• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What not to do with NV??????

In2b8u

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2007
WV Elkins
Ponied up and ordered a PVS 14 from Victor and Chip at TNVC. What a great bunch of guys to deal with.
On a serious note, for those of you that have experience with this unit, what should not be done to preserve the life of this piece of equipment? It was a significant investment and I would like it to last. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks

Re: What not to do with NV??????

Well, the basic things are limit exposure to bright light sources like daylight and lasers. Keep the caps on when not in use, don't store batteries in the unit. Don't drop it or submerge it. They are reasonably rugged and water resistant, but that's no cause to abuse it. Treat it with the same due care you show a riflescope or binos and it will last many years.

Coryt has it coverd,But here is a list..

Dont let anyone that is Not A US citzen look threw it.
Dont shoot it on any thing larger than a 223 and dont do that if you can help it.
Dont look at flares.
Dont Look into lasers.
Dont Look Into any bright Lights any longer than you can help.
Dont leave it on and motionless.
Dont leave it on behind a red dot or any optic with reticule if not in use.
Dont Run it head mounted of your Dominate eye.
Dont Run it to close To your eye so if You bump into something/Fall or flip it down fast with a saggy helmet you could hurt your eye or cheek..
Dont leave The BATTERY in it when Not in use.
Dont forget to double/triple check its Off when you turn it off.
Dont wipe Your Demist shield Off when Moist.
Dont Drop it and If you do think fast and throw your foot in the way to deflect the Impact.
Dont Forget To teather it on your helmet or person before clicking it in the head gear.
Dont Loan it out.
Dont let your Dog here It wine or Its chew toy sooner than later.

More to come...

Why not run the pvs-14 on your dominant eye????
Never heard that before.....

.You can its No problem,But using the NON Dom. eye with a MONO will leave the DOM. eye trying to take over as much as possible to see and working into the Brain some depth perception

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not run the pvs-14 on your dominant eye????
Never heard that before..... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.You can its No problem,But using the NON Dom. eye with a MONO will leave the DOM. eye trying to take over as much as possible to see and working into the Brain some depth perception

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not run the pvs-14 on your dominant eye????
Never heard that before..... </div></div></div></div>

Ok, ok.
Gotcha,
Thanks!

This may be the best "don't" out there.......Don't let your buddies, family, or any other random persons who don't know dick about NVG's mess with your gear!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be the best "don't" out there.......Don't let your buddies, family, or any other random persons who don't know dick about NVG's mess with your gear!!! </div></div>

Very sage advice. "Yeah, I turned them off... I think."

If you do let them touch your stuff, be looking over their shoulder!

dont not store it in a faraday cage with all the solar flares and possible emp.

What's your recommended method of tethering the PVS-14 when head mounted. I have the OpsCore FAST with Wilcox bracket.

I know the bungee cords are there for something to do with securing NODs, but I can't make sense of it.

I do need to figure that out, b/c with a slight bit of upward leverage the Wilcox bracket will pop out of the OpsCore helmet.

Don't want that to happen with my PVS-14 on it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your recommended method of tethering the PVS-14 when head mounted. I have the OpsCore FAST with Wilcox bracket.

I know the bungee cords are there for something to do with securing NODs, but I can't make sense of it.

I do need to figure that out, b/c with a slight bit of upward leverage the Wilcox bracket will pop out of the OpsCore helmet.

Don't want that to happen with my PVS-14 on it! </div></div>

Couple of things....

First, <span style="font-weight: bold">slight </span>upward leverage of the Wilcox Bracket (G24?) should NOT pop out of the helmet.

What helmet are you using? FAST Jump with the molded in shroud or a composite or ballistic with an OPS Shroud? Just checking here so I can give some advise...

Which Wilcox do you have.brake away or the one on your other thread? some are brake away and have a lock out you can switch on or off the brake away option.

I don't like brake away stuff,I don't get into the environment that I needed. I think you have the G24 tan with wilcox ARM from your picks in the other threads you better pop it out and see if the Ops-core fast-base bump is broken or warn at the bottom where the mount clicks in.I allways push my relase going on to keep wear off that spot.
Use some small cord and tether it threw the lanyard hole and the helmet where ever you like But make it where its not snagging or hindering your use of the Device.

My mount is solid and I trust it so I don't use one BUT I Recommend that everyone have one if they feel they don't need it then they should be fine with trust earned from run time and know there gear. tethers are good IDEA no matter the experiance level or trust. <span style="text-decoration: underline"> shit happens</span>.

Here is an IDEA.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...704#Post2718704

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your recommended method of tethering the PVS-14 when head mounted. I have the OpsCore FAST with Wilcox bracket.

