• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What kind of supressor to get for LE SWAT Team

leprechaun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2007
Our Team is looking at getting Suppressors for our long guns. Most are AR's with a couple of mp's still left and of course the 7.62 bolt guns.

While I know this is subjective,my question is what type and manufacturer is your recommendation and why.No one on our Team has any experience with them so any help is much appreciated.

My main concern is poa/poi shift i.e. repeatability.

Length,weight,removal and installation are also concerns.

Re: What kind of supressor to get for LE SWAT Team

the aac cans with the miter mount. if the poi is off you can turn the can to different notches on the mount to adjust it. the one i saw started about 2moa off and he got it almost deadon with the mount, way closer than any other can ive seen. or the new gemtech for 30 cal is so light there is minimal change in poi, havnt seen this one for myself but i will next week at the silencershoot! ill let you know

POI shift is caused by non- concentric threading. You can use any decent can w/o POI shift if the threading is perfect. But that is only going to happen when you start from a barrel blank and thread centered on the bore. The miter system is the best choice for an existing rifle.

I am a AAC Scar fan. They really are an amazing suppressor. Quick connenct and POI shift adjustable. Thats what I am going to buy one of these days. -Brandon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POI shift is caused by non- concentric threading. You can use any decent can w/o POI shift if the threading is perfect. But that is only going to happen when you start from a barrel blank and thread centered on the bore. The miter system is the best choice for an existing rifle. </div></div>
There must be alot of "non concentric" threaded barrels out there!
grin.gif
If POI shift is your primary concern; I would look in to Surefires.

If you only shoot Suppressed its not an issue! :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POI shift is caused by non- concentric threading. You can use any decent can w/o POI shift if the threading is perfect.</div></div>

ONE OF THE CAUSES. THERE ARE SEVERAL.

5.56:
AAC SPR/M4 if you have barrels over 12.5" (or 11.5 with small gas blocks)
AAC M4-2000 for barrels under 11.5"

7.62:
AAC 7.62SD or SCAR-H for AR-10s
AAC Cyclone for bolt guns

I'm not a huge AAC fanboy (I do own one AAC can but multiple non-AAC cans) but their rifle silencers are miles ahead of everything else I've tried in most ways.

If you have a lot of AR's you might look at the Gemtech HALO suppressor(full auto rating). It will fit right onto the standard A2 flashider(plus a peel washer instead of a crush) not to bad on the department budget as well. Really easy to take on and off quickly. No point of impact change that you will notice, I have tested this beyond 400yrds...nothing you'll notice running a aimpoint/eotech/trijicon. Just my $.02

I'll throw this out there for you as something else to consider. I have an AAC 7.62 that I shoot off of my 308 bolt gun 99% of the time but can also use it on my .223 ar15. With the AAC 7.62 you can get a qd mount that will fit the AR15 and allow you to run the 7.62 suppressor on a .223/5.56 AR or .308 for that matter. I also have a AAC spr/m4 for my ARs but in your case the 7.62 could be used for multiple weapons if needed with the correct mounts. Having 1 suppressor that will work on 7.62 and 5.56 may allow your department to save on the quantity of suppressors they need if there is a budget crunch etc... Im sure that other suppressors are capable of doing the same thing, but I can only speak for the ones that I own and have experience with. One thing beneficial to the 7.62 vs my spr/m4 is I can use it on a 10.5" barrel AR15 where as my spr/m4 wont work due to the back over the barrel design. As far as POI I'll keep my mouth shut as I am no expert. I saw minimal on my bolt gun but there was some shift. Hope this helps

agree with turk!

I have a Surefire 7.62SS and it makes my M-40A3 more accuate with the Black Hills 175 use. POI is the same. 30FPS faster.

I have an SR-25 with a Surefire adapter (Brake) and I am .500" to the right of zero at 100 Yards.

My custom AR wears a Surrefire Brake, and it is like my bolt gun,, more accurate with 69G Sierra handloads.

If you can only budget for one can get a Surefire, and use it for everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POI shift is caused by non- concentric threading. You can use any decent can w/o POI shift if the threading is perfect. But that is only going to happen when you start from a barrel blank and thread centered on the bore. The miter system is the best choice for an existing rifle. </div></div>

Bull shit.

REF the AAC M.I.T.E.R. system:

How many of you own and shoot this?

How many of you can get yours to actually lock up tight on all 5 positions without being loose?

When locked into one of the positions that result in a loose fit, how many of you experience a good bit of gas leak to the rear (as in on your scope objective)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">REF the AAC M.I.T.E.R. system:

How many of you own and shoot this?

How many of you can get yours to actually lock up tight on all 5 positions without being loose?

When locked into one of the positions that result in a loose fit, how many of you experience a good bit of gas leak to the rear (as in on your scope objective)? </div></div>

Terry, that is one complaint of the MITER system. Not all positions lock up tight and they do leak in some of them.

Thats why I personally prefer a screw on for a bolt gun.

I use an AWC Thundertrap and have zero issues recommending it...however I had a CT Swat guy come by the house and shoot some sub loads in the backyard and he brought his FN SPR with an OPS Inc can on. These guys leave the can on all the time...with a 2 point mounting system the Ops Inc has some distinct advantages and is worth a look...the YHM 30 can is also worth a look...

Not that my opinion means a hill of beans compared to what anyone else says, but i'd listen to Boltripper and Terry Cross. They know of what they speak. I'm sure Terry gets real busy, but he never told me call back later or whatever...so i'd do just what Bolt said. Duke.

Terry, I'd like to ask (since I hit the CLEO up last weekend for a signature and he said he'd do it
laugh.gif
)....

Who's cans do YOU like?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POI shift is caused by non- concentric threading. You can use any decent can w/o POI shift if the threading is perfect. But that is only going to happen when you start from a barrel blank and thread centered on the bore. The miter system is the best choice for an existing rifle. </div></div>

Bull shit. </div></div>

You know, after I went back and re-read what I posted above and then the questions I posed right after that, I can see how some may take it that I was strictly bashing the MITER system.

That is not true. The AAC M.I.T.E.R. system is a good idea, it just needs to be redesigned and refined to properly and uniformly work. Until then the currently executed version has issues.

The main thing I was calling B.S. on in my original post was gaws thoughts on POI shift vs. threading.

I would have just went back and trimmed down what I quoted from his post to clarify but figured few would be re-reading my trash earlier in this thread and wouldn't catch my clarification.

Thanks,
Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our Team is looking at getting Suppressors for our long guns. Most are AR's with a couple of mp's still left and of course the 7.62 bolt guns.

While I know this is subjective,my question is what type and manufacturer is your recommendation and why.No one on our Team has any experience with them so any help is much appreciated.

My main concern is poa/poi shift i.e. repeatability.

Length,weight,removal and installation are also concerns.
</div></div>

I had several of the same concerns (length, weight, mounting options, and point of impact shift) when purchasing a suppressor for a SBR that I used at work.

Hopefully you'll find this info useful:

icon-ar15-suppressor-selection.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">03designgroup</span> | <span style="font-weight: bold">AR15 Sound Suppressor Selection </span>