• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What is your ultimate hunting knife?

Re: What is your ultimate hunting knife?

For small stuff like squirrels and rabbits I use a Gerber Vallaton, everything else i use a CRKT Kilbuck Kommer like the one you have above or an old CRKT survival knife I carry in my backpack all the time

Yes, but I am fanatical about sharpening and keep and old leather belt around to hone my edge. I sharpen all my knives before every hunting trip

Randall #1. 7" stainless, black micarta

PB090182.jpg

Kershaw's Alaskan Blade Trader has served me well so far this year. it came HIGHLY recommended from my BIL who has used one every season for the last 15 years. He said, yeah they may be cheap but when the gut hook gets dull buy a new set. He says that it takes about 3-4 elk and 4-5 deer to dull one out. and the saw blade works wonders on cutting the neck and/or pelvis. They go on sale once a year at the local True Value for right around 29.99
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0022075516112a.shtml

if you want a knive to deal with game , i dont think you could ever really beat the FALLKNIVEN range, they have there own type steel, full life guarentee,
The pro model for large game , the blade looks strange in the pics but if you get a chance to use one it will be the last one you use, the small one cant remembr the name is issuse to swedish forces,
Plus important here if you shoot on forestry comission ground the whole knive and sheath can be sterialised,
They come properly sharpened unlike a lot these days , and hold an edge .
I dont recommed much , but these are worth every penny

I really like knives that are made with S30V steel, the prices are coming down on them all the time. A buddy bought a Benchmade for like 125.00! Depends what price range you are in. Fixed blade or a folder? Jason

+1 on the Fallkniven. I don't own one but have used a hunting buddy's and it was excellent. Sliced right through central Florida wild hog like butter

My favorite has always been a Buck Vanguard. The blade is just the right length and shape for cleaning deer, and the rubber handle keeps it still in your hand while you're cleaning.

Buck Vanguard at SMKW

BU1222.jpg

That said, I was just given one of these:

Blind Horse Knives Bushcrafter

bushcrafter3a.jpg

I cleaned a deer with it over the weekend, and I kinda like it. The blade shape is more of a general purpose working knife than a skinner, but it does just fine. My only gripe was that the curly maple handle gets slick when bloody. It's kinda fun using a handmade knife, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/e/h/75/CR2760_xlarge_4195_full_75.jpg

http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/g/j/77/CR2810_xlarge_6141_full_77.jpg

I am torn between these two knives. How about show me you ultimate hunting knife and maybe a brief explanation why.

P.S. I know there is a hunting section but i felt this fit better here.</div></div>

go with the second one (blood is slippery and i would want something not so smooth)

A great knife I have carried for over 10 years is the Knives of Alaska Cub Bear. Great knife holds an edge and resharpens quick. It's small but I have cleaned and caped: whitetails, axis, fallow, bison, eland, sable, aoudad, elk, along with numerous others and it's still a great knife.

Anything with a fixed blade and a drop point. Not too schooled on metallurgy so I don't have an ideal alloy in mind. Serration is ok at the base of the blade but its a knife--not a saw. A guard for your fingers to protect yourself against injury from slippage and good texturing for a positive grip. I'm not a big fan of rubber as it tends to get gummy and when wet, slippery.

Those are the main features I look for in a hunting/field knife. I don't need a compass and a survival kit with a button, sewing needle, and fishing hook inside. I prefer subdued finishes but thats just in respect to aesthetics.

I am partial to the Kabar and the SOG Seal knives for a 'production grade' knife. Folders are ok for everyday use but I prefer the reliability of a fixed blade for field use.

Walmart fixed blade buck knife, keep it sharp it has done LOTS for me and cost less then 40 bucks

Bark river knife and tool drop point hunter. It's a copy of a loveless design and fits the hand like a glove.

Fallknivens are nice. I don't own one, but my kitchen knives are made of the same VG-10 steel. It is very corrosion resistant, takes a good edge, and retains the edge well. The main drawback is that they take a while to sharpen and because of the hardness of the steel, it is more prone to chipping.

I would get one of those and then buy a knife that is just a gut hook. A gut hook is basically a disposable knife because it is just about impossible to sharpen once it goes dull. Of course, it gets such easy duty, it will take a long time to go dull, but I just don't like the blade/ gut hook combos. Better to get a nice hunting knife that you will keep forever and a cheap gut hook.

I'm with Pat M, knives can get very slippery with blood and guts. All else being equal, get the knife you can hold on to.

