• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What Magnification Do you shoot 1K?

Every Day Gun Guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    www.everydaygunguy.com
    Here is why I ask. I have a US Optics SN-3 3.2-17X mounted atop a KMW .308. I generally zero at 100yds on 10X, and keep it there for most distances. I have my Dope chart for out to 1K. I use 10X until about the 700yd tgt, but then I crank it up. I like to challenge myself and getting a lower power scope like say a 3-12X or 3-14 would do that, but would I be frustrated that I spent $2K or more because I need or feel I need more magnification. It will go on a .260 by the way. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Re: What Magnification Do you shoot 1K?

i have never felt under "glassed" with my 260 when shooting out to 1K with my 3.5-15x50 NF F1. I keep it around 12X for most of my distance shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have never felt under "glassed" with my 260 when shooting out to 1K with my 3.5-15x50 NF F1. I keep it around 12X for most of my distance shooting. </div></div>

Thanks, I even thought about going that route also with the NF 3.5-15X50. Will keep that in mind.

I think it depends on how precise you want to be and what your target is. I find the higher magnification will expose movement in your hold that on a lower power you may not know is even there. I tend to use 20 power plus on anything over 500 yards. For 1000 yards I like 32 power. If your just looking to hit a man sized torso at 1000 a 10 power is plenty.

I spent a long time with a fixed 10x.

I have a SN-3 3.2-17x on my primary rifle now.

Magnification is for target ID NOT for accuracy. Still, if you want to "challenge" yourself, just crank it down to 3.2 and drive on.

I use 17x when the situation and environment allows. If mirage is up, I reduce magnification.

I have S&B 5-25's on my two long range rifles, but under normal shooting circumstances I rarely crank it above 18x as the mirage can be too much. I shot ASC this year with that scope and most shots were taken around 15x-18x, and those range get pretty long, 1100+.

That being said, it is handy to have that extra zoom to confirm a target at extreme ranges, say a woodchuck at 950 yards sticking his head out of a hole or something like that. I'd rather have the zoom and not need it, than need it and not have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Magnification is for target ID NOT for accuracy. Still, if you want to "challenge" yourself, just crank it down to 3.2 and drive on.</div></div>

Yes, the magnification for TGT ID is what I am getting at for my personal deficiencies, I guess. Would I have issues finding the tgt and then not be able to apply proper holds because I lose the tgt in 10-12 magnification. I know you can't answer that question specifically for "Me", but just trying to see what the success rate or failure rate is.

And yes the 3.2 would be a helluva challenge. Thanks for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lizzardking308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd rather have the zoom and not need it, than need it and not have it. </div></div>

Good point!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nightmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Magnification is for target ID NOT for accuracy. Still, if you want to "challenge" yourself, just crank it down to 3.2 and drive on.</div></div>

Yes, the magnification for TGT ID is what I am getting at for my personal deficiencies, I guess. Would I have issues finding the tgt and then not be able to apply proper holds because I lose the tgt in 10-12 magnification. I know you can't answer that question specifically for "Me", but just trying to see what the success rate or failure rate is.

And yes the 3.2 would be a helluva challenge. Thanks for your input. </div></div>

I have a NF 5.5-22x. I find most of my shooting is on 11x (mostly so I can double the reticle's value easily), but the extra magnification also is nice for milling in addition to the target ID factor that has been pointed out. You can be more precise in finding the edges if mirage permits.

Good luck, and rock on wit da 260. I'm 500 rounds in, and pretty happy with it so far.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I have a NF 5.5-22x. I find most of my shooting is on 11x (mostly so I can double the reticle's value easily), but the extra magnification also is nice for milling in addition to the target ID factor that has been pointed out. You can be more precise in finding the edges if mirage permits.

Good luck, and rock on wit da 260. I'm 500 rounds in, and pretty happy with it so far.

--Fargo007

</div></div>

Thanks, can't wait to get it. Roscoe is currently building it, and am sure I will enjoy it.

Nightmel,

I have been running a 3-18 IOR, for about 7 months, and I have not wished for more magnification yet. I had a straight 10x, and it was not quite enough.

IMHO the utility of anything over 22x for tactical comps and most hunting use is marginal at best.

So any scope with a range of 3-12, 4.5-14, 3.5-15, 4-16, 3-18, 5-20, or 5.5-22 covers the most useful range of scope powers, on targets likely to be engaged, out to 1k yds.

Bob

I've been using the same scope you have for 600 and 1000 yd. F-class. Had a 3.8 - 22 and was always running it down around 18X, much the same as Lizzardking. For strictly paper punching you might use more power, but for multi tasking I get along fine with max of 17X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightmel,

I have been running a 3-18 IOR, for about 7 months, and I have not wished for more magnification yet. I had a straight 10x, and it was not quite enough.

IMHO the utility of anything over 22x for tactical comps and most hunting use is marginal at best.

So any scope with a range of 3-12, 4.5-14, 3.5-15, 4-16, 3-18, 5-20, or 5.5-22 covers the most useful range of scope powers, on targets likely to be engaged, out to 1k yds.

