• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors what is the very quietest 308 suppressor made

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
i found this thread asked in the arcives but not in the last year or 2.

money doesn't figure in to in, shooting supersonic ammo what is the quietest suppressor made

Re: what is the very quietest 308 suppressor made

their are a bunch that are very quiet and will suppress the muzzle blast down below the noise level of the bullet flight.
the bullet is gonna have a sonic crack and their is nothing you can do to stop that noise. Most good cans will be real quiet but the cack will still be their and some cans will have a little different tone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the bullet is gonna have a sonic crack and <span style="font-weight: bold">their is nothing you can do to stop that noise.</span></div></div>

Yes there is, and the OP posted it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....shooting supersonic ammo what is the quietest suppressor made </div></div>

When I looked at multiple cans the meter only swung by 3db and the initial crack was still peaking the meter with all of them.

When people would ask to "hear" the difference between Suppressor A & Suppressor B most only could comment on tone and not how quiet it really is, the caveat to that, it's subjective and if you put 3 people behind the rifle to listen they all hear something different.

With all the suppressors I own, and it's more than your average stocking dealer, the quietest can I have heard over the years was a Tac Ops. however the odds of getting one without also buying the rifle is pretty low, not impossible but low.

For the most part with a precision rifle talking sound is a waste of time, unless you're talking subsonic ammo, and still accuracy is the most important factor because they are not all accurate. Sound is generally a distance 3rd when considering a prescision rifle suppressor.

what are the first 2 things

accuracy and weight?

the reason im asking is i have been looking at 308 suppressors for a few weeks. a buddy brought out a ymh phantom 556 so i could atleast see how loud it was with super sonic ammo (even though its a diffrent caliber) and to be honest i was not impressed. i was curious if i got a higher end suppressor if it would help. with the ymh i thought i could still hear alot of the expolsion as well as the crack. but my suppressor experiance is limited to my huntertown arms gardian rimfire suppressor

YHM's .308 can is not the best performer, but not the worst either. There are a few cans that are up to 4-6dB quieter, but as others pointed out, the largest part of the noise you hear is the sonic crack. That's present with all supersonic ammunition. So, although there are some brands that are moderately quieter, if you were truly "disappointed" by the YHM's sound, you'll probably be disappointed by them all. FWIW the AAC 300-SD is the current leader on 1m left muzzle testing at Silencerforum (136.1dB compared to 141.5 for the YHM).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are the first 2 things

accuracy and weight?

the reason im asking is i have been looking at 308 suppressors for a few weeks. a buddy brought out a ymh phantom 556 so i could atleast see how loud it was with super sonic ammo (even though its a diffrent caliber) and to be honest i was not impressed. i was curious if i got a higher end suppressor if it would help. with the ymh i thought i could still hear alot of the expolsion as well as the crack. but my suppressor experiance is limited to my huntertown arms gardian rimfire suppressor
</div></div>

What do you want out of your suppressor/rifle? What type of rifle are you shooting? A gas gun is going to be substantially louder than a bolt gun. Rimfire is a different ballgame altogether than a .308. There are a lot of benefits to shooting suppressed and sound reduction is just one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a buddy brought out a ymh phantom 556 so i could atleast see how loud it was with super sonic ammo (even though its a diffrent caliber) and to be honest i was not impressed.
</div></div>

I can tell you that using a rifle silencer in an operational environment gives you a much greater appreciation for them. Mine seem louder on the range than in the real world. I don't believe it's because of auditory exclusion.

my suppressor will not be used in a operational envorment.

what i want out of a suppressor is for my accuracy to be the exact same as un suppressed. i dont mine working up a suppressed load if that needs to happen but i sill want sub moa preformance.

i think i got spoiled by the rimfire suppressor. im teaching my kid to shoot and the rimfire suppressor is working great.

To my ears the Ops Inc 3rd model is noticeably quieter then just about any of the 30 cal suppressors I have heard. It it's pretty close to the 338 AAC Titan QD. The drawbacks if consider them draw backs is that you have reprofile your barrel, it's weight and it's long. But it has proven to be a very accurate suppressor with minimal shift.

The TBAC 30P-1 is also very highly regarded suppressor in terms of accuracy and suppression. I use mine on both my 308 and 7WSM with no issues.

AAC is also coming out with several new 30 cal suppressors, but I am really interested in the 300TM. A 30 cal thread mounted, titanium suppressor, rated for 300WM.

