• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What kind of spider is this?

Srgt. Hulka

Lighten Up Francis
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2014
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I’ve googled, and my wife has googled it, and we can’t find it. We came across one picture of it with no identification with it.
    This is a spider I found in my Mother in Law’s shed. This is a shed we will be doing a major clean out in the near future. Just trying to figure out what we’ll be up against. 😄 I don’t think it’s venomous, but just want to be sure.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

051B3956-4E55-4AC9-AD96-75C6FA8427AC.jpeg
    5D1FD9C4-BD52-436D-B830-4E6498793642.jpeg

I think all (or most?) spiders are venomous. Only two around here that are dangerous are black widows and brown recluse.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    I think all (or most?) spiders are venomous. Only two around here that are dangerous are black widows and brown recluse.
    Yes, and this one is neither of those, so you're going to have to do better than that to get out of cleaning out that shed for Maw-In-Law.

Reactions: Aftermath
    Pretty sure it’s just a black house spider.

That is a Southern House Spider. Not extremely dangerous.

Yep. I think you guys are right. I don't know why Google didn't show it in any of my searches for spiders in Louisiana.
    Thanks guy.

Although I really like this solution. :ROFLMAO:

Is this what you call a major clean out, because I feel like it’s your only option.View attachment 7555081

I’ve googled, and my wife has googled it, and we can’t find it. We came across one picture of it with no identification with it.
    This is a spider I found in my Mother in Law’s shed. This is a shed we will be doing a major clean out in the near future. Just trying to figure out what we’ll be up against. 😄 I don’t think it’s venomous, but just want to be sure.
    Thanks.

View attachment 7555079View attachment 7555080

Here...
    Salvage is no longer an option.

Seen those across the usa. So cal to iowa to florida. Always find them in moist areas. Pretty damn harmless and not aggressive at all. Only seen them outside under plywood or rocks. They usually wince if you bother them, kinda tuck their legs in and try to be as unagressive as possible.

Seen those across the usa. So cal to iowa to florida. Always find them in moist areas. Pretty damn harmless and not aggressive at all. Only seen them outside under plywood or rocks. They usually wince if you bother them, kinda tuck their legs in and try to be as unagressive as possible.

Like this.
    E4084954-682A-4567-94E1-BB6B37FE60A1.jpeg

Reactions: Jgunner
    It’s a killit spider. All spiders are killit spiders.

On my monitor it looks like it’s a tarantula. So it’s a tarantula. And I need a new monitor.
    I kill black widows (always under stock tanks). Would kill a brown recluse if I see one. Other than that, spiders are beneficial and cool little critters. They are more useful than most people.

Go to Lowe's and get a three can pack of spider bombs, set two off in the shed then later do it again problem gone I'm sure
    I do that now and then in the basement and don't have many insects in the house at all any more.
    READ DIRECTIONS though

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    You really have a fairly simple problem.

The situation =
    1. You have to clean up the Mother-in-Law's shed.
    2. You found a spider.
    3. All of the experts on Sniper's Hide (a world renowned spider identification resource on the internet) identified the spider as a "Black House Spider".

Your course of action =
    1. Inform your Mother-in-Law on the success of your quest.
    2. Tell her you have to move the Black House Spider from the shed into the house.
    3. Ask her if she still wants you to clean her shed.

Probably outcome =
    1. You will not have to clean the shed.
    2. You will not have to touch the spider.
    3. You will not have to decide what to get your Mother-in-Law for Christmas this year.

Last edited:
    22 lr hp minimum, maybe 9mm # 4 snake shot. carapace might be impervious to # 9's. .410 7-1/2's in a pinch.
    Proper ID of spiders is method of kill.

You really have a fairly simple problem.

The situation =
    1. You have to clean up the Mother-in-Law's shed.
    2. You found a spider.
    3. All of the experts on Sniper's Hide (a world renowned spider identification resource on the internet) identified the spider as a "Black House Spider".

Your course of action =
    1. Inform your Mother-in-Law on the success of your quest.
    2. Tell he you have to move the Black House Spider from the shed into the house.
    3. Ask her if she still wants you to clean her shed.

Probably outcome =
    1. You will not have to clean the shed.
    2. You will not have to touch the spider.
    3. You will not have to decide what to get your Mother-in-Law for Christmas this year.