Don't want that to happen with my PVS-14 on it! </div></div>

I will second most of what has been covered. ASM did a good job of covering the basics of do's and don't's with an NVG. A couple things I would modify/expand on.

You can run the PVS-14 on either your dominant or your non-dominant eye. The reason you would run it on the non-dominant is tactic-related. The main advantage of a monocular is that it allows faster transition between NV and white light. Operating effectively in low-light/no-light environments means knowing when to and having the ability to transition from NVG's to white lights. There are certain times when you may need to use your weapon light. These could involve SSE or engaging bad guys who are using lights. With a monocular, your dominant eye is already un-aided and night adapted. So, going to your white light is as quick as activating it- no goggles to flip up.

It also allows for more seamless transition between dark and semi-dark environments. Battlefields are not always one or the other and Warfighters often find themselves moving from one light condition to the other. Your brain will automatically choose the best image that it's presented with. In semi-lit environments, the use of NVG's may not be optimal, so your brain is going to allow the non-aided eye to take over.

I would disagree with the positioning of the NVG. Ground-Forces NVG's are meant to be worn as far back as they can go to afford the operator the entire FOV. The further they are away from the eyes, the more it will look as if you are observing through a toilet paper tube. Don't worry about it smacking you in the eye. It will hit your eye-pro before it hits your face. And, if it does leave a bruise, just tell the ladies you had to go hands-on with the subject/prey. The only goggles that are meant to be worn away from the face are aviator goggles (F4949 ANVIS-9, AVS-6). This is only so the pilots can glance down beneath the goggle housing to view the cockpit console.

ASM's comments about the batteries are right on! Do not store your NVG's or lasers with the batteries installed. I also recommend using lithium AA's for the PVS-14 rather than Alkaline. Lithium batteries have much better voltage regulation and are more stable under extreme temperatures. I've had alkalines shit the bed in sub-freezing conditions in the field.

As for the helmet mount questions:

All Wilcox mounts feature the Breakaway mode. The upwards pressure popping the mount off means that it is probably set to "Breakaway." In this mode, the mount would pop free under 100 foot/pounds. Check to ensure your mount is set to non-breakaway and then plug it in. This is important because if it is set to breakaway before it is clicked into the shroud, and then you move the shuttle switch to non-breakaway, it will not stay in non-breakaway (this was a lesson learned in the field much to my annoyance. The shuttle switch must be set to non-breakaway before it is installed in the shroud.

The other issue you may be having involves a possible tolerance problem with the Ops Core shroud. The VAS shroud is a cast part with powder coating. Castings cannot be held to the same tolerances as machined parts, so they can sometimes be slightly out of spec. This happens from time to time with the VAS Shroud. If you set the Wilcox mount as described above and are still having issues, send your VAS back into Ops Core for a replacement.

You should always dummy-cord your NVG's to your. The Wilcox retractable lanyards are a fantastic method of doing this in a low profile way. The Bungees on your helmet are not meant to tether the NVG's to your helmet. They are open hooks, after all. They are there for use with aviation NVG's and any other system that uses the Army Ball Detent style attachment. These contacts are inherently wobbly. Before the Ops Core built-in Bungees on the ARC rails, we used to use off the shelf bungees to help reduce the wobble. Now, they are built in. But again; they are open hooks and provide no retention.

We also sell the Down Range Gear NOD Retention Lanyards. These are simple shock-cord lanyards that do the trick, but are not as elegant as the Wilcox lanyards.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clasky_TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will second most of what has been covered. ASM did a good job of covering the basics of do's and don't's with an NVG. A couple things I would modify/expand on.

You can run the PVS-14 on either your dominant or your non-dominant eye. The reason you would run it on the non-dominant is tactic-related. The main advantage of a monocular is that it allows faster transition between NV and white light. Operating effectively in low-light/no-light environments means knowing when to and having the ability to transition from NVG's to white lights. There are certain times when you may need to use your weapon light. These could involve SSE or engaging bad guys who are using lights. With a monocular, your dominant eye is already un-aided and night adapted. So, going to your white light is as quick as activating it- no goggles to flip up.

It also allows for more seamless transition between dark and semi-dark environments. Battlefields are not always one or the other and Warfighters often find themselves moving from one light condition to the other. Your brain will automatically choose the best image that it's presented with. In semi-lit environments, the use of NVG's may not be optimal, so your brain is going to allow the non-aided eye to take over.

