• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is the best bedding compound?

Seems like there are a lot of variables to this and I would be curious to see the actual test. And for me I would assume that even at 5% shrinkage me just torquing my action screw to the correct torque would compress the bedding material, my pillars and the stock enough to remove the small amount of shrinkage from the issue. If I havent shot a rifle in a year, I would generally retorque it prior to shooting it any ways.
You are not compressing the bedding material once it's hardened, you might bend the stock, bottom metal or action but you are definitely not compressing the bedding with action screws.
But yes as shrinkage is volumetric it ,might not show much . Like i said Speedy's test points to longterm bedding stability, but its not an indicator of the material shrinkage as that mostly happend prior to cubes being cut to size.

You are not compressing the bedding material once it's hardened, you might bend the stock, bottom metal or action but you are definitely not compressing the bedding with action screws.
But yes as shrinkage is volumetric it ,might not show much . Like i said Speedy's test points to longterm bedding stability, but its not an indicator of the material shrinkage as that mostly happend prior to cubes being cut to size.
Also I feel like a 1" cube is going to have a lot more moisture than the few mm we bed and so the shrinkage should be less.

I'm bringing this back
I've used probed 2000 for years but it's honestly a mess to deal with..
I just got a Manners stock and am considering JB weld in the putty form cuz I have it on hand and it should be easy to apply, has anyone used it?

Reactions: FredHammer
I'm bringing this back
I just got a Manners stock and am considering JB weld in the putty form cuz I have it on hand and it should be easy to apply, has anyone used it?
I've relegated jb weld to small jobs in captured locations because of its flow. No matter the mix ration adjustment, it takes a long time to set up. Tried acra-glass, didn't like it. Devcon and MarineTex set up in 10-15 minutes where they'll go in, hold, and squeeze out. But then they cure there and don't flow. JB Weld will continue to lightly flow well into cure. Unless its all well damned/puttied up, I haven't been happy with the results settling. I'm no pro being paid to bed stuff, but I do a few stocks annually. Seems consistent with opinion history in the thread.

Reactions: unoboats
I'm bringing this back
Many years ago I tried the putty and it was terrible. It didnt take the form I expected. It left basically a rounded pocket for the lug.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Brownells sells Marine-tex in three sizes. My preferred material. Perfect consistency imo.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Just ran across this scrolling the gunsmithing section. I've only bedded one action and I used brownells steel bed. It was easy to work with but the included release agent sucked.

I used to have access to free belzona super metal. I should have taken advantage of that.

Here’s what I’ve used for a release agent and it works better than anything else I’ve tried. I did a test with accraglass release agent against this and it wasn’t even close.

Last edited:
@762 ULTRAMAGA Im certain devcon and marinetex is a stonger product but i found Acraglass Gel very easy to apply and not so messy for novices. Especially if you like to drink a bunch of beers while doing a bedding job.
Chad from LRI says do not use Acraglass Gel because it has nylon in it and sucks in moisture . Just in case you did not see his post on the previous page.

Reactions: scharfschutze762
I've used Accuglass, Marine-Tex and now JB weld Profesional. I like Marine-Tex the best. It flows well and sets up slow enough I have plenty of time to do what needs done. 90% of my use has been bedding hidden knife tangs and Marine Tex works best. JB weld is my second choice.

I've used Devcon 10110 numerous times and have zero complaints or reasons to look elsewhere. Did a new benchrest stock 2 weeks ago, turned out great again

Thank you, I hear good things about Devcon, but I just thought that I would ask the question. I have a wood stock and the JBWeld Kwikwood is supposed to mimic the actual wood. I thought that would resonate well.
I don't want to do this twice. So, Devcon it is.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!