• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What loads does your rem 5r .308 like?

stoop14

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2010
Starting to reload what loads does your 5r in .308 like. Also add your ogive or coal or how much jump or jammed.

Re: What loads does your rem 5r .308 like?

44.3 RE15 or Surplus LR powder, 175 SMK and LC brass, Wolf mag primers, Std length. 1/3 moa. The twist rate is supposed to be optimum for the 175. Don't waste your time trying to chase the throat on the factory 5R chamber, its like linda lovelace deep, and you run out of case neck before you hit the lands, even with a 208 A-Max.

Winchester 748. 43.5 grains. 168 HPBT MK. Winchester large rifle primer. Very consistent performance and the 5R is a dependable and accurate rifle.

What are your bullets oal or ogive? I have the hornaby oal
Gauge and comparator

Nosler 168cc (can sub amax to hunt deer with)
45.5 Varget
whatever brass
Win Primer 2.80 OAL *Prairie dogs dont like*

Sierra 175SMK
44.0 Varget
whatever brass
Win Primer 2.80 OAL

175gr SMK
42.5gr Hodgdon Varget
Federal GMM brass, 2.005" trim
Federal 210M GMM Primers

In my 5R these cases have a fired volume of 55.1 grs of water (trimmed).
I full length resize them in a Redding die with carbide expander.
I seat them to 2.815" oal with a Redding Competition seating die.
Approximately 2.190 ogive.
I use a VLD type internal chamfer tool.
This load gives a barrel time of 1.228ms.
My best group at 100yds is .398 moa, one ragged hole. I think it will do better, admittedly I'm not the finest marksman.
I am too lazy to setup my chrono. =)

fyi,

With that Federal brass I saw light pressure signs start around 43gr, with flattened primers by 45gr.

Winchester brass will have approx 2 grains more internal volume. The Hogdgon data uses Winchester brass.

The following is not my volume data, I only have FGMM brass. This data was presented by someone else and should be used for comparison sake alone to get a better understanding of the charge weight difference between Sierra's book and Hogdgon's.

Lapua brass - 55.84gr average
Winchester - 57.32gr average
Federal GGM - 55.83gr average (mine is 55.1 fired in my 5R)

Thanks guy I notice alot of you leave the oal around 2.800 where I was thinking on loading mine with .015-.020 jump which would be like 2.920 oal.

Anyone els?

stoop,

I admire your dedication in asking for the "best" pet load for your Remington 700 5R w/ 1-11.25" twist.

But really your 5R is likely to be just like a number of factory 308's Remingtons, Winchesters, Savages, or even customs, only different.

Which means:

1) Pick a bullet - starting with match 155 grainers, or match 168 grainers (only if your shooting less than 800 yds), or match 175 class bullets (175 SMK, 175 Berger LRBT, 178 Hornady A-max's) or even the 185 grain Berger LRBT, or 190's class. And you know what, you can find an accurate load with any of them, in your 5R.

But if you had to pick just one bullet for any .308, on the basis of cost, flexibility, utility, and accuracy, just buy some Sierra 175 SMK's.

2) Pick a case - Lapua, Winchester, Hornady, Norma, Remington, Federal, etc. There are cost, dimensional, longevity, and case preparation differences, between these cases, but really any of them can deliver an accurate load for you.

But the least trouble-free brass, that has long life, and minimal prep time, is Lapua.

3) Pick a powder. There are a number of excellent powders that work in the 308 Winchester. But I've never found a 308 that could not deliver acceptable accuracy with Varget.

4) Pick a primer. Lots of primer will work well with the .308 Winny. But start with the Federal 210M, or the CCI BR2, and your set.

5) Seating depth. The factory mag box on your 5R is 2.850" long. If you want to actually feed ammo from your mag box, your ammo must be shorter by at least 0.010". I like a full 0.020" to be on the safe side. So your starting seating depth could be any where between 2.80" and 2.830".

I like to start at the max length suitable for my mag box, and if I cannot find an accurate load at that length, the only way to go is shorter. Takes some of the complication out of the equation if you do it that way.

So, in summary:

Sierra 175 grain SMK
Lapua Case
Fed 210M or CCI BR2 Primer
COAL of not more than 2.830"
Varget Powder

Start at 42.0 grains, work up carefully, and somewhere between 42.0 grains and 45.x grains, you will find an accurate load.