I told my wife this would be the best place to ask. To hell with LSU At Center. 😆

Reactions: Barneybdb
    I kill black widows (always under stock tanks). Would kill a brown recluse if I see one. Other than that, spiders are beneficial and cool little critters. They are more useful than most people.
    I lost a toe, due to a Brown Recluse. Not native to Wisc., but, I have an outfit that produces fire trucks on the backside of my property and it must have come in on a shipment of some kind, because, that little F'er got into my basement, got in my boot, and I wore him around for the day, smashed inside (dug him out and put him in a bottle for the doc). Didn't even feel the bite. Foot swelled by day two, went to the doc, got antibiotics, didn't help, week later, in hospital and had surgery. I really hate F'n spiders now, I kill all that I see or have contact with. Mac:mad:

I lost a toe, due to a Brown Recluse. Not native to Wisc., but, I have an outfit that produces fire trucks on the backside of my property and it must have come in on a shipment of some kind, because, that little F'er got into my basement, got in my boot, and I wore him around for the day, smashed inside (dug him out and put him in a bottle for the doc). Didn't even feel the bite. Foot swelled by day two, went to the doc, got antibiotics, didn't help, week later, in hospital and had surgery. I really hate F'n spiders now, I kill all that I see or have contact with. Mac:mad:

This^^^^^this right here^^^^^
    Spiders eye me like a fat kid eyes a penny candy store.
    I've been bit by black Widow three times and various others that folks tell you are "harmless house spiders"
    One of them shiny red orb weavers got in my shirt one morning when I got dressed for work. I was halfway to work and my chest started burning and itching. I had no dome light, so when I finally caught her in my shirt, I just kept her pinched till I got to work.
    I rolled her out of my shirt in the light, problem solved. Unfortunately she had "tasted" me in about 5 places accross my chest. Burned and it he'd like hell for 2 hours.

Damn a spider. Kill them with fire.
    Jumping spiders are cool. I leave them alone.

My mom was bitten by a brown recluse. Had a hard time getting over the bite so the doc ran a bunch of tests. Cancer. Spider saved her life.

Flea bomb the shed a couple days prior to cleanout. No more spiders.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    I got bit by a brown recluse just above my ankle in high school. Lost a pretty big chunk of my leg and the wound didn't go away for months. Now its just a big divot that you wouldn't recognize unless I told you it was there. 1/10 would not recommend.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    This^^^^^this right here^^^^^
    Spiders eye me like a fat kid eyes a penny candy store.
    I've been bit by black Widow three times and various others that folks tell you are "harmless house spiders"
    One of them shiny red orb weavers got in my shirt one morning when I got dressed for work. I was halfway to work and my chest started burning and itching. I had no dome light, so when I finally caught her in my shirt, I just kept her pinched till I got to work.
    I rolled her out of my shirt in the light, problem solved. Unfortunately she had "tasted" me in about 5 places accross my chest. Burned and it he'd like hell for 2 hours.

Damn a spider. Kill them with fire.
    Jumping spiders are cool. I leave them alone.
    Where do you hang out bro? That’s a lot of spider bites.

Thanks.

View attachment 7555079View attachment 7555080
    What kind of spider? It would definitely be a dead one if found in my house! LOL

Where do you hang out bro? That’s a lot of spider bites.

I worked in the water and wastewater industry for 33 years. I saw BW spiders on a biweekly basis on average.
    I have cleaned buildings with pressure washer, and had to dodge spiders falling out of the ceiling like 8mm bullets on Omaha Beach. They are usually the brown Widow variety though.
    The last Widow bite she got me like that on the back of my neck. Slapped her and grabbed her. Guy I worked with got all excited. I told him that was #3 in my lifetime. #2 wasn't as bad as #1 so I figured I could stay at work, and did. Didnt get nauseous or a belly ache that last time. Burned like fire at the bite though and a bit tender to the touch. I was fine in about 3 or 4 hours.

I worked in the water and wastewater industry for 33 years. I saw BW spiders on a biweekly basis on average.
    I have cleaned buildings with pressure washer, and had to dodge spiders falling out of the ceiling like 8mm bullets on Omaha Beach. They are usually the brown Widow variety though.
    The last Widow bite she got me like that on the back of my neck. Slapped her and grabbed her. Guy I worked with got all excited. I told him that was #3 in my lifetime. #2 wasn't as bad as #1 so I figured I could stay at work, and did. Didnt get nauseous or a belly ache that last time. Burned like fire at the bite though and a bit tender to the touch. I was fine in about 3 or 4 hours.
    Good grief. Hats off to you sir.

• Haha
    Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
    brown recluse!

i lived in an area of wales that was "historically protected" or something, meaning you could not have screens on your windows or doors.
    this meant living among all sorts of crawling and flying critters, some you could ignore, and some that were harder to ignore.
    hearing a spider land on your pillow at night is sort of interesting.

• Wow
    Reactions: 10ring'r