well 29 has it about that info, and you can look at LR's group buy to get more information about all the steps and processes involved in accurizing.

As far as a gunsmith, I have so far used Phoenix Custom Rifles and RWS on my two custom guns. Keith at Phoenix Custom by far has the best communication of any smith I have dealt with. Both do very good work, RWS was just cheaper by a bit so I wanted to give Robert a go at one of my guns as well.

I also had a 375 that was built by Lawton but I bought it complete when it was done. I heard they aren't the greatest to deal with anymore after the old man passed. Randy at R&D in SoCal is also a very good guy to deal with who puts out excellent work.

I would send it to someone that knows what they are doing. There is no need to true the face of the receiver if the threads aren't recut at the same time. The goal is to get an even axial force pulling the barrel tight up against the receiver. Just cutting the face of the receiver doesn't do this and in some cases makes it worse.

I would send it to someone that knows what they are doing. There is no need to true the face of the receiver if the threads aren't recut at the same time. The goal is to get an even axial force pulling the barrel tight up against the receiver. Just cutting the face of the receiver doesn't do this and in some cases makes it worse.

I'm not tracking. If you square the receiver face with the existing threads, it'll be just as square as if you square it to recut threads, no?

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't say the gunsmith doesn't know what he is doing, he has excellent reviews and is know for his reconditioning of vintage guns, I just don't know if it will be money well spent if he doesn't re-cut the threads concentric.

I'm not tracking. If you square the receiver face with the existing threads, it'll be just as square as if you square it to recut threads, no?

If the threads are cut off axis to the centerline of the raceway, when you true the face and lugs to the raceway, the threads will have some axial divergence. So when you screw in your barrel, the shoulder will contact one side before the other. When you torque it down, there will be stress.

What effect that will have on accuracy, I don't know, but it's not ideal

If the threads are cut off axis to the centerline of the raceway, when you true the face and lugs to the raceway, the threads will have some axial divergence. So when you screw in your barrel, the shoulder will contact one side before the other. When you torque it down, there will be stress.

What effect that will have on accuracy, I don't know, but it's not ideal

If someone is only squaring up the receiver face, I'd bet they are doing so based off of the existing threads, not the raceway centerline.

If someone is only squaring up the receiver face, I'd bet they are doing so based off of the existing threads, not the raceway centerline.

Then you'll have issues elsewhere. Lugs making uneven contact, bolt face not square with the chamber etc...

Check out Louisiana Precision Rifles in Haughton just to the east of you. They can do it right and are good guys.
I have contacted Mr. Roscoe in the past but he hasn't answered my last few emails and his website seems to be down. I will have to try calling him here when I get off work soon.

Then you'll have issues elsewhere. Lugs making uneven contact, bolt face not square with the chamber etc...

None on those issues will be any worse than they were originally. But the barrel/receiver/recoil lug lockup will almost certainly be better than it came from the OEM.

I have contacted Mr. Roscoe in the past but he hasn't answered my last few emails and his website seems to be down. I will have to try calling him here when I get off work soon.

I believe I saw a post he made saying he was slowly drawing things down and not taking on more work and expects to be out of the custom rifle business in the next few years. If I am mistaken, please accept my apologies.

I believe I saw a post he made saying he was slowly drawing things down and not taking on more work and expects to be out of the custom rifle business in the next few years. If I am mistaken, please accept my apologies.
Unfortunately you are correct. I talked to him today and he is finishing up the orders he has and getting out of the custom rifle making. He has already taken his website down.

Heres one of many trains of thought.

If your going to build an engine so that it's as friction free as we can make it with conventional methods, you start with the crankshaft bearing saddles and main caps. You line bore and/or line hone the cylinder case to get this feature straight and round.

The same argument can be made regarding reaming the raceway of the action. It gets it straight and round. It also requires a bolt of a different size once your done.

Next, you resurface the deck of the block where the heads bolt on. You register off of the main saddles that you made straight/round. This ensures the deck is flat, parallel, and square to the cylinder bores.

The same as facing the lugs abutments and the front of the receiver ring where the recoil lug purchases.

Onto boring the holes where the piston(s) go. Straight walls that are round, free of taper, and later honed to the appropriate surface finish. -Most anymore go a step further and torque plate hone the bores but that's another story.

Once again, strikingly similar in principle as cleaning up action threads. You ID bore to a specified diameter, then align/time your threading tool and remove any taper, concentricity, and roundness errors from the threads.

Now your done with the bulk of the process.

The point is, when you started your engine you began at the point of origin. When you accurize an action this way, your doing the same thing. The whole package datums off the receiver bore centerline.

I haven't felt the need to ream the receiver bore due to the added expense a customer is going to absorb by having to either buy a new bolt or have bushings installed on his existing bolt. Bushings are a complete waste of time IMO and I've seen them create more problems than they'll ever hope to solve. That said, we go to great lengths to ensure that our setup mandrels and bushings are laser straight and properly qualified at the beginning of our accurizing process. Just like any other reputable shop does.

You can slap a rebuild kit into a SBC and get lucky with a 200K engine that doesn't burn oil. It's done all the time. Some however insist on having a bit more work done in the interest of peace of mind or more power. Same is true with this whole receiver accurizing process. You might be fortunate and have a rifle that just bedazzles everyone. The idea is to ultimately instill confidence in yourself through your equipment so that you know where shots are going to go and off call fliers become a thing of the past. Accurizing, done well and combined with a complete package of well assembled, quality parts, goes a long way towards accomplishing this.

Guys who do this for a living and who have been doing it for a long time have one distinct advantage over others operating at the hobby level. When you do something over and over again, you get good at it and your opinions become more factual because of the broader level of experience you now possess.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: