• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is the best match grade barrel for an AR?

willyp3

Private
Minuteman
May 11, 2011
Texas
I have been shooting AR's for a couple of years. Recently, I restored a heavily damamged rifle that belonged to my brother. Now I have decided to build one. I want to build it around a fairly heavy match grade barrel, something in the 20 to 24 inch range.

What would you really experienced shooters recommend?

I've been thinking Shilen stainless steel, but I'm open to suggestions.

Re: What is the best match grade barrel for an AR?

Benchmark Barrels. 360-652-2594. I have their barrels on my 6.5-284 and had a 338 Edge built by them. With some researh on here you will find quite a few other quys who run their barrels too!! I believe their wait time is shorter than those of the more popular named brands...

I run a Rock Creek chrome lined mid gas carbine barrel. Its supposed to be the most accurate CL barrel ever made for the AR. But my hubby got it on some back channel dope deal, its even been sanitized of its markings (except the 5R).

Anywho... you need to specify what you wanna shoot. Is this a bench rifle, varmint gun, steel shooter, 3 gun stick, 1000k shooter? Are you gonna feed it M193, WWB, Black Hills Match, custom handloads? Damned near any decent quality AR barrel will get you 1-2 MOA, and if you're just going to shoot paper and Taliban beer cans on the weekends that'll be fine.

If you want more, then more details please. Also, whats your budget?

And by the way. Welcome to the Hide.

I am a huge fan of Brux and try to use them as much as possible. If you have the money get a Brux.

I primarily want to punch holes in paper at what would be considered long distances for an AR-15 style rifle. I have a couple of other ARs. One is an older H-Bar and the other is one I just got through restoring, basically an Olympic arms. I also have an LMT308.

I have a backstock of ammo, mainly Winchester and S&B.

As far as a budget is concerned, I don't want to go over 3 figures.

Those (lilja) look very nice!! thanks very much.

Those White Oak barrels and the Brux barrels look very good as well.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Lothar Walther barrels that SOG Armory is using in some of their special rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im a fan of White Oak </div></div>

+3

The wait times are the same there as most other places.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willyp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been shooting AR's for a couple of years. Recently, I restored a heavily damamged rifle that belonged to my brother. Now I have decided to build one. I want to build it around a fairly heavy match grade barrel, something in the 20 to 24 inch range.

What would you really experienced shooters recommend?

I've been thinking Shilen stainless steel, but I'm open to suggestions. </div></div>

Krieger or Bartlein...........none better on the face of the planet

willyp3,

I recently built an AR with a 20" krieger that I've been extremely pleased with. They usually have some in stock ready to go as well.

What is the best match grade barrel for an AR?

One you've worn out.
wink.gif

Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willyp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

</div></div>

Really? What brand hasn't been suggested? We actually help narrow down your choices?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: willyp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks very much for all the suggestions.

</div></div>

Really? What brand hasn't been suggested? We actually help narrow down your choices?
grin.gif
</div></div>

That is definitely a funny reply considering I see Shilen, Benchmark, Brux, Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja and three or four other barrel brands mentioned. Thanks for the good humor!

I'm a big fan of Hart barrels. They actually have a part of their website (as surely others do) dedicated to AR-15 rebarreling. Hard to beat a Hart barrel.

Bartlein barrels seems to work well for my 308 AR...don't know if they are best but they seem to end up on lots of my rifles to include bolt rifles.

I'll be doing a lot of looking during the upcoming couple of weeks.

krieger...they are the only ones guaranteeing gas port hole location in groove...

Krieger is an excellent choice. This is the one I'd pick. Again that is.

I have had outstanding results with Krieger. I have one on an AR (SPR, 18" barrel) rifle and it shoots like a dream. Cleans up really easy too. It's a friggin' hammer with Hornady 75gr HP Match.

I'm hearing good things about the Lothar Walther AR barrels and Black Hole is making a name for themselves as well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I just noticed the bit about not wanting to go over $300.00</span>. If that's the case then I recommend you look at Model 1 Sales. I purchased one of their stainless 16" barrels for my Bushmaster a few years ago. It's amazingly accurate and I think the barrel cost me a whole $200 bucks. I think it's an E.R. Shaw but Hell it shoots fantastic. I also think Black Hole is real reasonable price wise.

Another vote for krieger here. I have a kriger blank turned by compass lake. Great barrel. Also look at douglass barrels. Had great luck with them for ars as well.

Pat

I bought 3 WOA barrels. 2ea. 16" and 1ea. 18". One 16 and one 18 wouldn't hold a candle to my Bartlein. Sold both. Still have one 16" but haven't put any range time into yet. May just sell it rather than deal with the possible frustration. Hopefully it's better than the other 2.

Kreiger or Bartlein would get my money.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snip
<span style="font-weight: bold">I just noticed the bit about not wanting to go over $300.00</span>. snip </div></div>

I suspect he may have meant 3 significant figures: i.e. $999. I don't blame him - that's a bunch.

