• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Is This Rifle

Rodeo Trash

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Utah
I've had this rifle sitting in my safe, friend of mine left it with me because he owed me some money. Can someone tell me what it is and if the action on this thing is worth doing anything with? The previous owner cut off the rear of the butt stock and the forend is missing.
IMG_20111221_205055-1.jpg

IMG_20111221_205825.jpg

IMG_20111221_204806.jpg

Re: What Is This Rifle

Looks like an hexagonal reciever Mosin Nagant. Cut up with missing parts, it's not worth much.

At this point I'm not too worried about value but more of what it is and if the action would be any good to build something useable out of? It looks like the previous owner butchered it. Just thought it would be a fun project. Thanks!!!

Some people like to make them into a sporter type rifle. Really putting all into it will only produce an average rifle IMO. That said it can be fun just to build something and see what you come up with? Good luck what ever you decide?

My friend has one just like, not worth too much but he sure likes to shoot it. You could make a pretty good shooter out of it if you put in a ton of money into it, different stock, barrel, trigger, true the action, etc.. everything has potential. However it would be really hard to get what you put into it if you did ever try to sell it.

I wouldn't ever sell it. I was just thinking of making it more useful like you said, re barrel it, new stock, having the bolt modified ect... Can these be made to shoot pretty good with a few mods? Is the action pretty sturdy? I was watching the outdoor chanel tonight and they had a segment on old rifles so that got me to thinking about this rifle. I pulled the bolt out and accidently figured out how to take it apart to clean it. Any suggestions or info on these rifles is much appreciated.

I don't know... It's not really known for being the best action. Also, Mosin Nagants fire a rimmed round so unless you plan on reloading 7.62X54R (Because military surplus is inherently inaccurate) the modification that may be required on the bolt would concern me. I'm not a Gunsmith so I may be way off base here. Just thinking out loud... FWIW.

Thanks for your imput. I know nothing about these rifles but what I have read is they are not that accurate.

I was just thinking that with a few mods this would make for a good hunting rifle unless these actions are just plain crap. I found the after market stocks for these and they look pretty good and they are very cheep as far as price goes. I'll just keep doing my research on them to see if they are worth messing with. If I do the mods on it, could I just re chamber it to a different caliber?

I've been out of the Mosin game for a while now, but the rear sight on that tells me its not the ultra common M91/30.

Perhapes an M91? Either way I'd find exactly what it is, and the rarity of it before considering further modifications.

Thank you this helps. Mine has the SA stamped on it as well as the numbers 46000 and the year 1942. Does this help?

So it looks like it's a M91 w/ a barrel made in Belium. So the question is now that I know what it is, are these rifle rare and should I just leave it in the safe as is?

If he owes you more than $100, I'd want my money. I'd probably still want my money even if it were less.

It's been so many years ago that it's not worth worrying about.

Is the bore in good shape? If so, and it shoots OK, there are hunting loads available for that caliber. The 7.62x54R is in the same power range as the 308. Hornady lists load data for .308, .310 and the .312 bullets. Apparently, depending on country of origan, these rifles can have either a .308 or a .312 groove diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it looks like it's a M91 w/ a barrel made in Belium. So the question is now that I know what it is, are these rifle rare and should I just leave it in the safe as is?
</div></div>

If it were me, I would post some more pics over at gunboards(not the best, just all I can think of off hand), or any surplus firearm website. I think there are some forums that are for Mosin Nagants. Make sure to get pics of the front end too, and better pics of the markings on the receiver/barrel/sight area.

Sorry, I just lost a lot of interest in surplus firearms when the "cheap" interesting ones and their ammo dried up, so my knowledge is very limited.

No matter what though, it is sporterized, it looks like it's in rough shape, and its a Mosin so the value won't actually be significant. Find a correct stock for it, and it might be worth a $200-$300, or more if you're lucky and it turns out to be rare.

Numbers match?

I know this is my first post, but I will chime in, I have a couple of these rifles. They are not worth very much money at all, but man oh man are the deer killing machines. There are even a few after market upgrades that wont break your bank.