• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What knife would you recommend

Timo Turl

Minuteman
May 24, 2010
I'm looking to buy my first high quality knife and would be grateful for your suggestions. Ideally, it would be a small pocket-type knife with a sub 3" blade and would not be assisted opening (NYC
mad.gif
). I'm not price sensitive, i want to buy something high quality that i can just stick in my pocket each day and rely on it for years. Thanks !

Re: What knife would you recommend

I know probably you want the shorter blade for the sub 3" laws, but are you also looking for a shorter handle too or full size?

Emerson CQC-14 with the Wave is a very nice blade if you don't mind the full size handle, and the Wave is even faster than any assisted opening device out there. The Benchmade Sibert 755 is another very nice knife and the M390 steel it has is outstanding.

Samller handle would be better just for convenience of carry.

I'm looking for the same thing. I came across the Tops/Buck CSAR-T at SHOT and really liked it. It felt good in my hand, wasn't too big, and was solid as hell. You can get it for less than $100 with the G10 grips on amazon. It is worth a look.

if you don't "need" the tacticool clips, assisted lightening speed opening, velcro morale patch attachment, multi tool magazine pouch and custom tiger stripe paint, then look at a good old folding Buck pocket knife. Old fashioned, but still around - that says something. It will last forever - literally. If you do happen to break it, they replace the blade.

Do you have a generic price range. If price is not really an issue get a small Sebenza. There are hundreds of other great knives ranging from $40 to $500 and up. Kershaw makes great low cost knives. Benchmade makes a fantastic knife. Kershaw and Benchmade both have a fantastic warranty. Spyderco also makes a pretty good knife. I've tried Emerson knives, but IMO they just cost way more then you get.

^^^ i field dressed many game with this from elk to antelope great little knife i have no idea what happend to my knives i buy one and have it for about year and then it gone mush be the same place the socks go

Smith & Wesson Border Guard

Best 20 bucks I've spent in a while. Kinda hard to see, but the right side has a pointed end which is surprisingly strong and useful.

I have the last one, drop point/serrated.

t3.jpg

Thx for some great suggestions, i appreciate them

Spyderco Tenacious. Sharp as hell and probably the best $30 I have spent in a long time.

Spyderco is a great knife, but I absolutely love my Benchmade. I bought it and it was instant love.

cheap = mini grip
moderate = ritter mini grip
expensive = small sebie

i have several grips...a ritter grip coming tomorrow (cuscadi scales are on order as well
smile.gif
) and dream of a sebie...but just can't ever seem to justify the cost, but i will...dammit!

but honestly, the grip series is hard to beat. the regular ones come with 154cm in several blade profiles....i'm daily carrying a 555 right now... the ritter grips come with s30v...a hard to beat steel for an edc

the sebie...well it's just perfection

Mini-Grip(500 series or Ritter depending on if you are cool with 154CM or if you want to move up to S30V) or 707 (a fancy mini-grip). Axis lock is great and has good steel.

Edit..

I'm throwing in two other knives now that I've slept and had a cup of coffee. I prefer to get a knife based on blade steel more than anything else.. as that is really the only important part of a knife.. (you can argue ergos, but that's more for a hard use fixed blade)

1. Syderco Native - S30V and about $60. Tough but lightweight.

2. Buck Vantage Pro - S30V and has a less tactical look for $60. Note on this one.. I've never owned but lots of guys like it, it's a blind suggestion which I usually don't do, so take it with a grain of salt.

I like Cold Steel knives. Very sharp and hold an edge. I skinned out 2 hogs with mine and helped with 2 more, and the edge was just ad sharp afterwards as when I started. Great knife for around $100.00 range.

The CRKT Eros looks like a very fine EDC. Titanium handles, ken onion blade design, very small profile would disappear nicely in your pocket.
crkteros.jpg

cost is about $133 delivered.

I believe this is an assisted opener so it may not be an option for the OP (New York and all!)

Benchmadept make a few good knives that fit what you need

google ken onion kershaw..

find the knife that suits your needs... super fast opening and super thin.....

i still say a ritter grip.....i just got mine in the mail today, LOVE IT!

i do have some Cuscadi scales on the way, though....and that'll really put this knife out of the park, i can't wait!

4c15dd25.jpg

In an open price range, I would go Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. Very nice pocket knife.

Actually have one brand new in the box TJ, if you are interested.

I have a Microtech Mini-SOCOM (M/A) that was a great EDC until I realized that I actually prefer a larger blade. My current EDC is a Benchmade 520 that the factory engraved for me. The Axis lock is really the cats ass.

Benchmade Griptilian, carry one every day. Great quality, very durable and doesnt hurt the bank. I have other high end knives but dont want to risk losing them.

I would highly recomend a Buck. Look around. I love all of them. I get a knew knife around every year until i found mine. Its a great knife. It is highly durable and sharpens extremely easily. They carry spring assisted, manual, roll opens and anything else. Check in any major knife dealer. I get mine at smokey mountain knife works in seveirville tennessee. Just outside of knoxville.

