• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the range and average COAL 700P .308 SA?

rideHPD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.linkedin.com
Ok, here's the deal, I'M NOT TRYING TO BYPASS MEASURING MY COAL FOR A LOAD; I'm starting to reload for this rifle, but before I do I'm ordering a new chassis (the HS stock does not afford proper trigger control comfortably for me) which offers magazines for extra long out-of-spec cartridges. Since I will not have access to my rifle for a little while and I'd like to order the mags and chassis now to have ready when I return without having to reorder new mags when I start reloading I would like to see what the range of COALs is for this rifle and if my COAL might exceed 2.9" which would require me to order longer mags. Thanks in advance for the info.

Re: What is the range and average COAL 700P .308 SA?

I thought I would add that I have not really decided on what I'll be loading, and I know that the ogive and bc of the bullet affects the decision of whether the rifle will want/how far it wants the bullet seated on lands. Prob 168gr SMK or something relatively cheaper as this is my daily driver and I'm not going to be pouring money into it.

I rebarreled my 700P so I can't make any measurements now but I did find a reference in my notes that with a Nosler CC 168 gr bullet seated to 2.800" I had a 0.130" jump to the lands. To seat the bullet on the lands it was barely in the case, maybe 0.050".

coal on my 700p .308 was 2.915 at .020 off the lands with hornady 168's
now its down to 2.825 at .020 thanks to long rifles using their m118lr reamer

Good luck getting anywhere near the rifling on a standard Rem throated 700 .308. I'm sure if I tried it with mine the bullet would barely be seated! I get around that by jumping the bullet from a COAL of 2.82" with 168's and 175's. This gives outstanding accuracy in mine. However I will measure in the morning and post the results for you.

As another option you can always have a smith re-cut the chamber for you as an option which should then allow you to get close with standard mag length loads.

Almost all of my better performing loads in the two remington cut 308 chambers I have will work inside the factory mag box. The sweet spot gennerally ends up in the 2.805-2.825 range. I do run AI mags, but they are not needed because of the over all length. The exceptions are the long heavy weights like the 180 JLK VLD and 190 Berger VLD.

Also, running anything over about 2.865" you will have to have the action modified. With out it, the cartridge will not feed due to hanging up on the lip of the feed ramp on the underside of the action.

I was planning on doing that down the road, or get it rebarreled if it becomes necessary, but for now with the stock in question (Mcree MODSS) I can get mags without a spacer plate for the same price and I can get the full length (brass permitting) by opening up the magazine inlet with a dremel, and from what I've been finding it looks like I might do that for a quick fix so I can run the full COAL without having to take it to a smith. When they rechamber they have to cut the barrel down as well from where it meets the receiver, correct? That's been my understanding, and I've been putting it off to have my receiver blueprinted at the same time, along with all the other stuff I'd like to do. I'd rather be without my rifle as little as possible. Thanks again for the information.

Yes they will cut some off the chamber end if you have it rechambered. Then reaching the lands will be a non issue. As stated above, most bullets loaded out to touch or be within a few thousandths of the lands will be very near to falling out of the brass. (with the factory chamber)

The exception will be with the very heavy verity, such as 190+ vlds and A-max. But those are difficult to load fast enough to capitalize on their ballistic advantage when compared to the speed you can send 155-175 grain bullets down range.

I would like to add, many of us (308 shooters) have gone down the road I believe you are describing only to come back to the 155 or 175/178’s, I have. The 180 JLK is the exception and an awesome exception, but I save them for my custom barrels that have match chambers.

Sounds like I need not be concerned then that on my semiauto LMT MWSE 308, measurements reveal that the bulelt jump will be .043" at COAL of 2.805" or .038" at COAL of 8.010" (my target COAL).
smile.gif

I was wondering whether that amount of jump was typical. Guess it is.

Jim G

i just measured my 700 last night, 2.952 would make it just barely seated. i also have about 1500 rounds through the stock barrel.

I just checked my 700p with the old split case neck bullet trick and couldn't actually touch the lands while maintaining neck tension. Longest COAL I could get with enough neck tension to retrieve the case and bullet together was 3.04" and it still didn't touch the rifling.

I have a remington sps .308, when I measureed using the hornady tool I came up with 3.010. as a few others have stated there is not enough grip for the shell to hold the bulet. My best groups come at 2.775. I have loads worked up for 2.8 and 2.83 that I am trying tommorrow. If old data holds true the 2.83 will be the max. The remingtons have a deep throat.