• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What method is used to clean dies...

Broken_Reticle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Philadelphia Tn
I saw on here in a post to use brake cleaner... Is there anything that works better on dies and what shouldn't be used on dies. I know nothing abrasive.

How often do you clean your dies? Does sizing wax build up in the dies till it will actually change the dimension of the die?

Cheers,
B_R

Re: What method is used to clean dies...

If you have a sonic cleaner that would work. If your looking at removing a little carbon buildup a little white gas/Coleman fuel eats right through it but keep it away from any rubber.

I use brake cleaner and a chamber brush. AR15 chamber brush for .223 dies and M14 chamber brush for the rest. Yes sizing lube builds up inside dies. I clean them each time I sit down to size. BTW I take the sizing die apart.

Brake cleaner and a piece of 'blue shop towel' twisted up. Built up lube won't change the sizing dimension, but excessive lube in the neck / shoulder will cause dented shoulders. I don't have a regular sch for cleaning; just when I think they need it. For large volume dies (like .223), I'll clean after processing a batch.

Acetone and cotton balls... prepped afterwards with Hornady one shot.

I just use bore solvent, q tip, paper towel

Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, electrical contact cleaner, whatever I have sitting around. Hornady One Shot or Dillon Sizing Lube after on internal surfaces, WD-40 outside.

I use brake cleaner, a tooth brush and air not sure if it is right or wrong but it works.

How about for removing brass streaks? I noticed that my sizing die had started scoring the brass and when I looked inside, there were streaks on the wall. What will remove this without ruining the die?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Modoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about for removing brass streaks? I noticed that my sizing die had started scoring the brass and when I looked inside, there were streaks on the wall. What will remove this without ruining the die?</div></div>

I have had sucess cleaning such dies with a bore mop of a size larger than the diameter of the die and JB Bore Paste.

Use an old cheap sectional rod, attach the bore mop to the appropriate section and chuck it into a drill. Aplly liberal amounts of bore paste and go from there.

I use Hoppe's #9 Bore Solvent and a bore cleaning patch wound around a pistol cleaning brush that is reserved for cleaning dies and chambers, 9mm and 45ACP will serve in most instances. The neck area is cleaned using a bronze bore brush and Hoppe's #9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just use bore solvent, q tip, paper towel</div></div>

Same here.

Wipeout foam works good if you have time to let it sit overnight.