Here are my EDC's. Top to bottom:

2012-01-02175713.jpg

Strider SMF
Hinderer XM-18 3.5 inch slicer grind
Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21
Emerson Super CQC-7
Spyderco Military

Never carried the CRK, superbly built knife but I prefer a larger blade. For the money, you can't beat the Spydie, but the top 3 knives are better built, smoother, more centered, etc. I really like the Hinderer the best, but for the $875 I paid for it, I definitely don't think it is twice the blade the Strider is. But all of these are over 3" except the CRK. The Strider PT I don't like the lines of in that size, and the 3" XM is rare and too expensive. I think the CRK Small Sebenza is where its at for your needs.

I have owned two CRKT knives. I use them on duty and never had a problem. They are reasonably priced and offer folding and fixed blade. They have held their edge very well.

Emerson is a great line of knives to look at. The Wave feature works well and is simple. You can get it with or without.
Whatever knife you choose I suggest you consider the type of steel the blade is made out of. The 154CM that Emerson uses will hold an edge quite well. Avoid anything with the lower end 440 steels.

Benchmade Griptilian ive had it for 3 years now it made it through 2 years of landscaping its the first knife that made it past 18month and a year of odd jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are my EDC's. Top to bottom:

2012-01-02175713.jpg

Strider SMF
Hinderer XM-18 3.5 inch slicer grind
Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21
Emerson Super CQC-7
Spyderco Military

Never carried the CRK, superbly built knife but I prefer a larger blade. For the money, you can't beat the Spydie, but the top 3 knives are better built, smoother, more centered, etc. I really like the Hinderer the best, but for the $875 I paid for it, I definitely don't think it is twice the blade the Strider is. But all of these are over 3" except the CRK. The Strider PT I don't like the lines of in that size, and the 3" XM is rare and too expensive. I think the CRK Small Sebenza is where its at for your needs. </div></div>

WHAT? No PMII?
smile.gif

Lots of options, I second the CRKT for their quality. I know the "drifter" is under 3". Or, the M21 Aluminum is right at 3"

BC

Another vote for the Doug Ritter mini. It's what in my pocket right now. The blade is just the right length and thickness for daily jobs and the SV 30 is one heck of a good steel. The Al Mar Hawk ultralight is great knife too. The only problem with it is the blade is a little thin so using it to pry with at all would not be a good idea, but it less than an 1 oz. so there is some compromise.

Zero tolerance (Period) It's not a knife, it's a tool. A bit on the "heavy" side according to some but rock solid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Benchmade Sibert 755 is another very nice knife and the M390 steel it has is outstanding </div></div>
+1 I have several benchmades in my rotation along with some Spyderco's and occasionally a Kershaw gets pocket time. Id say find a model in either a BM or Spyderco that you like and go with it. A couple off the top of my head the BM 707 is a nice smaller knife the 755 is nice although it is thicker than some like, Spyderco Delicas come in lots of cool colors and are an excellent buy for the money you could get a couple different ones around $60 each. And although I haven't owned any yet if your looking for a super tough knife get a Emerson or Strider be prepared to pay for it though they dont come cheap. Just my $.02 hope it helps

I like the Benchmade knives for all day everyday in the pocket.

SOG and Cold Steel make some good knives at a decent price. Gerber and Kershaw are decent at a lighter price.

Can only speak for Gerbers customer service, but it is good. This Gerber fast draw I have has broken a few times. (broke clip, assisted open, blade lock) over the last 4 years. Everytime I mail it back and they send me a new one for free.

Benchmade AFO II and don't look back. Best carry knife I have come across. Beat the hell outta it and when it needs sharpening send it in and have em sharpen it. Very well built. Gets my vote!

I carry a Benchmade mini griptilian for my everyday pocket knife. Great little knife and will field dress a deer in a pinch if you leave your other knife back at the stand. I think they usually run about $80 and are as good of a knife as you will get for under $100.

+1 On the Griptilians I forgot about those I dont have any but really like them and have been meaning to get one or two. Heres a link for you all to a guy I found on ebay that has pretty much the best pricing on Benchmades I'v found when purchasing new.

http://myworld.ebay.com/knivesflacowboy/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

His listings say something like make offer I think you'll find it worth your time and it is. He told me how the system works you take the price deduct 20% off that price then add $5 and thats the cheapest the automatic thing is set for to accept on offers made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i still say a ritter grip.....i just got mine in the mail today, LOVE IT!

i do have some Cuscadi scales on the way, though....and that'll really put this knife out of the park, i can't wait!

4c15dd25.jpg
</div></div>

I've got a similar Benchmade and I love it. It's never let me down yet and its nice and lightweight but also sturdy.

i picked up a cheap Mtech the other day. Could not be happier with it. full tang fixed blade, digi desert camo hand grips. blade is about 3.5" total length is about 7"

My bro in law forges knives, i have been meaning to get him to let me forge my own but everyone is always so busy.

Love all my Benchmade knives and am a big Case fan. I am lucky enough to live in Oregon with their lax knife laws so I have and carry many that a lot of you cannot easily get a hold of.

As you can tell from all the posts, there are lots of good knife makers to choose from today, as well as lots of good steels and designs. The best advice I can give you is to decide what your primary uses would be and select your criteria accordingly. When I really need a knife, I don't always have 2 hands available to open it. For that reason I really like my Spyderco with the Emerson opener. Is a well designed single hand opening blade that is faster than any switchblade. It works for me, but may not be the best choice for you. As long as you stay with any of the quality knife makers you will be assured of a quality product. One final word of advice, check out the warranty at A.G. Russell before you buy.

Dennis