• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Manufacturer to Purchase next Hunting Rifle from?

K9067

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2020
Canada
Canadian neighbour from the great white north, looking for personal input into a need rifle Purchase in 2021. In Canada we unfortunately don’t have the resources or the luxury to walk into a gun store and shoulder as many different rifles as our neighbours in the USA. Therefore Im reaching out to ask for all of the serious gun enthusiasts/ serious hunters. I am looking to purchase a new 308 hunting rifle, now having said that everything is generally a special order for us so you have to be sure as you are always all in when purchasing. I have Mixed feelings as which company / brand to go with. Do I go with Seekins Havick Element, Bergara Premier Approach or Highlander, Tikka T3X Stainless Fluted Hunter , T3X Lite Veil Wideland or the Browning Pro ? Your thoughts! Shoot!

Sight unseen, you should definitely avoid bergara because of the bolt problems. Browning use to make good stuff but I don’t know about their recent rifles. Tikka‘s are fine out of the box but some people upgrade the stock and trigger right away. If that’s something you would do I suggest a Howa 1500 hs precision. Howa’s have a integral recoil lug and a 2 stage trigger that’s darn good for a factory trigger. It cost less than the others mentioned and shoot sub moa with factory ammo. They’re held so close to specs that prefit barrels are available. That tells me a lot about their manufacturing process
From your list I’d go with a tikka.

I love my Tikka, and the Veil Weidland I've felt up at a store is awesome, that's the way I would go. No need to upgrade the trigger beyond a $5 spring, and personally I liked the feel of the Veil stock.

Just got a Sako A7 for one of the kids as a Christmas present. They haven't received it yet, but I was pretty happy with it. I've got a safe full of custom rifles, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a hunt. For the price it was going for, I couldn't see going the Tikka route for the same price or more.

Hey, Cadex is Canadian based, and has some great hunting rifles, including the lighweight Proof carbon barrel. Alot of Canadians go for Tikka as well.

I am not a hunter, but I am a rifle fan, and Tikka and Bergara are hard to beat great quality. I am not sure if you get Bergara. Cadex is a step above, and a new competitor in the hunting space. We don't sell into Canada, but happy to make an introduction. Would you beleive that Canada outsells the USA in Cadex sales, with a poulation, what 1/5 that of the US?

Tikka. Assumption is the Canadian Ranger contract would potentially mean it would be easier to obtain parts and service.

I bought a Tikka T3x here on the hide as a project rifle a while back. It completely ruined my plans by being a damn good rifle. Full disclosure, I spent $10 on a trigger spring, $20 on the vert grip module and probably $60 in supplies to stabilize and bed the stock.

Mine is a 7mm RM and runs factory ammo like it says on the box or a little faster, generally. The day I shot a 10 charge ladder into ~1 MOA @ 300 yards as a storm came in was the day I knew that barrel would be on the action for a while longer. I did order myself a new stock for Christmas and it pained me to do that simply because I was enamored of how well it shot just the way it was/is (and the stock costs as much as the rifle...and will be substantially more if I also upgrade to bottom metal).

Reactions: Lucky1 and gnochi
What about the Ruger Precision Rifle? I don’t see many people talking about these. Just bought one and I enjoy it.

No love for Seekins huh?
They use Rock Creek barrels and I've heard nothing but good things about them

Reactions: USMC#1
What about the Ruger Precision Rifle? I don’t see many people talking about these. Just bought one and I enjoy it.
While I am no fan of lightweight rifles, I also own an RPR, and I cannot see me lugging that 15 pound rifle (rifle and scope) around the hunting fields. Sure enough, given a good rest the RPR can hit out to the effective hunting ranges of whatever caliber is chosen, but still, 10+ pounds for the bare rifle is a bit much. (For hunting)

The Ruger Hawkeye and Weatherby Vanguard’s are pretty decent rifles for the money. Elsewise, if money is not an issue, plenty of choices.

They always run, regardless of conditions. I hunt in some severe weather and R8’s have never failed me; whereas others have.
Nice avatar. Coincidentally enough I shot a pronghorn right in the eyeball with mine at 405yds in 300wm.

They make some shooting arse rifles.

Nice avatar. Coincidentally enough I shot a pronghorn right in the eyeball with mine at 405yds in 300wm.

They make some shooting arse rifles.
Thanks

4 sure, I have never had a Blaser barrel that didn’t shoot under .5, usually .2-.3. I have removed a few doe heads at range by hitting the intersecting neck joint.

Wanted to crossbow one this year, 80 yards heart shot about 15 degrees above me according to my RF.

55A40C3C-7802-4E95-BF6D-054CC509A94E.jpeg

How far in to Canada are you? Could always make your way down south and shoulder some rifles. Not the best time because all shops are pretty limited but it's an option. Tikka would get my vote. Plus the custom spring you would throw on the trigger comes from Canada.

Like others have said, tikka is a no brainer, for a hunting rifle I wouldn't even bother with a lighter spring on the trigger. You can get the stock trigger down to about 2 lbs. The veil wideland models look nice and probably wouldn't need any changes.

Being in Canada I’d go cadex in heart beat. They support shooting sports across Canada.
Tikka is sweet too. Good luck

My dad has had a bunch of browning x-bolts. I like them except for the triggers…they’re a cool gold color but man, they are heavy to pull!

Me, I went for two Bergara Premier Approach rifles (6.5 CM and 22-250). I’m familiar with Rem 700s and like the trigger selection. I settled on two stage Bix n’ Andy TacSport Pros, as I’ve turned into a trigger snob, apparently.

So, if you too are “guided by triggers”, then factor that into your selection.

PS. The Bergara bolt thing is on the B-14 (cheaper) line, and apparently does not affect their Premier lineup. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/bergara-b14-hmr.294780/

Tikka, no risk in one of those.
I don't like teeny weeny barrels.
My Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor, is not too heavy to lug around.
A decent sling and balanced pack, the extra barrel "meat" is worth it.
.308 is a great round.
If you get to have half the fun I get out of my Tikka, you'll never regret it.
I've had .308, 25-06, and now 6.5 Creedmoor..... absolutely no problems with any of them.
Enjoy!

Browning X-Bolt is a killer rifle. Really smooth bolt. 60 degree throw. Phenomenal accuracy. The triggers are adjustable so if its too heavy you can go lower to your choosing. Tikka and Sako are also not bad for the money but I don't own one personally.

I've got a Browning XBolt that I put a Timney Trigger into. Well worth the money, the factory trigger is junk.