It may not be exactly someone else's "pet load", but it will be "your" pet load, worked up in your rifle.

Oh, and if you haven't got there yet, and your looking for more "pet loads", check out our reloading section:

Loads for the.308 Winchester

A full 11 pages of 308 loads. They may not be all for 5R's, but if you've been paying attention, it really does not matter. Pet loads are where you find them in your rifle.....

Best of Luck,

Bob

My 5R milspec shoots best with the 175SMK running at 2680 fps.

One load is 43.3 gr of R15. The other is 47.7 gr of 2000MR. Both use OAL of 2.820 (max length for F class). Either load yields groups of 3/8 MOA. The 168 SMK & Amax shoot well but the 175 SMK does better.

I've use both Federal & Hornady brass with the same results.

Paul

Anyone els? Thanks for the input so far.

Factory 5R bone stock from the bench
FGMM brass 3x fired trim to 2.005-2.007
Wolf Large Rifle
175 SMK
43.5 Varget
COL 2.810, Ogive 2.232

This load gave me my best group to date. All tested loads shot around 1" or just under including FGMM 168 and 175 factory loads used as a test standard. The FGMM 175 measured 2.222 from ogive using the Hornady tool, 2.80 COL.

No chronograph data since I only had 5 rounds of each load, but I'm going back Monday to try it again and set up the machine. I don't worry about data until I find an accurate load.
I'd caution that its only one group so far so don't take it as gospel.

What's important (to me at least) is that all groups tested shrunk after increasing COL with the above load showing best.
2ndPanzer is right about the throat, its long as a handsaw.
PICT0041.jpg

I'll give that a shot, I was thinking on seating .015 off the lands but that gives me a oal of 2.935 doesn't leave much for contact with the case neck. Could this effect accuracy?

The distance of the round to the lands will affect accuracy to some extent potentially. Make sure that your round always loads into the magazine and watch for pressure changes on the fired rounds. If I am loading that tightly I usually go with .010 off the lands but I know others who push it out to just a few thousandths.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dammitall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory 5R bone stock from the bench
FGMM brass 3x fired trim to 2.005-2.007
Wolf Large Rifle
175 SMK
43.5 Varget
COL 2.810, Ogive 2.232

No chronograph data since I only had 5 rounds of each load, but I'm going back Monday to try it again and set up the machine. </div></div>
Update for data

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital @ 12 ft.
74 F, 63% humidity, elevation about 1800 asl (I think)
Stock Remington 5R
1) 2629
2) 2624
3) 2635 (Hi)
4) 2599 (Lo)
5) 2635
Avg 2624
Extreme Spread (ES) 36
Standard Deviation (SD)

No outstanding groups. They looked like I was passing a peach seed while trying to shoot. About an inch and just under.
Meh.
Same results with a vanilla FN PBR 20" 1:12 barrel.

I haven't pursued higher nodes yet. The whole trick for me is finding a load that shoots well in both rifles. I'll keep at it and keep practicing.

Ya I'm having a hard time finding that perfect load I'm thinking about starting from scratch again. And do a ladder at 300 yards.

Mine is very accurate with

175gr Nosler Custom Competion
Win brass once fired and neck sized
Fed 210M Primers
45gr varget
2.268 base to Ogive
Avg speed is 2660 FPS.

Heres a target from 1000 yards with this load. The last 3 shots in the second pic were all aimed at the same spot the first 3 shots were trying to figure out the wind. The target is a 24" plate.

6shot1Kyardreduced.jpg

3shot1KyardReduced.jpg

From memory:

175 smk
44.1gr varget
wolf primer
fed 1-5x fired brass
trimmed to ~2.007
seated to ~2.815 OAL (seat by ogive, but don't recall that dimension)

I see that most guys are shooting the MK's, and my 5R really likes them. However, my best groups are coming from the following:

168gr Berger
OAL 2.835" - you will run out of magazine room WAY before you
hit rifling
43.6gr RL15

CCI Primers and plain WIN brass

The best group to date is .372" for 4 shots at 100, but averages less than .500".

178 Hornady BTHP
45 gr Varget
2.800 OAL
Lapua Brass
CCI BR2 primer
2726 fps (my go to load)

or

210 Berger VLD
3.050 oal just touching the lands
48.4 gr rl 17
Lapua Brass
CCI BR2 primer