• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Kowa spotter

Beeckie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2017
Ok after reading a lot of posts on the forum I've narrowed my choice down to a Kowa spotter.
It's intended use is steel out to 1450 and paper out to 400.
I'm unable to test them locally to do a real life comparison before I put down the cash. So are there people who can enlighten me between the
663 / 773 / 883 for my intended use?

The 883 and 773 use the TE11WZ eyepiece vs the 663 which uses the TE9Z eyepiece. The TE11WZ is a much higher quality eyepiece.
The 883 have pure florite optics (same as in their 553) which is the highest quality optic available. This makes it superior to the 773. The b883 has a $400.00 instant rebate on it thru June 15th making it a great dal.
Please give us a call to discuss these scopes and what we can do for you on one.
Have a great day
Doug
516-217-1000

I have the 663 Prominar with the 25X LER and have looked through other guys' 77 and 88mm Kowas. At least with NRA midrange and Longrange F-class events, there really is no shortcomings with choosing the 663.

If you use eye pro and don't want to lift them to use the eyepiece, consider the TE-17HD 25x LER eyepiece combined with the TSN-EX16 extender. I use that setup with my 883 to get 40x and the long eye relief for use with my eye pro. However it adds to the expense.

The 883 and 773 use the TE11WZ eyepiece vs the 663 which uses the TE9Z eyepiece. The TE11WZ is a much higher quality eyepiece.
The 883 have pure florite optics (same as in their 553) which is the highest quality optic available. This makes it superior to the 773. The b883 has a $400.00 instant rebate on it thru June 15th making it a great dal.
Please give us a call to discuss these scopes and what we can do for you on one.
Have a great day
Doug
516-217-1000

Is Kowa offering spotters with a mil reticle yet?

John

Kowa is an anti blood sport company which is why, even though they make the worlds finest spotting scopes and their Genesis binoculars compete with the best binoculars made they do not, nor do I think they ever will, offer riflescopes or reticle eyepieces for their spotters. They only recently expanded their marketing outside of the birding community to the hunting world.

Kowa is an anti blood sport company which is why, even though they make the worlds finest spotting scopes and their Genesis binoculars compete with the best binoculars made they do not, nor do I think they ever will, offer riflescopes or reticle eyepieces for their spotters. They only recently expanded their marketing outside of the birding community to the hunting world.

That is interesting

Being that is the case, I wonder why another company has not offered a compatible eyepiece with a reticle. I would assume that a spotter scope would integrate the reticle within the eyepiece which is different than a riflescope

That is interesting

Being that is the case, I wonder why another company has not offered a compatible eyepiece with a reticle. I would assume that a spotter scope would integrate the reticle within the eyepiece which is different than a riflescope

Was thinking the same thing. And since when is PRS/NRL a blood sport?

John

Was thinking the same thing. And since when is PRS/NRL a blood sport?

John

The Japanese have a strange perspective on things. When I worked for Raytheon many moons ago, we were working on a new high frequency RADAR transmitter and we were working with Toshiba in Japan as they were the only ones that had the transistor technology necessary for it to work. We had to sign a shit ton of paperwork that this would only be used in DEFENSIVE applications. Meaning it could not be used in a role of offense. Meaning that we couldn't package this transmitter in the nose cone of a missile.

Reactions: Elkkhunter
The Japanese have a strange perspective on things. When I worked for Raytheon many moons ago, we were working on a new high frequency RADAR transmitter and we were working with Toshiba in Japan as they were the only ones that had the transistor technology necessary for it to work. We had to sign a shit ton of paperwork that this would only be used in DEFENSIVE applications. Meaning it could not be used in a role of offense. Meaning that we couldn't package this transmitter in the nose cone of a missile.

Their Constitution we wrote probably requires that.

I note lately they are a little bit more in touch with rethinking this.

I run an 883 with a TE11WZ and the TSN-EX16 1.6x extender. I went with the 88mm objective for better light transmission in shitty light conditions in coastal WA state through the EX16 and couldn't be happier. I can reliably see .223 holes in paper out to 500 yards before mirage kicks up - haven't had the chance to check on paper beyond that.

Definitely check with Doug at Cameraland if you're looking to purchase. Would have saved me over $600 on the setup I bought elsewhere in January.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Recently I purchased from Doug at CameraLand the Kowa 883 with the TE11WZ eyepiece, TSN-EX16 1.6X extender, and the IPhone 5S / SE phone holder. Took advantage if the Kowa instant rebate, plus Doug threw in some extra holiday cash off since I called him the day after the holiday. This scope is fantastic! Shot my first F-Class at 1000 yards. The weather was coolish (70) deg and overcast that day, but I could easily see the bolt / screws holding the target number number boards at 1000 yds (high contrast white target board, black dark screws) at 25X. Also could easily see 1” dark silver pasters on the cream colored target paper at 25X at 1000 yards. Between relays I “looked around the place”, I couldn’t believe I could see the bolt heads securing the loud speaker megaphones at the target location, 1000 yards away. Their was no mirage that day, and very light wind.

Went to a different range and shot at 1000 yards a different weekend, but it was hot at 99 deg, mirage was bad, but could easily see impacts on steel at 800, mirage was so bad at 1000 couldn’t see impacts on steel, but could easily see the magneto speed hit indicator.

I should have purchased this setup 35 years ago when I started shooting. Get it you’ll love it. With the 1.6X extender you’ll have viewing ranges from 25X all the way up to 96X, plus the digiscoping with the iPhone is cats ass as well.

Ordered the 883 now waiting for it's arrival.
Would have bought it from Dough because the members here speak highly from him but being in Europe that was a no go.

You will love the 883. Every time I use it I’m blown away at the images. Now if I can just figure out this iMovie apple app, I can edit the videos I’ve taken of steel impacts and such.....

Ordered the 883 now waiting for it's arrival.
Would have bought it from Dough because the members here speak highly from him but being in Europe that was a no go.

Thank you I appreciate that. As you are in Europe you can get their neoprene fitted case which is not available here yet. it looks perfect from what I've seen

Thank you I appreciate that. As you are in Europe you can get their neoprene fitted case which is not available here yet. it looks perfect from what I've seen
I am a hunter who shoots PRS stuff only as practice....not really competitively. My requirements are for a packable spotter. I am upgrading from a mid-level Vortex spotter. From what I have seen, the Kowa TSN 554 looks awesome as a hunting spotter. Doug or anyone have an opinion?

IMO, the little Kowa TSN-554 is way more than anyone expects when they first pick it up. Right there with the big boys 65mm scopes as far as optical quality with just a slight infringement on FOV

Be glad to discuss one with you.
Doug

I would get the 88mm. It's extremely impressive.

I could faintly make out 6.5 bullet holes on a piece of white plywood at 1130 yards yesterday with my buddy’s 88mm Kowa

Impressive is an understatement