• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing what mill

mlw332

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2011
Mississippi
We are looking for an entry level mill. What are a few machines that would be good learners...

Re: what mill

I use a Bridgeport, and am very happy with it. You can buy them in great shape cheap.

i was looking at local craigslist listings. then i found an ebay reseller in my area and got lucky. got a pretty cheap bridgport with one auto feed for cheap. the guy made most of his money gouging on shipping. i picked it up.

Bridgeport is really the way to go, as replacement parts are very easy to come by.

A series II is definitely better than a series I

Bridgeports are sweet. We wanted one but went with a JET since its what our supplier had. We're pretty damn happy with it actually. It was around $6k.
Might be more than a used port, but its brand new.

Kent makes a good one. Heavier castings from what I've seen. Mass is never a bad thing with any equipment.

I have an eagle 80s vintage cnc knee mill that id sell.

Needs a servo card and some tlc but its a brute of a machine.

I bought a grizzly G3616, 5 years ago, I have had a couple real machinist friend of mine sneaker at it until they checked it out and they were impressed with it, they all agreed it was a good machine for the money being rigid and all the knobs dead on.
hope this helps.