From speaking with many different suppressor designers, much of your "shift" may be a result of your barrel, not the suppressor. The problem is the "shift" is only seen after you add the suppressor, so most folks blame the can.

I can tell you that anytime I have experienced a LARGE shift it has been because the barrel threading or another factor was causing deflection in the suppressor alignment.

I don't have a large variety of cans to experiment with. I am hoping to resolve this soon.
wink.gif

I have an AAC 300SD Ti at the dealer with the paperwork in the ATF queue. I have't heard it yet, but I bought it thanks to a deal from my dealer, so I am looking forward to trying it. I would suspect it does a good job because it is much longer than most.

The new AWC THOR has a very nice "tone" and sound to it, they have a heavier wall than most other Ti cans and it shows in the sound signature. Unfortunately the only time I shot it, (paperwork in at ATF since Sept) the road noise at the range was 70db by itself, so it was tough to get a reading with, but it was noticeably quieter and had a much software sustained tone.

Most others hover in that zone of average suppression rate. Even the shorter Gemtech Sandstorm was very close to the other cans, with a good overall sound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From speaking with many different suppressor designers, much of your "shift" may be a result of your barrel, not the suppressor. The problem is the "shift" is only seen after you add the suppressor, so most folks blame the can.

I can tell you that anytime I have experienced a LARGE shift it has been because the barrel threading or another factor was causing deflection in the suppressor alignment.

I don't have a large variety of cans to experiment with. I am hoping to resolve this soon.
wink.gif
</div></div>

The barrel thing is what everyone of them will say, they all want to do themselves even with putting multiple cans on the same rifle.

I have put several cans on the same rifle threaded from GAP and the shift varies, from .25 to much more and once you bring it to their attention they all say the threading is wrong. I had 3 cans with less than 3/4" shift and one that went further and it was the barrel... so the question is why were the others okay ?

An example I use was my Gemtech, the shift was big for the first round, and then it grouped and worked very well. Well over the course of 500 rounds that 1st round shift got smaller and smaller until now it is pretty close to gone. That isn't the barrel, and when you talk to people who know or use the Gemtech they all say they never saw that happen... I was lucky and documented it. Most just don't check or chalk it up to other factors, like the barrel.

When accuracy is off, the shift it larger than reported, anything, they all blame the rifle...

Yep. My statement on POI shift is that it depends on the specific rifle and the specific silencer. Any manufacturer who claims they can guarantee zero or trace POI shift is pissing on your foot. There are things a manufacturer can do, design-wise, to minimize POI shift, but every rifle is different and every silencer is slightly different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From speaking with many different suppressor designers, much of your "shift" may be a result of your barrel, not the suppressor. The problem is the "shift" is only seen after you add the suppressor, so most folks blame the can.

wink.gif
</div></div>

Wait, are you saying the suppressor itself, does not alter the rifles shooting? If so, that is completely incorrect and it has been proven. You are affecting barrel harmonics while at the same time adding a weight to your barrel. Baffles are not concentric, they are designed not to be, when the gasses are disrupted it will change your POI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wait, are you saying the suppressor itself, does not alter the rifles shooting?</div></div>

No, that is most certainly NOT what I am saying.

Of course hanging a chunk of metal on the end of my barrel is going to change the harmonics. However you can hang the same can on two different barrels and get two different results. Barrel design and threading has an effect on the POI shift. A stiffer tube with perfect threading is going to have less POI shift than a sporter barrel with non-concentric threads.

However, since many suppressor owners only own one can, if the rifle shoots without the can, then doesn't shoot with the can they automatically blame the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well over the course of 500 rounds that 1st round shift got smaller and smaller until now it is pretty close to gone. </div></div>

Do you have any guess as to why the shift reduced as you got rounds through the can?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wait, are you saying the suppressor itself, does not alter the rifles shooting?</div></div>

Of course hanging a chunk of metal on the end of my barrel is going to change the harmonics. However you can hang the same can on two different barrels and get two different results. Barrel design and threading has an effect on the POI shift. A stiffer tube with perfect threading is going to have less POI shift than a sporter barrel with non-concentric threads.

However, since many suppressor owners only own one can, if the rifle shoots without the can, then doesn't shoot with the can they automatically blame the can.
</div></div>

Cool, I see where you're coming from now

I was about to say.... WTH is he talking about!?

smile.gif

Lowlight is right. Repeatable accuracy and minimal POI changes are more important on a precision rifle suppressor.

