• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What magnification do you normally shoot at?

Re: What magnification do you normally shoot at?

I would say 10 is fine for me. But I usually dont shoot more than 400 yards.

20x-25x on my Tactical/Field/Hunting Rifles and 45x on my 6 Dasher / 6 BR

Max on everything

I find myself sticking near the bottom end of my scopes... for field of view when hunting. 1.5 - 2 or 3.

Near 10x for steel, easier to track and spot bullet impacts when FOV is larger. If ranges are in the 1K range, most of my optics are 14-16x on the top end and I will be in that range.

Kirk R

I'm more for small game hunting than big game so I run on my Nikon 3-9x40 around 4-6x when stalking and 9x when sitting. Squirrels are a bitch to hit at 80+ yards when moving and don't sit still long so I'm finding I might need a 14 or 15x Nikon for my next 17 HMR...

I guess to answer your question, it depends what you're shooting at and under what conditions?

I guess to answer your question, it depends what you're shooting at and under what conditions? [/quote]

that is the big question it realy depends on what you are shooting at

At a match (F-class targets), down to 30x and up to 42x depending on how close I am and the mirage. Occasionally I have to go down to about 22x, but that is rare.

Max at targets, min. when hunting.

I was thinking about this today while i was at the range. I was shooting at 100 yards and noticed that when i am at 14x poser i am less accurate that if i have the scope at 8x. Does anyone have any input on why this is?

TIA
Kirk S

max 10 when calling, max 25 on steel varmint targets.

While hunting, around 6X to start with, turn up as desired, while shooing steel/paper, max 20 or 25X.

shooting at night i rarely go under 24x if i had a better scope it would be higher

11x at 300 mt and 15x at 600 and beyond

Usually max of 4 when hunting stuff larger than p-dogs & crow.

Rangework as much as conditions will allow. Mirage has been a real bugger the last few weeks.

Max power at targets and paper, 3-5 when hunting depending on range and terrain. Open fields get max power for standing game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">max for conditions </div></div>

+1

generally as low as i get.......

Just shot today 12x at 1830 yards steel target. I don't like too much mag, but that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Near 10x for steel, easier to track and spot bullet impacts when FOV is larger. If ranges are in the 1K range, most of my optics are 14-16x on the top end and I will be in that range.

Kirk R </div></div>

+1 ^^^

Lowest setting for me when walking/hunting in my area. If shooting groups I will be on the highest power conditions and position will allow.

The question is really to simple to answer, you have to also ask what kind of FOV do you want, what kind of shooting are you doing, is it movers, stationary target shooting, also what is mirage. I guess really the simplest answer is whatever the most magnification I can realistically get away with given shooting conditions (mirage, loophole, etc) and shooting type. Hope this helps, I wasn't trying to be a smartass just trying to help

Max for conditions.

Usually its not FOV that is restricting, its mirage that doesn't allow for more magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 270grdeerround</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i generaly run at the max for punching paper and the min when hunting </div></div>

Same

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Near 10x for steel, easier to track and spot bullet impacts when FOV is larger. If ranges are in the 1K range, most of my optics are 14-16x on the top end and I will be in that range.

Kirk R </div></div>

Same here.

I voted 10 power but I usually always stay on 12 power

Most of my scopes have higher magnifications, but I just prefer to shoot at lower powers. I feel like I have to be more tuned in to doing my part when I shoot at lower magnifications.

For precision target shooting, you want the max "clear" power available. It will allow you to find a smaller aiming point and allow you to see (or eliminate) more movement. However, sometimes the mirage is to great and requires you to reduce power until it is clear. Like it was mentioned above, if you are hunting, the FOV is to small at high power to aquire your target quickly. Personally, I use 42X the most. But then, I usually shoot targets.

Lowest when hunting, max when punching paper. That may change when I find some skill.