If he did mean $300, he still has some choices. I bought a DTI 1:9 by Wilson (chrome lined) 16" that shoots TITS (.7 MOA)on my free-floated Mega with a stock trigger. It was $190 back in 2005. I think that with the cheaper barrels the chances of you getting lucky and getting a shooter are still really, really high if all things are kept similar (free-float, trigger, etc.)

I DON'T think this is at all true with .308 ARs, which is why lots of folks have shown dissatisfaction with the DPMS .308 guns.

But I digress.
blush.gif

Krieger gets my $$$

I have seen Wilson,Douglass and other barrels shoot good but I have never seen a properly installed Krieger shoot bad. I have Krieger's on my service rifle AR15 and a .308 Garand and both are hammers for accuracy. Zero regrets and great barrels.

Krieger is tough to beat. Look at the equipment lists for matches and you will find Krieger barrels are consistently used by high score shooters.

IIRC a Krieger can be had for an AR for around $450, right?

What do you blokes think of cryo treatment for barrels?

I have a Stainless steel Lilja 1:8 barrel on my AR and it shoots real nice!

100_5451.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: customshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krieger...they are the only ones guaranteeing gas port hole location in groove... </div></div>

We guarantee that the gas port hole will be in the middle of the groove. Everyone is inspected before we send it out. $400 for a barrel completely chambered and headspaced with barrel extension on and timed up. All you need is the gas block and the gas tube and its ready to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snip
<span style="font-weight: bold">I just noticed the bit about not wanting to go over $300.00</span>. snip </div></div>

I suspect he may have meant 3 significant figures: i.e. $999. I don't blame him - that's a bunch.

If he did mean $300, he still has some choices. I bought a DTI 1:9 by Wilson (chrome lined) 16" that shoots TITS (.7 MOA)on my free-floated Mega with a stock trigger. It was $190 back in 2005. I think that with the cheaper barrels the chances of you getting lucky and getting a shooter are still really, really high if all things are kept similar (free-float, trigger, etc.)

I DON'T think this is at all true with .308 ARs, which is why lots of folks have shown dissatisfaction with the DPMS .308 guns.

But I digress.
blush.gif
</div></div>

You have a point there. For $300.oo most anybody can push bullets downrange. If you want some serious quality you are going to have to go a little higher. Peoples (skilled) time and money, already spent to satisfy a market, are worth a lot more than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brux Barrels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: customshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krieger...they are the only ones guaranteeing gas port hole location in groove... </div></div>

We guarantee that the gas port hole will be in the middle of the groove. Everyone is inspected before we send it out. $400 for a barrel completely chambered and headspaced with barrel extension on and timed up. All you need is the gas block and the gas tube and its ready to go.

</div></div>

PLEASE pass along this suggestion. Start advertising this on your website. I know you do .308 AR barrels as well because I've emailed you, but I don't think this is very well known.

I have a Krieger 7tw on my SAC built AR15... it's the most repeatable semi that I've ever seen and it will give a serious run to a lot of top flight bolt guns.

I use White Oak turned Pac-nor 3 grooves. I haven't had one that didn't hammer with Sierra 77's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark Chanlynn.

Rocky Mountain Rifle Works. . .

Best there is. </div></div>

This

What kind of groups have are you guys getting? I have a WOA SPR barrel and it's really picky on ammo. I have yet to find anything that will shoot better then BH 77gr MK262, including my reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups have are you guys getting? I have a WOA SPR barrel and it's really picky on ammo. I have yet to find anything that will shoot better then BH 77gr MK262, including my reloads. </div></div>

The test targets that I saw from Mark show a pair of 5rd groups at 100yd, the two averaged out at ~ 0.36". The 650yd paper groups were both under 3".

I'm waiting for my A2520 and 77 SMK's to show up. With the 68 Hornady's and H335 I have a load that hovers on 3/4 MOA from just pulling ammo out ammo from my last AR15 that I ditched for this one. When I get some the ammo in and time to load it up I'll know how it can really perform with me trying to shoot.

A barrel made by someone who makes barrels that win matches if you plan to shoot matches.

If you have a price limit there are many button rifled barrels available for less coin. The thing that sets Krieger apart is the cut rifled,hand lapped,ground between centers and cryo treated tubes.Labor intensive and slow but a VERY controllable process.

For $300 you should be able to get a nice barrel but a top shelf tubs will run a little higher.

I've got a 18" Krieger SPR barrel, and a 16" Krieger Recon barrel, both set up for the OPS 12th suppressor.
The best shooter I know, a Marine Sniper instructor, said he's never seen a finer AR barrel, period.

You won't get a better barrel for the money than the Brux mentioned above. They are cut rifled, hand lapped, from the heart of cut-rifled barrels here in WI made by some very good guys.

I shoot multi-gun alot... I have 2 JP , 1 LW-50 , and a wilson air guage (wag) all of them are 1-8 twist and wylde chamber and I can not tell a differance from one to the other on accuracy all are real good, but there is a big price differance in them from the most expensive to the least. $200 differance from top to bottom.