On ours, we started with those factors and once the baffle design was attained that was best, we tuned them for sound and weight reduction.

@ 14 oz. and magnum rated, it offers both supersonic and sub sonic superior sound reduction.

I am very proud to engrave my name on the FEMUR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Cool, I see where you're coming from now

I was about to say.... WTH is he talking about!?

smile.gif
</div></div>

what gun did you shoot the YHM CAN on? If it was a AR it's def gonna be louder than a bolt gun with the gas/noise coming through when the bolt cycles. My bolt gun is much quieter than my AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well over the course of 500 rounds that 1st round shift got smaller and smaller until now it is pretty close to gone. </div></div>

Do you have any guess as to why the shift reduced as you got rounds through the can?</div></div>

I am guessing carbon filling the right places changing the way it disrupts the gasses in there.

One of the limited times im glad to have a "truck axle" MTU contour. Liberty freedom mag on 300 win mag surgeon scalpel add .3 mil elev and done.

mabye thats why i wasn't impressed with the original ymh suppressor i tried. i was shooting it out of a ar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do you have any guess as to why the shift reduced as you got rounds through the can?</div></div>

I am guessing carbon filling the right places changing the way it disrupts the gasses in there. </div></div>

So do cans "Break in?" ie: carbon filling nooks and crannies. Metals heating and cooling to reduce stresses in the can itself?

I have 5 cans that shoot very well. One can I am trying to diagnose a problem
with.

I think that most cans do have a slight break in period. Just like any good barrel. They need to be seasoned. 100 rounds on a bolt gun should do it. I often find that my after market barrels need about 100-150 rounds on them to let me change my hand loads a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mabye thats why i wasn't impressed with the original ymh suppressor i tried. i was shooting it out of a ar </div></div>

Yeah try one on a bolt gun, it will be alot better, sucks you get the noise back through the chamber on an AR, but what are you gonna do, it's ready to send another one before the the first one even gets to the target. Nature of the beast

OK-I feel I have to write a book to make it clear, so here goes: I have a YHM 762 Titanium QD. I only use it on AR's and I don't have any adjustable gas blocks, so I can't tune out action noise. (The weight savings on the Ti model is worth the $$$)

On my 308 AR, I can stand 20 feet to the side of the shooter and listen to the gun fire. Best I can describe the sound with full power ammo is somewhere between 22LR and 22MAG fired from an un-suppressed rifle. The supersonic crack is loud and follows the bullet downrange. How much of this is action noise and leakage I cannot say. Now-step 2

I walk downrange to the 50-yd target stand on my range (in the woods.) About 20 feet to the side of my 50 yd target is a large (3 ft dia) oak tree. I stand behind this tree and have a trusted shooter fire at the 200 yd target so that the bullet impact won't mess up my extremely scientific test results. (Don't try this at home)
crazy.gif
The shooter fires on my command. What do I hear? I hear absolutely NOTHING from the direction of the actual shooter. Every bit of the noise I heard came from the direction of the 50-yd line which was the point closest to me (20 feet) in the bullets path to the 200 yd target. The noise I heard from the bullet's fly-by was remarkably the same as what I hear standing 20 feet from the shooter. Not quite as loud, but close enough for me to deduce that my YHM is taming almost all the actual muzzle blast. Like you, I was not impressed at first with my YHM but I now have a much greater respect for it. I have repeated this test several times and had others do the same and everyone agrees the bullet's flight is probably 95% of the noise you hear.

I've tried the 556 AR's with my 308 suppressor and got the same results, only quieter. The 556 through the 308 YHM sounds like a 22lr unsuppressed. Even at the 50 yd line there is hardly any difference in the sound compared to standing at the rifle. I've read that the size of the object (150 gr 30 cal vs 55 grain 22 cal) has a lot to do with the noise level of the supersonic crack. The example I saw was comparing a bullet to a jet plane in that a jet makes a boom that rattles the windows whereas you'd have to shoot the windows with a rifle.

I'm sure that if the bullet noise had not overwhelmed the noise at the gun, I would have plainly heard the gas leakage and action noise of the AR when I was at the 50 yd line. However the bullet was very LOUD as it passed by and it sounded like someone fired a 22LR 20 ft away.

With subs--my AR's still try to operate but still the loudest noise is the bullet hitting cardboard at 50 yds. The gun sounds like a BB gun.
While testing different sub loads, I did not need a chrony to know if I was breaking the sound barrier. Anything above speed of sound was just like shooting unsuppressed 22LR. Soon as I crossed the line to subsonic (-.2 gr powder from the borderline load) there was hardly any noise at all.

