• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best spotting scope stand?

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
What is the best spotting scope stand for the money? Mostly off the bench or prone. I just bought a nice Kowa and don't want is flopping over on my Cabelas tripod I put my Burris on. I was looking at Giraud, creedmoor etc. Are they worth the money or is there a more cost effective alternative I'm missing?
AHA
Rad

Re: What is the best spotting scope stand?

http://www.scopestands.com/

He has SF jump-rated variants if that does it for ya.

Be sure and talk to him on the phone so that he configures his many options in such a fashion that it a) works with your scope, and b) meets your needs.

I would spend some money into a good tripod, it makes a huge difference. Since you dropped the money on a nice spotting scope do not skimp on the tripod.

Manfrotto is always my pick, their video tripods are the best if you want stability. I would never put my tripod on the bench though, that's asking to have it get knocked over. Get a compact tripod for the ground.

I recently picked up a manfrotto 190XB with a 128RC head, as well as the window mount and 322RC2 joystick head. Either head will work with either the legs or window mount.

The 190XB legs have a piece that is stored on the bottom of the center column. If you remove the center column and use this adaptor alone, you can get your scope down to around 4" - 5" off the ground.

This set up works very well with my Vortex Razor 85mm scope.

Grip heads kicks ass, you will hate using anything else after using it for a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Majik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manfrotto is always my pick, their video tripods are the best if you want stability. I would never put my tripod on the bench though, that's asking to have it get knocked over. Get a compact tripod for the ground.</div></div> +1...had a Leupy spotter break in half on me when it fell off my bench one afternoon...should've known better
mad.gif

+everyone else...on the Manfrotto and like Pat M said, you will love the grip head and/or joystick head.

You wouldn't go to Radio Shack to get a CD player for a Ferrari...so don't get a shitty tripod for your good glass
grin.gif

Manfrotto or Gitzo would be my pick.

I purchased an 883 Kowa from a gentleman on the site here and had the same concerns. I happened on to "Really Right Stuff" and the following tripod: TP-243 Ground-Level Tripod. I placed a BH-40 Ballhead on top (probably overkill) for an extremely stable and enjoyable result with a footprint that lends to benchrest. Be prepared as the quality comes with a rather proud price.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc....ipod&key=it

Pete

+1

Ewing is very stable

Thanks Scott. I ended up in exactly that same configuration after I read MP15's post. Looks like what I got for my camera will work fine for spotting as well.
Thanks for all the input

If you shot laying prone on the ground ( not on concrete ) use an Ashbury TACT3 ,

PP out

I have a 20 something year old Bogen 3001 Professional tripod and it works great. Used to use it with an SLR camera. Its all aluminum and totally adjustable.

You can probably find one cheap on ebay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manfrotto.
ScottsPictures1836.jpg

DroidPics033.jpg
</div></div>

What model is that Manfrotto? thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reich10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manfrotto.
ScottsPictures1836.jpg

DroidPics033.jpg
</div></div>

What model is that Manfrotto? thank you </div></div>

it looks to be the 190XB with the joystick head. i have the same thing and it works perfect from a fixed position but its a little heavy to carry around. if you need something to carry with you, look at the medium slik tripod. i think its in Tburks review.

that is a 190.

Have the same with a couple of additions. Manfrotto makes a shorter neck so when I have it out to the side it is easier to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.scopestands.com/

He has SF jump-rated variants if that does it for ya.

Be sure and talk to him on the phone so that he configures his many options in such a fashion that it a) works with your scope, and b) meets your needs.</div></div>

Ewings are shit on anything but flat ground, manicured ranges preferred... ya military guys have them and use them, but they completely less than stable.

On benches and concrete they vibrate in the wind, in anything other than prone they are top heavy, and unstable... on uneven ground forget it. The legs while independent don't lock, although I don have one with a "screw" to lock it, I hate it... then you get he cost involved... please.

Manfrotto or some other high end camera tripod works on everything correctly, not just a few things, okay.

I'm very happy with Manfrotto.
...SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ashbury International TACT3
ash4.jpg

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1859058

Its only $617.63 or with optional Terrain Leveling Gimbal $810.86
</div></div>

These things are unobtanium. Mod Armory doesn't have any stock (and won't ship to Australia) and I can't find them anywhere else...

Ashbury directed me to Tactical & Survival Specialties, Inc., in Harrisonburg, VA as their US civvy distributor.

http://www.tssi-ops.com/

540-434-8974

After a quick call to Aaron Messinger and giving him my cc#, I got my TACT3 GPx in 10 days.

Think this piece is regulated by ITAR so don't think they'll export....

Don't mean to hyjack, but does anyone have a recommendation for a stand for hunting?

Although the Ashbury TACT3 appears to have a small tripod footprint, it has a ~6" spike stored in the bottom of the center column that can be stuck in the ground for increased stability.

Just a quick question... is the Ashbury International TACT3 the same as the tripod for a Vector21? The vector I believe is made by vectronix.

Take a look at the K&K They are pricy but very well made

If you deploy you might be able to find an ashbury on its way to drmo to be destroyed. Check the mrt yards or amnesty yards. I found an ashbury with a gimble and some sordins amongst the piles of stuff.

Hi all,

I too am in the market for a stand.

Why is everyone recommending photographic equipment stands over a specialty stand made for shooting? Is it an issue of compactness? I can't afford one of the stands from Ashbury, but I was looking at the stands sold by Creedmoor Sports. A couple others mentioned the Creedmoor stands, but not many.

Look forward to your responses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cbmax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi all,

I too am in the market for a stand.

Why is everyone recommending photographic equipment stands over a specialty stand made for shooting? Is it an issue of compactness? I can't afford one of the stands from Ashbury, but I was looking at the stands sold by Creedmoor Sports. A couple others mentioned the Creedmoor stands, but not many.

Look forward to your responses.</div></div>

Ones made for shooting are made for flat ground like a Range, they are not very good in high winds, they are not good on concrete and they are not good on uneven ground especially when there are rocks which prevent ground spikes from being used.

I will tell you we recently had a group of Special Operations guys, they get stuff like the Ashbury Tripod for free and still, they used Gitzo Traveler tripods... so that tells you something about dedicated.

Guys had the Creedmoor stands in CA last year at Sac Valley when we did the class, it was cold, windy, and on concrete and it was unusable but our Manfrottos were there to take up the slack.

The Precision Rifle Solutions stuff is REALLY nice, I've never used a manfrotto to compare it to though.

I bought one of the large tripods with the cradle and a few axtra adapter plates so I can quickly swap out between a cradle for shooting the rifle, and a stand for LRF, spotter, or bino's. I like that you can use it for everything from prone to standing even if your 7' tall. I like it so much I'm going to pick up a second to use exclusively as a LRF/spotter/bino tripod as I bought this one to use with the rifle, and sometimes it would be nice to be able to set up both the rifle and a spotter or LRF.