• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What kind of rear bag do you use, and what do you fill it with?

Back on topic
7D160506-E4C2-4D32-90B4-89D39594D80F.jpeg

lol That would be bad for Kee Kat’s ears!
😞

Kitty loves sleeping on my shooting bag and loves and usually picks the 3D bag with light fill as his preferred pillow
💪🐈‍⬛
I love my 3D too but my fat ass is too big to curl up on it.

Lucky kitty! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
I run a 3D and an ELR. Both are very good bags. I also run a Protektor leather bunny ear bag that’s sand filled.

Precision Underground all the way. The fill they use is some kind of black magic, but I think you can (could?) purchase it separately.

The ELR Mini is my go to rear bag. Small, lightweight and rock solid stable compared to any competitors in its class.

It is likely I am the odd man out here.

I tend to practice like I hunt. I go no-bag. I work on having a comfortable resting position for stability.

While I love Precision Underground for a rear bag, I also love my mini-fortune cookie for slinging over the sill of a box blind. Works wonderfully and it’s small and light enough to go in my pack.

It’s a very good product, IMO
Another vote for the Precision Underground ELR Pro.

I bought two others of their rear bags - a large and small, figuring I'd experiment to find what suited me best.

When Frank helped out with the ELR Pro, I first wondered whether it could really do anything the other two could ... lucky I decided to check, as (in practice, at least; haven't checked the actual dimensions) it's width is about the same dimension as the short, and the height is about the same as what I was using on the large ... in other words, for me, the ELR Pro replaced two bags with one. Gold!

@Baron23: I know this thread is about rear bags, and we've side-tracked it a bit with some front bags ... which Mini Fortune Cookie are you running? They're currently listing three with 'Mini' in the name: Whisky Charlie Micro Mini, Whisky Charlie Mini, and Mini DRC.

I've never found the Wiebad design appealing, but looked at them again after you mentioned its weight ... but I'm almost tempted to ignore them based on such the naming conventions.

I use the small Armageddon squishy rear bag for bench shooting. For prone shooting, I like my pint sized sticky game changer also by Armageddon.
308.jpg

Reactions: Baron23
Another vote for the Precision Underground ELR Pro.

I bought two others of their rear bags - a large and small, figuring I'd experiment to find what suited me best.

When Frank helped out with the ELR Pro, I first wondered whether it could really do anything the other two could ... lucky I decided to check, as (in practice, at least; haven't checked the actual dimensions) it's width is about the same dimension as the short, and the height is about the same as what I was using on the large ... in other words, for me, the ELR Pro replaced two bags with one. Gold!

@Baron23: I know this thread is about rear bags, and we've side-tracked it a bit with some front bags ... which Mini Fortune Cookie are you running? They're currently listing three with 'Mini' in the name: Whisky Charlie Micro Mini, Whisky Charlie Mini, and Mini DRC.

I've never found the Wiebad design appealing, but looked at them again after you mentioned its weight ... but I'm almost tempted to ignore them based on such the naming conventions.
Mini DRC

TAB Gear for me...small with the light plastic beads.

FrankenGun3.0.jpg

It's the only bag I have ever used. Works perfect so I never needed to shop around.

VooDoo

I have a bunch of bags and for the last few years have shot a PU with the ultra lite fill. After the fill disintegrated I stopped using it and just started using one of my barricade bags, a Pint size game changer with heavy fill.

Some of the best shooters in our region just take 2 game changers to a match and use them for everything. They make a great rear bag and its one less thing to have to carry around. Let some fill out and once they get broken in they work phenomenal.

I have a bunch of bags and for the last few years have shot a PU with the ultra lite fill. After the fill disintegrated I stopped using it and just started using one of my barricade bags, a Pint size game changer with heavy fill.

Some of the best shooters in our region just take 2 game changers to a match and use them for everything. They make a great rear bag and its one less thing to have to carry around. Let some fill out and once they get broken in they work phenomenal.
How are you using it as a rear? Do you lay it on its side, put the stock between the ears, use the big flat top, etc?, Photos would be even better if anyone has them

How are you using it as a rear? Do you lay it on its side, put the stock between the ears, use the big flat top, etc?, Photos would be even better if anyone has them
You grab bag, put it under stock and move it. Depends if you need lots of elevation or not. You can always ratchet the bipod up a bit if you need more.

Its a bag, you put it under and squeeze to a stable position. There is no one way to use a bag.

I enjoy using a good bag with the proper amount of fill for the job.

I have changed, mixed and made stuff up to fill bags.

Thier kind of like women when I was young, a variety is nice.

Which rear bag are you using for load development?

I need something that works perfectly for an AI AXMC in .338 LM.

Protektor Leather bags? I am not sure if this desing works with the AI-Stock?

I am currently using an Tab-Gear rear bag. It does not feel sturdy enough to give consistent results over a long period of time.

I am currently using an Tab-Gear rear bag. It does not feel sturdy enough to give consistent results over a long period of time.
Our bags were designed for this reason. A lot of bags feel unstable because the fill slips all around inside. Most people use too much cheek pressure and it makes this much worse(poa moving up and to the left on recoil). Our fill locks together so it greatly adds to the stability(imagine how damp sand would feel inside a bag).