I have carried a Gerber Magnum LST-Drop Point for over 15 years . My knife is so darn old it was actually made in the USA . The blade actually has a slight curve to it that I am not sure if at some point during our abusive relationship I bent it or if it just came that way . The darn thing just stays sharp forever . The Zytel grip with finger grooves is easy to hold onto even when covered in blood and is makes the knife extremely lightweight . I am sure there are 100's of knives that would be considered better but when I look at the 34 dollars I spent oh so long ago to purchase it the money seems very well spent .
http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xpage=itempage&xid=357

Bark River Knife & Tool. Can't beat Mike Stewarts work. Convex edges and A2 tool steel is hard to beat. Super sharp and so easy to sharpen. I won't be buying anything else. I sand the glossy finish off the micarta slabs for better grip when wet/bloody.

Randall #26 Pathfinder, fixed 4.5" drop point blade. Pocket sheath. I have used many others and worn out two Randalls and this one is tops. The blade is about 1/3 gone now. Sharpen on a diamond hone with a jig to preserve metal. Holds a great edge is is small and light.

http://www.dozierknives.com/k-4.html

This for whitetail, maybe up to elk. I can't control more than 3-4" of blade, and can't believe the Bowie knives some folks think are appropriate for game. Doziers have very ergonomic grips, unlike many modern knives.

My previous favorite is a 2 7/8" fat gripped number from Helle.
http://www.helleknives.com/product14.html

I like the OP's first knife better than the second, which is WAY too new wave for me. Looks uncomfortable.

My father (member of Texas Knifemakers) made it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father (member of Texas Knifemakers) made it. </div></div>

Which one?

Alright...I'll be the first to say it....CUTCO.

Never met anyone who doesn't love theirs, especially with the Double-D edge. Super sharp and stay that way for a long time, "Forever Guarantee", blaze orange handle available so you'll never lose it in the leaves, and fairly inexpensive. Plus they'll re-sharpen the Double-D edge for free.

Morseth Alaskan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: denverCO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bark River Knife & Tool. Can't beat Mike Stewarts work. Convex edges and A2 tool steel is hard to beat. Super sharp and so easy to sharpen. I won't be buying anything else. I sand the glossy finish off the micarta slabs for better grip when wet/bloody. </div></div>

try the tan burlap scales. When wet they get "grippy"

I try to stay affordable, quick and easy. I've been using a Gerber Profile (fixed blade) for about a year. Full Tang, rubber grip and a sharp blade for only about $20.00 at Wal Mart. I works great for just about every purpose.

For years, though, I have used a Shrade Skinner given to me by my dad. I've decided to retire it from use since it's about 30 yrs old and has become somewhat sentimental to me.

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

Gene Ingram is the best I have used and I have tried many.

Frog5215's second listing is a great work knife, great steel.

Your talking about dressing, right? Been using this one for ever.

Forged out of two different types of stainless. The whole unit comes apart for boiling. Fits on a belt and axe's notch locks into a brass stud in the sheath. Close up the flap and everything is held in. The kind of rig you make for yourself as there is too much work to make to sell.

Whether dressing or doing joint work, none better. Yes, the axe is thick, check out the lead grind, true symetrical convex.

HUNTING2.jpg

hunting4.jpg

Bob Dozier made the one that I carry.Mine was made from D2 steel and stays sharp a long time.They attend a few of the bigger gun shows like Tulsa and you can buy them at a nice discount. Pete

This is my new toy, a homemade 4 inch blade with black micarta handles. The blade is made of a similar steel to 420js, but cryogenic tempered. It has now 58 HRC and holds a fine edge.
As I made it myself, I'm proud how it worked out.

Her it is, my happy camper

[img:center]http://www.messerforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=79626&d=1258571738[/img]

[img:center]http://www.messerforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=79629&d=1258571738[/img]

[img:center]http://www.messerforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=79627&d=1258571738[/img]

Nutt there are a ton of choices. If you maintain them they all work. For cutting knives I'm a Bill Snow fan. I've never held a better knife. I've held plenty that I would say are similar quality but my preference is Bill because I like him.
My skinner and multipurpose dressing knife. I cleaned 8 hogs with it from tip to butt before it stopped shaving.
BILLSNOW1copy.jpg

This is my cape knife I had him make from a spike I killed with my Reeves Shadow III and my Ridgeback. She had to be put to sleep last year so this one is kinda sentimental.
BILLSNOW2copy.jpg

Picture295copy.jpg

If you want a tool that you can brake joints with, penetrates well, and will still get the rest done. I like this Reeves knife:
shadow III
It's relatively small and doesn't hold an edge like a good custom but is a great over all "tool".

FWIW,

My dad gave me a Browning Kodiak FDT,
I have skinned dozens of deer with it, sharpens easy, holds a good edge and the sawblade works great...the handle is bulky enough to not want to slip out of your hands and the whole package is light and compact enough that you don't notice having it...it really makes quick work of them...just my two cents