• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What is your go to knife in the field?

HTX_17

Lurker Extraordinaire
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Houston
Like the title states, I've had Boker/Buck/Spyderco/Benchmade-just seems like I keep buying a new knife every two to three years. Looking for suggestions on a skinning knife and gutting knife. Budget would be $500 total.

Thanks

Check out Gene Ingram. Makes nice knives that would fit your needs. With your budget you could probably get a set of two. I own one and his workmanship is top notch.

Though I carry a Puma sheaf knife in my ruck, (why I don't know) my go to knife is the Puma Prince folding knife. I really like the German steel in these knifes. Last fall I dressed 5 antelope without having to touch up the blade.

I fell in love with Puma's 50 years ago when I was handed one with my M60 in Vietnam to cut the gun out of wait-a-minute bushes. I passed it on to the next guy when I gave up the gun. Wished I kept it but I have 4 Puma's now. Maybe only 3, wife stole one for her kitchen. But the Prince sees the most use.

They're pretty good for checking your Blood Thinner Meds, I'll give them that.

Not for nothing but if you have not already you might want to read about blade shapes, grinds, and steel types. From there you need to ask yourself what you want it to actually do for you.

Most 'tactical' knifes that folks are walking around with either in their pocket, or in their bag are not what you are requesting.

I'd start with this simple primer: http://www.knifeart.com/bladgeomfaqb.html

Steel Types: http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Steel-Types--332

Good luck

Last edited:
Those articles were very helpful Mike_Honcho. I tend to get lost in the weeds sometimes but those are clear and concise as to what I should be looking for.

You didn't say what you hunt or where.
Think it is best to carry 2-3 cheap but good knives and then 1 really good knife.
The best combo to date for elk, deer, javelina, and bear if hunting rugged terrian with total deboning:
JAMESON 32-24J CABLE SPLICING KNIFE / SKINNING KNIFE x1 with a Speedy Sharp works wonders tearing apart joints and gutting (my father is a high voltage troubleman and has done complete elk with only one of these knives and the sharpener)
Buck 135 x2 these work great caping
Then I also carry one higher end knife for only cutting meat.

I sharpen all my blades to shaving sharp with a spyderco.

​​​

I have a bunch of different custom knives, but wanted a set of 'backcountry' knives for those hunts where ounces count. A friend of mine built this lightweight set for me out of ATS-34:
Trapper2 set.JPG
He built this wood handled one, too
IMG_1926.JPG

There are lots of great custom knife makers out there. Find one, and give 'em a shot!
Gene Ingram, Charlie May, Randall, Ruana, etc...
Or guys like my buddy...who are off the radar and build knives in their spare time for the joy of it...

Have fun with your search!

Holy crap you don't need to spend $500, that is unless you really just want to because you can! I use a case trapper and every year or two I buy a new short fish filet knife. They are around $10-15 and simply work great for skinning. Trapper for the heavier work.

Knockemdown, those look like Ryan Arrington knives.
If so, he makes some great knives. I have several of his.
I tend to carry an Gene Ingram knife because it has the neck lanyard and it is small and amazingly sharp.
I also carry an outdoor edge combo knife with me too. The OE has a gutting blade which is an amazing tool for gutting an animal or camping out an animal. The cutting edge blade is a replacement system. But the blades are big enough that you can actually resharpen them if so desired.
Another fine blade that I have used is a Silver Stag. Have completely done more than one Mule deer without having to touch up the blade.

There was a while I was really into blades. $500 for a blade is a truly huge budget. At that point your talking custom or very hi end semi custom typically with exotic material. Now I can always support someone going that direction but that's not the norm for a field knife/hunter.
The bushcraft blades with scandingrinds are not necessarily ideal for skinning. Like everything yes it will work but if you going specific that wouldn't be it. I would suggest a blade with a convex grind. It allows the blade to basically ride the bone without digging in.
I love bark river knives. Their catalogue could fill a phone book. But they definitely fit the semi custom spot.

