• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What next Night Vision or precision rifle

xnv733x

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2020
what should be next priority for the preparedness minded civilian looking to expand capabilities lets say already has a decent carbine/ optic , armor/ chest rig along with some other basics like boots and ruck and also owns an entry level 308 bolt gun besides the obvious being ammo and training what should be the next priority between Night Vision possibly thermal something like a PVS 14 or Flir breach or would you say invest in more capable precision rifle / optic?

A precision rifle can do a lot of other duties. It can replace a less capable rifle while doing things that the lesser rifle can't. NV/Thermal is a niche specific product and you really need to do an honest assessment of how often, it will be usable for your needs. If NV/thermal optics have a high utility for you there isn't really any substitutes.

Reactions: xnv733x
If you venture into the NV realm, you'll never be seen again as you will be working forever to pay for all the cool equipment like helmet, laser, IR illuminators, and the list goes on and on and on........ That said, it does give you a distinct advantage in the dark once you figure out how it works as a system!

Well, I’m about to buy a rifle so I guess thats my vote. But assuming the deal goes through I’ll have my bases covered. A general purpose AR, house gun, handgun, 6.5/308 rifle.

Next is probably a good monocular setup on a bump helmet.

Just being realistic, you need about a years worth of freeze dried food, a way to purify and/or store a lot of water, medical supplies, sanitary supplies, etc.

If you are trying to get into the preparedness mindset you are going to need those things well before a precision rifle. You also need ammo for the things you already have. It’s just going to get more scarce for a while and if you can’t feed your guns then they aren’t very useful.

Thermal is a force multiplier. I’d prioritize that after being good on food, water, ammo. A decent rifle mounted sight can also be used as a handheld. It’s not niche if you don’t keep it in the safe. Hunting, seeing what’s bumping around at night, natural disasters, finding someone lost, etc.

Then get into nightvision.

You’re gonna need about eleventeen thousand dollars…

I'll just start with one of my Dad's old sayings "The worst events always happen at night".
The basic mistake most of us make is to attempt to go the economy route. When you look at an object at 100 yards and can not tell if it is a man or a horse, you will understand what I am saying.
There is some night video on this site (somewhere) showing the coyote hunters making some impressive shots. The NV allows them to know it is a coyote they are looking at. I would set that as my entry level bench mark.
As stated, this will get expensive. In a defensive mode, it could be a life saver.

Just being realistic, you need about a years worth of freeze dried food, a way to purify and/or store a lot of water, medical supplies, sanitary supplies, etc.

If you are trying to get into the preparedness mindset you are going to need those things well before a precision rifle. You also need ammo for the things you already have. It’s just going to get more scarce for a while and if you can’t feed your guns then they aren’t very useful.

Thermal is a force multiplier. I’d prioritize that after being good on food, water, ammo. A decent rifle mounted sight can also be used as a handheld. It’s not niche if you don’t keep it in the safe. Hunting, seeing what’s bumping around at night, natural disasters, finding someone lost, etc.

Then get into nightvision.

You’re gonna need about eleventeen thousand dollars…
Already Pretty squared away with food med and water / purification 👍🏻Thank you for the input

Reactions: Rerun7
Training for all capable people under your roof. Their own rigs/equipment. Proven capability.

Like a safe full of long guns, you are only going to use one at a time.

Make sure the people around you are up to speed.

Consider an investing fund instead of guns/equipment... gather your $$$ and when the market crashes, dump that $$ into VOO, Vanguard S&P500 fund.

A year later after things are a bit more stable, from that point consider cashing out (need a year or more for tax purposes).

Not just surviving hard times, but how will you come out of it on the other side?

Having night vision and thermals changes the game slightly. Knowing how to use it and practicing its use is a massive game changer. My old Battalion Commander rightfully use to say that the "army doesn't own the night, we lease it with an option to buy". I can't tell you how many times I was on patrol and had to get onto a guy for putting his NVG's up because "I can see better without them" as they would say which was absolutely BS. It was their own ignorance of the system and its employment that was the true problem. Most of them either didn't know how to focus them and adjust them for the environment we were in.

If you are on a budget I might suggest a good thermal scanner to detect, PVS14 and an IR laser and illuminator.