While it's best to use your body as the main source of stability in a shooting position, especially on a 338, reality is that most people are planting the stock into the bag and using it as the main driver of the rifle. Our bags will make this much easier but the fill is harder to squeeze when compacted so it will naturally lead you to get the rifle in your shoulder a little more when making adjustments. Guys are used to just squeezing the bag to aim the rifle but if you're shooting like this you aren't on a true NPA. Yes you can learn to shoot OK this way but you'll have a really hard time controlling any amount of recoil. So our fill will support the rifle much better but will also point you in the right direction of getting on a true NPA. A true NPA is absolutely critical with a 338. You can get away with a lot when you're on a 6mm-.308 with a good brake. The 338 will expose your weaknesses. Learn to shoot it with a brake and then take the brake off and keep going.

I was weaned on sand / pea chick rock in my OD duty socks, still my favorite. Don't do competition applications. For a long time now I use small polymer beads for fill, sand get's wet etc, and it's a new mess. A Wiebad bag is used from time to time.
DSCN2951 copy 2.JPG
IMG_2009.jpg
IMG_2010.jpg
IMG_9024 copy.jpg
IMG_9025 copy.jpg

This thread got me off my azz and finally bought a rear bag. Bought a Precision Underground ELR Pro yesterday. The bag I currenly own is garbage so really looking forward to the PU based on recommendations from here.

Reactions: Average guy
Precision Underground bags are damn nice. You won’t be disappointed

Reactions: sleev-les
Someone said that rear bags are a crutch. If you are practicing with a rear bag, but will not be employing one when 'the rubber meets the road' then they are a crutch. But, if you will be using a rear bag 'for real' then it is just another tool in the kit. Until recently I have been using a fortune cookie as a do it all bag for comp use. But, I recently bought a sticky pint size game changer and am working with that now. I don't use it as a 'bunny ear' bag, instead turning it on its side or standing it on end depending on how much elevation I need. It is pretty plump as it ships from Armageddon gear, and I may need to drop a bit of sand out of it, but I want to take it to a comp as is before making that call.

I don't use a rear bag while hunting- as there is no place to put one in my blind- and the windows are too narrow for a front bag. But I do employ a pump pillow to take up the space between my arm and hip while on the gun. Some may say that is a crutch too, but I just call it a tool in the kit. And, it makes a pretty decent pillow for a mid afternoon nap. (Why is it so easy to sleep in a blind?)

It's good enough to practice tripod shooting 100-500M off an old Manfrotto ball head with a 16" especially considering the vertical spread just due to shot-to-shot muzzle velocity variance alone @ 500 meters! Found these:
IMG_3286 copy.JPG
IMG_3292 copy.JPG
IMG_3296 copy.JPG
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 7.17.43 PM.png

Last edited:

338 edge and my beloved PU mini ELR bag.
Mix it with an adjustable bag rider and a good bipod and you have bench stability out in the field.

FB7A1F55-1AE5-42D8-8418-A262A06536FC.jpeg

Looking to replace this guy. I’ve had it for years and it’s an awesome travel pillow… it’s a so-so rear bag for me. Measures like 8.5x6x3” or so, weighs next to nothing. The 6” side tends to be a little short, the 8.5” side is pretty well always too high. Running the 6” side requires me to hold consistent tension on the bag (I.e. the bag doesn’t ”lock”), which I suck at. I tried an Armageddon Python - similar form factor, definitely easier to shoot, but still a little on the short side. The question is… best PU bag to replace this one?
35111819-E7A1-45D9-B74B-D50BFD0EE4E8.jpeg

Looking to replace this guy. I’ve had it for years and it’s an awesome travel pillow… it’s a so-so rear bag for me. Measures like 8.5x6x3” or so, weighs next to nothing. The 6” side tends to be a little short, the 8.5” side is pretty well always too high. Running the 6” side requires me to hold consistent tension on the bag (I.e. the bag doesn’t ”lock”), which I suck at. I tried an Armageddon Python - similar form factor, definitely easier to shoot, but still a little on the short side. The question is… best PU bag to replace this one?
View attachment 7881127
That dude looks pretty tired! The 3D ELR is definitely the most comparable thing we have to that. If you want it to be light there is a lightweight option. I prefer the standard fill but if you need to save weight the lightweight fill works really well too. Both fills lock in tight and are really stable.

Reactions: DJL2
That dude looks pretty tired! The 3D ELR is definitely the most comparable thing we have to that. If you want it to be light there is a lightweight option. I prefer the standard fill but if you need to save weight the lightweight fill works really well too. Both fills lock in tight and are really stable.
Thanks. I think I’ll get the 3D ELR and the ELR Pro. Should cover me no matter how I’m shooting or where my support hand is.

It’s 1 inch bigger all the way around. Makes it a way more versatile bag.
Is the u shape on the bottom larger or same size? I’m hoping it’s slightly larger than the schmedium, I think it would form to things a bit better.

Hey! I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd chime in. When it comes to rear bags, leather ones are my go-to. They're not only stylish but also super durable. I recently got one from Von Baer, and it's been amazing. You can check them out at https://vonbaer.com/ if you're interested. As for what to carry, I usually have my laptop, notebook, and some snacks for those long days. But the cool thing about rear bags is that you can personalize them to fit your own needs. So, feel free to explore different options until you find the perfect one for you.
Hello fellow gun enthusiast…

If this is the best that AI can do, I’m not scared of Skynet…