Another would be Fällkniven. Great bang for the buck very utilitarian great steel good ergos. Check out the Fällkniven F1 or TK3 or the Idun.

ESEE knives are without question one of the best bangs for buck USA made no questions asked warranty and Jeff Randal (owner) awesome guy. The ESEE 3 would be a great choice its thinner than the others at 1/8" vs 3/16". It's made from the best carbon steel around (rowen heat treat). Also look at their camp more series again scandi grind not ideal but if you know how to sharpen putting more of a scandivex grind on it would be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have Benchmades of all manners, Helle, Hazens and a coupe others like Case/CRKT/SOG, etc and to be blatantly honest, for field dressing and skinning I use a cheap ass Outdoor Edge reversible more than anything else. It's ugly as fuck but it holds an edge as good as any $200-$250 knife I own, doesn't get slippery when there is blood on it, the gut blade works exceptional and gives leverage through the ribs with 0% chance of popping the pooch and if I lose it I won't feel like I took a kick to the sack. I like it so much I'm buying my brother one for his first hunt.

Like the title states, I've had Boker/Buck/Spyderco/Benchmade-just seems like I keep buying a new knife every two to three years. Looking for suggestions on a skinning knife and gutting knife. Budget would be $500 total.

Thanks

If I may ask, why are you buying new blades every few years? Are you wearing them out? Not holding an edge long enough?

Knockemdown, those look like Ryan Arrington knives.
If so, he makes some great knives. I have several of his.
Good eye!
That pair together, with kydex sheaths, is only like 9 oz, if I remember right? Ryan does great work!

I've had good luck so far with Survive GSO series. The 3.5 fits my hands, is very comfortable to use/control and easy to clean with the removable handles.

If I may ask, why are you buying new blades every few years? Are you wearing them out? Not holding an edge long enough?

Sure, blade usually doesn't hold an edge. Or, in the past I probably haven't purchased the right blade for the right job. With my friends, we always talk about guns or bows but never knives, so I wanted to capitalize on the Hide's collective knowledge to help me make better purchasing decisions.

Make sure you are checking your back bevel and r establishing it as needed. Helps the edge stay more effective.

Sure, blade usually doesn't hold an edge. Or, in the past I probably haven't purchased the right blade for the right job. With my friends, we always talk about guns or bows but never knives, so I wanted to capitalize on the Hide's collective knowledge to help me make better purchasing decisions.

I hear you man! Most of my buddies shoot one deer every few seasons and don't process it themselves so their 20 dollar blade does what they need end of story, no need to discuss it any further. I was having a hard time getting through the fall/winter hunting seasons with a blade so the approach I decided to take is having multiple knives, each with a specific purpose. I have a silver stag for my primary knife I carry out in the field, I have a Cub Bear by Knives of Alaska that I like for cleaning birds, a boning knife and a skinning knife also from KOA. I've been very pleased so far with all of the blades except the skinner(I'm still on the fence about that blade). The only downside to this is I have more blades to sharpen, but for me it works because I can get them to last til summer when I'm not out in the field as much and I have time to sharpen them then. Some folks I'm sure would disagree with me but so far it's been working for me.

Bark River knives, I have the bravo 1.0 and a 1.5. Two falls ago, hunting party of 3 we all got moose. I did the gutting, capping and breaking down of all 3 moose. Made it through the first and half of the second before I stropped, finished the second, stropped, and then wised up and stropped @ each quarter of the last. I usually just strop for 8-10 passes each side. We knocked down 2 on day 4 and 1 on day 5. My wife would say I like knives, I have tools. All the various brands I have had over the years, once stumbling on Bark River, here to stay, have not bought another brand since.

I love Bark River knives. Have a Gunny...its a great little knife. Would love to get a Bravo 1, but they are a bit expensive. If I see one reasonably priced, I will snap it up. I love the grind on them. So much metal behind the edge, giving it strength. Mine sits at home most of the time, or on my hip when hiking. Would like to use it on a deer, if I ever go hunting.