Bob

</div></div>

I agree, and don't think that I would need anything higher than the 17X on my USO for anything I will be shooting. Was just gonna take it down a notch, but sounds like I really don't need to. Trying to decide on another SN-3 or a S&B, but wasn't sure which way I would go with the S&B a 3-12X50 or a 4-16X50. Then I was also looking at the NF 3.5-15X50/56. So that is the reason for the question.

For me it is an easy decision USO is a U.S. based small business that produces quality scopes with excellent custom options. You can shell out the dough for an S&B and you will have a quality scope. Or...you can shell out some dough for a custom made scope, made in the USA. To me the decision was easy. Now I just have to get my deposit to Doc for my build.

As high of magnification as the situation allows.....

If I need more FOV, I dial back, if mirage or atmospheric condions are tough, I ial back. If I can run 25X, I do.

This BS about 10X being good enough is wearing thin....fixed 10X was ok for many because its what they were issued and they had to make do.

I have an ST10 that I find myself wishing for more mag and it rarely sees 600+.
    Anyone thinks their SN3-1700's too much scope I'll trade you my ST10.....

I am with Sobrbiker on this one. I have a 3-15 and it has worked perfectly beyond 1200 yards on human sized targets. More power wold be nice but I don't feel like I need it. If I had it I would use it.

I used a NF 3-15x50mm NP-R2 for several years and thought it was fine.

Decided to dip my toe into mil / mil FFP with an IOR 3-18x44m Snipers Hide. Perhaps with the reticle being so large @ 18x, I don't really notice it being any higher magnification than the Nightforce @ 15x.

I tried the NF 5-22x56mm NP-1RR on my 22BR and really appreciated the extra magnification for prairie-dogs out @ ~425yds. I've since moved to a Premier 5-25x56mm. It's awesome. I sure don't find myself wishing I had less magnification.

Then again, I have a Falcon Menace 5-25x50mm ML16 on my Benjamin Marauder 22 that I seldom shoot outside 20yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ............. I sure don't find myself wishing I had less magnification........ </div></div>
    +1
    I have never had a scope and thought "if only this had less magnification"........

I may run into a bunch of dispute here, but I have found that it is better to use less mag at longer ranges, up to a point. One reason is because of the usual target sizes used at different distances. FOr example, at 200 yds, I usually find the need to use about 16-20x to comfortably shoot at a 4" target. At 500 yds, shooting at a 15" target, I am much more comfy at about 8x. The magnification multiplier has a greater perceived effect on targets at distance than at closer targets. Cutting the perceived distance of a 1000 yd target by 5 fold is much greater than doing the same at 200 yds. I don't know how else to explain it, but in my experience, I am better with less mag at longer ranges, and more mag at closer ones.

I use variables with max magnification somewhere between 20x and 32x.
    Scopes are typically VX-3's LR/T's, Mark 4's, or NightForce NXS.

Like it was said before. It depends on the tagret.
    Mansize on 1000 where only a hit is what counts, 10x is really enough. Shooting groups you'll be happy for a bigger magnification.
    I use a Premier Heritage 5-25x56. The high zoom level gives me all possibilities.

Chili

If mirage isnt an issue, Im on max mag which is 22X on my USO.

I find that I generally leave my scope on its max 16x power for most ranges up to 1k+ yards. That said mirage at 16x under certain conditions can almost be too much.

My handle says it for me- 10X

I shot most everything at the Oregon comp on 25x (including the 15yd shot). Only thing i dialed down for was a stage where you shot 600mover, 100yds 400yds and back. I also dialed down for positional around 15x. Love the SB
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ............. I sure don't find myself wishing I had less magnification........ </div></div>
    +1
    I have never had a scope and thought "if only this had less magnification"........ </div></div>

so true

it depends on what the mirrage is like i have been shooting back to 1200 yards on 60 power with my march but have shot to 1000 with 16 power i believe around 20-25 on a high power tacticle scope is fine. It also depends on the target and type of shooting you are doing the March would not and is not the go to scope for heavy duty use when the going gets tough the premier at 25 power on my 338 is the go.

I think for me it boils down to price range, we are not all money bags, only after a deployment do I have the cash for a high end scope. I guess my point is for me 10X has worked wonders for me, downrange and in matches. I agree that a little more would be benificial but even then I think personally I wouldnt go much more than 15X, maybe after years of shootin 10X I'm biased, I won the All Army Long Range Championships with one, of course that was the only option given it's an issue gun. Maybe I'd be a convert if any of you guys wanna send me a USO to test!

I usually use 10-15x at most matches and shooting at home but it's nice having a 5-25x S&B as if I need more power I have more. Like mentioned it doesn't hurt to have more and the scope is variable so if you don't need the higher power you just turn it down. I can always put my 5-25x on 15x but you can't put a 3-15x scope on 25x
    wink.gif

One thing I don't hear mentioned much is the size of the reticle.

On my IOR 3-18x44mm "Snipers Hide", the reticle is actually useable down as low as 3x, although the flip-side of that is that it's pretty thick up at 18x. Still OK though.