My conclusions:
1. My YHM is plenty quiet and I'm 100% pleased with it.
2. You don't need "the quietest" suppressor in the world if you're using supersonic ammo because the bullet noise will more than overwhelm any db advantage your suppressor may have.
3. I now know why they say you can't pinpoint the source of suppressed gunfire unless you are extremely close to the source. The sound comes from wherever the bullet passed by your position.
4. I should have bought a suppressor 30 yrs ago, although it would not have been nearly as advanced as they are now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SNIP

I walk downrange

SNIP </div></div>

I have done the very same thing with every rifle suppressor I've shot. I found I could get the best feeling for the tone of the suppressors as well as remove myself from the noise escaping the action on gas guns.

I honestly think this gives the best/most accurate impressions of a suppressor's capability with regard to sounds reduction.

Just my 2 cents...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the limited times im glad to have a "truck axle" MTU contour. Liberty freedom mag on 300 win mag surgeon scalpel add .3 mil elev and done. </div></div>

That MTU doesn't seem to be getting you much benefit with your setup. My TRG22 with a Ti Arbiter 26" Rem Varmint contour barrel .260 0 POI shift from unsuppressed. Although I do think your POI shift is perfectly acceptable as long as it's repeatable.

As others have mentioned there are multiple factors at play- contour, can weight, threading and perhaps design or tolerances inside the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the limited times im glad to have a "truck axle" MTU contour. Liberty freedom mag on 300 win mag surgeon scalpel add .3 mil elev and done. </div></div>

That MTU doesn't seem to be getting you much benefit with your setup. My TRG22 with a Ti Arbiter 26" Rem Varmint contour barrel .260 0 POI shift from unsuppressed. Although I do think your POI shift is perfectly acceptable as long as it's repeatable.

As others have mentioned there are multiple factors at play- contour, can weight, threading and perhaps design or tolerances inside the suppressor.
</div></div>

Im glad i have your approval on my setup mav.i believe i will take surgeon and libertys desighn tolerances over yours.congratulations on your 3 click victory

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally! Got my two stamps today. 8" Krink and my Sas Ti Arbitor. Both are great. Only a .1 mil shift right from unsuppressed to suppressed. Nice and light can.

Just shy of 5 months from sending in forms to receiving stamps. </div></div>

Make that .2click victory.

You appear to have missed the point.

The quietest 308 suppressor is the one that is not used,it has 0 shift

I think you're going to find that suppressors designed for .300 win mags or for .338's will be more quiet with .308's than dedicated .308 suppressors.

I saw two different independent tests where a QSM .300 magnum suppressor and an aac 300SD produced the best overall sound reduction (bettering .308 suppressors in both tests).

The QSM suppressor was really a .338LM class product as it was a model they used for .300-50 cal with different bore sizes. The .308 has about half the powder capacity of a .338LM

Our BEAST suppressor has a bore that isn't too much larger than a .308 bore (.390 at the front cap) and I would expect it to perform very well on a .308.

There are of course a few .308 suppressors that are very high performance with ~137DB signatures at the 1M left of muzzle mil std location as well, so there is more than one way to optimize these products.

The AAC Cyclone comes to mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am guessing carbon filling the right places changing the way it disrupts the gasses in there. </div></div>

That would be a pretty good assumption. Gemtech's titanium .308 suppressor is a carefully tuned system that uses calculated porting to achieve sound performance.

If your shift has stopped occurring, the port has probably become partially or fully clogged. The question of course then is was the port necessary for sound performance, and how has sound performance changed if the porting is now clogged.

I talked to a military end user recently who mentioned his company bought 3 different brands (Surefire, Gemtech and KAC) in an effort to test and evaluate products. In discussing their perception of the various products after field testing, He mentioned (among other things) that the Gemtechs got louder with use.

Obviously the bore apertures weren't wearing out (the Gemtech baffle system is quite strong), so I leaned toward copper fouling of the ports in the baffles.

I've seen copper foul ports in significantly in devices like the M240 B flash hider, or M249 Saw muzzle compensator. So obviously its possible.

I own or have owned many different brands of suppressors and have shot about 90 percent of the 30cal cans out there. But my two Tac-Ops suppressor are noticeably quieter. My Tac-Ops 30cal titanium can is just as quiet as my Tac-Ops stainless but half the weight, best of both worlds.