If you want a truly fine knife, my two go to knives are a Behring Made bird and trout and a Helle Eggen. I carry the Behring on most hunts unless I get on a kick to carry the Eggen but I tend to use the Eggen more when hunting larger animals such as bear/elk. Behring will build exactly what you want and stay under your budget, Helle is far under your budget with many good options.

Benchmac infidel, everyone know benchies are the best

Are you really using that knife to gut & skin game? I mean I could see EDC but dang... an auto opener? I need a guy as eager as you in my hunting camp to hurry up and gut deer

Reactions: Frankly
I've had good results with Boker, Ken Onion skinner, Spydies, and Cold Steel. Knives of Alaska, Gerber, etc... Lots of great knives that you don't have to spend that $500 on. Honestly, my best knives for hunting/skinning, have been some of the least expensive ones I've ever owned. But, I love a good blade so I would drop $500 on a good knife in a heartbeat just because...

I guide year-round and while I always have a few knives in my pack, 90% of the time I use a Havalon. Always razor sharp and if a blade gets dull you just throw another one on. Very few tasks I do in an animal with a regular skinning knife any more. The fine knives I've collected over the last 34 years of guiding are collecting dust (and maybe some value) in a gun safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ducksfootball82
Honestly I carry an older gerber gator for field dressing.
Easy to sharpen and holds a decent edge.
If it gets lost in the gut pile so be it. Kinda gotten used to it though.
I go to sharp filet knives for skinning.
I like a flexible blade.
Have a Parker my Father bought me years ago.
I'm saving it for the first trophy elk.
Have seen the havalons in action, have to try one.
Looking to do some skinning the first part of September, we'll see if the elk cooperate.

R

Reactions: MotorOilMcCall
Hard to beat for $9.99. We found one of these in the skinning shed at a hunting camp we bought. I bet is has cleaned 150 deer since we bought the place. Can be sharpened in a matter of a couple of stokes and less than a minute. If you drop it and it hits the concrete, guess what? they are $9.99. This is all I will ever use. I have Ingram's, Winston's, Randall's, May's and numerous others. Dexter Russels's just work!

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.restaurantsupply.com\/pub\/media\/catalog\/product\/cache\/image\/510x510\/beff4985b56e3afdbeabfc89641a4582\/p\/9\/p94825_dexterrussell-1_1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
I use a Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter. Hasnt skinned but one elk and a couple deer. Worked great, is like $85 and made in the US. Hoping to work it over some more this year!
I also carry a Benchmade mini-barrage with a D2 steel blade in my pocket for all other tasks and backup.

I have have a set of the dexters and they are whatI I use to process deer. I have been tossing around getting a havalon for field dressing. Now I just use an old browning fixed blade or a cheap Gerber folder. The best gift I ever got was a worksharp ken onion. I can bring a knife back from disaster to razor sharp quick. Convex edges are great too.

Charlie May and Gene Ingram for me. I have one of each and tend to alternate which one I carry.

Havalon Baracuta. Scalpel sharp. And if it gets dull just pull out a new blade and slap it on. Its the only way to go. And WAAAAY below your budget.

I've always got a few Ingram's with me when I'm hunting... it's just hard to choose which ones

Always have my custom Ty Adam's drop point skinner.
For fowl I use a Havalon w/ disposable scalpel blades.
Fyi You can buy 100 disposable scalpel blades, in countless blade types for about $8 on eBay or Amazon VS the $15-$18 for 12 at cabelas.

Attachments

• photo72017.jpg
    photo72017.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Bark River gets my vote. It is one of the most ergonomic knives I have ever held.

The Spyderco Para Military I found in the river two weeks ago ! Hahh ., I've got too many knives , folders and a few fixed blades . I want to make my own out of Damascus and then THAT will be my favorite !

I carry two, may seem a bit of overkill but I have been saved in the past.

KABAR in the boot (marine spec) Adonis on the belt. I’ve killed as many hogs with the KABAR as my sidearm.