• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Level of Brass Consistency to Get Value Out of a Primal Rights CPS?

tsu45

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Thinking about ordering one of these. After watching the setup video and the .001 depth adjustment, it had me wondering what level of consistency is needed in primer pocket depth to really have that primer seated perfectly every time. Only brass I run a uniformer in is LC NATO to get the factory crimp out.

Any other recommendations? My RCBS hand primer has given me enough problems that I want to try something else. If I go bench primer I definitely want one that takes a tube or tray, no single primer handling.

21st century is the shit. There are 2 and the 1 slightly more expensive has finer click adjustment

If I'm loading match ammo, I trim to length, de-burr the flash hole, uniform the primer pocket, and weigh the case. If your using a precision primer tool you can feel when the primer is seated properly.

Thinking about ordering one of these. After watching the setup video and the .001 depth adjustment, it had me wondering what level of consistency is needed in primer pocket depth to really have that primer seated perfectly every time. Only brass I run a uniformer in is LC NATO to get the factory crimp out.

Any other recommendations? My RCBS hand primer has given me enough problems that I want to try something else. If I go bench primer I definitely want one that takes a tube or tray, no single primer handling.

I recommend you order the CPS.
I own the RCBS and the CPS. The CPS is far superior.
It is easy to setup and operate. It is Fast. It is consistent. It is safe.
Yes, you will be paying a premium, but IMHO it is very much worth it.

The CPS does not lack any "feel" vs other models.
It is similar to seating bullets with a typical single stage press, where you can tell if neck tension might be inconsistent on some cases.
If your primer pockets have been toasted by multiple hot loads/firings- you can feel it when you seat the primers.

If I had to assign a point where you’ll see a difference, I’d say when you are consistently (like really, not just here and there) getting single digit sd and sub 25 es.

Regardless though, the ease of use and convenience of the CPS is worth the price.

Reactions: 7mMike and orkan
Pulled the trigger on one.

Thinking in terms of crush measured in distance, not force. Is there a standard starting (or fixed) measurement that seems like the sweet spot?

Thinking in terms of crush measured in distance, not force. Is there a standard starting (or fixed) measurement that seems like the sweet spot?

I go 5 clicks past flush.

Measure the primer pocket depth. Measure the thickness of the primer from bottom of cup to top of anvil, then bottom of cup to top of cup. That will give you overall primer thickness as well as anvil protrusion. From there, you can ensure that the anvil is at least touching the bottom of the pocket to ensure positive ignition, by subtracting the overall primer thickness from the pocket depth, which will tell you the relationship between the base of the case and the primer cup you'll be looking for.

I've found that 2-4 thousandths of crush on the anvil produces a good starting point.

To take that further, you can perform an optimum primer seating depth test, much the same way you'd perform a bullet seating depth test.

How I set mine up. Keeping it clamp mounted for now. Ive been traveling for work as much as ever recently, driving instead of flying with all the covid mess. Sucks, but at least I can travel with reloading stuff now. These clamps look to be long and deep enough to mount on pretty much any hotel room desk.

Attachments

• 525A3FEF-D006-471C-9874-ADBE570B76D4.jpeg
    525A3FEF-D006-471C-9874-ADBE570B76D4.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 37
Look about right? Center of primer -.006 below the case head.

Attachments

• 19B49ADE-2639-4A76-A68D-0F92C97E202B.jpeg
    19B49ADE-2639-4A76-A68D-0F92C97E202B.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 30
Yup, if you're going for 5 thousandths crush, the numbers look good.

You can use pocket uniforming tools to eliminate that center to edge pocket radius if it ever becomes an issue. (it likely won't)