Contrast that to the 5-25x56mm Premier Heritage with the Gen 2 XR reticle. It's beautiful up at 25x, but the reticle is pretty small even on 10x and tiny @ 5x.

I haven't looked through the two side-by-side, but it's my understanding reticle of the Premier Heritage 3-15x on 15x is larger / thicker than the 5-25x on 15x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael Aos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I don't hear mentioned much is the size of the reticle.

On my IOR 3-18x44mm "Snipers Hide", the reticle is actually useable down as low as 3x, although the flip-side of that is that it's pretty thick up at 18x. Still OK though.

Contrast that to the 5-25x56mm Premier Heritage with the Gen 2 XR reticle. It's beautiful up at 25x, but the reticle is pretty small even on 10x and tiny @ 5x.

I haven't looked through the two side-by-side, but it's my understanding reticle of the Premier Heritage 3-15x on 15x is larger / thicker than the 5-25x on 15x. </div></div>

This is exactly why most companies dropped FFP scopes back in the 70's in favor of second focal plane scopes. I still don't understand why anyone would still fool with them now. I like my reticles fine and full sized all the time. Ranging with the reticle is useless at the distances I shoot at.

I agree on the reticle sizing being a nuisance for me at low power. I have a 3-9 FFP super sniper and have pretty much left it at 9x for everything from my 100 yd zero to 550 yard steel plates. Can't stand turning it down any lower because the reticle is uber tiny and I guess its not something i want to try to get used to. I guess I should have bought the fixed 10 HD.

Also, on another note...I must ask: what power/scope do you think the British sniper who made the 2,700 yard double kill was using?

Since the answer to the OP's question seems to often be the same as "what scope do you own?" i am wondering for those that have lower mag range scopes such as 3-12, 3-15, 4-16, or whatever, how often do you actually use the lower mag end of the scope? say less than 6x?

because if the answer is not much, than wouldn't it be better to buy a scope in say, the 6-24 range and simply dial down as needed? going with the philosophy that you would want all the mag you could get at 1000.

is the lower end just for the once in a blue moon that you are shooting movers at 25 yards and cant do it with 6x? in that case i have a handgun...
    smile.gif

I have a 3.5-10x FFP scope that never comes off 10 power. Would like a little more power at times.
    grin.gif

a history channel show, can't remember which one, maybe battle 360, or extreme marksmen, but anyway it said he was using a Nightforce 5.5-22 x 50 NXS but didnt specify wich power setting he used for the shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot most everything at the Oregon comp on 25x (including the 15yd shot). Only thing i dialed down for was a stage where you shot 600mover, 100yds 400yds and back. I also dialed down for positional around 15x. Love the SB
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

I spent most all of the match on 17x but I should have dialed down for the barricade/support side. 200y @17x was a bit much.

I recently shot my first match this weekend with shots out to 870 yds. I always thought I would use a lot of mag but it never went above 10x until I shot at the 870yd target, and then it went to 14x. What sucked was using a flat base and running out of elevation and trying to shoot with a mildot for a crosshair...

As much as the mirage will let me get away with. With the cooler spring we've had my NF has never come off 22X.

the countersniper mildot riding my uzi long range precision tactical zombie carbine never comes off of 32x...except on a few stages fired from the segway. just sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the countersniper mildot riding my uzi long range precision tactical zombie carbine never comes off of 32x...except on a few stages fired from the segway. just sayin.</div></div>

haha that's good stuff right there
    smile.gif

article-0-01D423C500000578-176_468x602.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it depends on how precise you want to be and what your target is. I find the higher magnification will expose movement in your hold that on a lower power you may not know is even there. I tend to use 20 power plus on anything over 500 yards. For 1000 yards I like 32 power. If your just looking to hit a man sized torso at 1000 a 10 power is plenty. </div></div>

I agree with LoneWolfUSMC on this one, I think you are partly right, you may be able to notice movement at a higher mag than at a lower mag. However it wouldn't make any difference in accuracy. There is an inherenet movement your body makes, no one can hold a rifle perfectly still like in a vise, your body doesn't work that way. So even if you can see it at a higher mag there's nothing you can do about it if you are already taking all the precations to minimize movement with body position, heart rate, and breathing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it depends on how precise you want to be and what your target is. I find the higher magnification will expose movement in your hold that on a lower power you may not know is even there. I tend to use 20 power plus on anything over 500 yards. For 1000 yards I like 32 power. If your just looking to hit a man sized torso at 1000 a 10 power is plenty. </div></div>

I agree with LoneWolfUSMC on this one, I think you are partly right, you may be able to notice movement at a higher mag than at a lower mag. However it wouldn't make any difference in accuracy. There is an inherenet movement your body makes, no one can hold a rifle perfectly still like in a vise, your body doesn't work that way. So even if you can see it at a higher mag there's nothing you can do about it if you are already taking all the precations to minimize movement with body position, heart rate, and breathing. </div></div>

Theoretically you are right on, however i've found that there is something that happens to the shooter subjectively when the reticle is bouncing around all crazy. i personally just dont shoot as well as i would if i dialed back... even though objectively the reticle is no less "stable" than it was when i was zoomed in.