I would disagree with the positioning of the NVG. Ground-Forces NVG's are meant to be worn as far back as they can go to afford the operator the entire FOV. The further they are away from the eyes, the more it will look as if you are observing through a toilet paper tube. Don't worry about it smacking you in the eye. It will hit your eye-pro before it hits your face. And, if it does leave a bruise, just tell the ladies you had to go hands-on with the subject/prey. The only goggles that are meant to be worn away from the face are aviator goggles (F4949 ANVIS-9, AVS-6). This is only so the pilots can glance down beneath the goggle housing to view the cockpit console.

ASM's comments about the batteries are right on! Do not store your NVG's or lasers with the batteries installed. I also recommend using lithium AA's for the PVS-14 rather than Alkaline. Lithium batteries have much better voltage regulation and are more stable under extreme temperatures. I've had alkalines shit the bed in sub-freezing conditions in the field.

All Wilcox mounts feature the Breakaway mode. The upwards pressure popping the mount off means that it is probably set to "Breakaway." In this mode, the mount would pop free under 100 foot/pounds. Check to ensure your mount is set to non-breakaway and then plug it in. This is important because if it is set to breakaway before it is clicked into the shroud, and then you move the shuttle switch to non-breakaway, it will not stay in non-breakaway (this was a lesson learned in the field much to my annoyance. The shuttle switch must be set to non-breakaway before it is installed in the shroud.

The other issue you may be having involves a possible tolerance problem with the Ops Core shroud. The VAS shroud is a cast part with powder coating. Castings cannot be held to the same tolerances as machined parts, so they can sometimes be slightly out of spec. This happens from time to time with the VAS Shroud. If you set the Wilcox mount as described above and are still having issues, send your VAS back into Ops Core for a replacement.

You should always dummy-cord your NVG's to your. The Wilcox retractable lanyards are a fantastic method of doing this in a low profile way. The Bungees on your helmet are not meant to tether the NVG's to your helmet. They are open hooks, after all. They are there for use with aviation NVG's and any other system that uses the Army Ball Detent style attachment. These contacts are inherently wobbly. Before the Ops Core built-in Bungees on the ARC rails, we used to use off the shelf bungees to help reduce the wobble. Now, they are built in. But again; they are open hooks and provide no retention.

We also sell the Down Range Gear NOD Retention Lanyards. These are simple shock-cord lanyards that do the trick, but are not as elegant as the Wilcox lanyards.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

I don't Know about everyone buying NV But The majority of Guys that I shoot with and sale NV to on the hide are Not Military or Just Hunt.

I did Not Know all WILCOX where brake away I guess I am not the expert I thought I was
grin.gif
You may be wired diff rent But I have issue with the Dominate EYE and most that I have went out Hunting with have had the same issue.Guess If I want to transition on Hogs or a coyote I better figure that out! I don't use My gear for WAR I am a dumb Old country boy that Hunts predators hogs and what Not so I bow down to you and let you roll the Kill a man with a straw Info out. I have seen a few busted Up cheeks and its really not cool when you see cheek bone of some ones face when there own Kit kicks there Ass thats a Little more than a Black eye. FAST BASE Jump helmet is not the same as the other Ops core and does not use the shroud that bolts on so no way to remove any metal coatings.

We all Know we cant Count On you guys steping in to show us slow folk the 411.

If I misunderstood anything sorry in advance.

And Thanks I think..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM Night Vision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clasky_TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will second most of what has been covered. ASM did a good job of covering the basics of do's and don't's with an NVG. A couple things I would modify/expand on.

I don't Know about everyone buying NV But The majority of Guys that I shoot with and sale NV to on the hide are Not Military or Just Hunt.

I did Not Know all WILCOX where brake away I guess I am not the expert I thought I was
grin.gif
You may be wired diff rent But I have issue with the Dominate EYE and most that I have went out Hunting with have had the same issue.Guess If I want to transition on Hogs or a coyote I better figure that out! I don't use My gear for WAR I am a dumb Old country boy that Hunts predators hogs and what Not so I bow down to you and let you roll the Kill a man with a straw Info out. I have seen a few busted Up cheeks and its really not cool when you see cheek bone of some ones face when there own Kit kicks there Ass thats a Little more than a Black eye. FAST BASE Jump helmet is not the same as the other Ops core and does not use the shroud that bolts on so no way to remove any metal coatings.

And Thanks I think..

</div></div>

Noted...Folks are here to learn Frank and NO ONE CALLED ANYONE SLOW...No misunderstanding NONE. We train and grow by trying all sorts of ways to shoot with NODS and we have a pretty good track record.
smile.gif

Vic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM Night Vision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clasky_TNVC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will second most of what has been covered. ASM did a good job of covering the basics of do's and don't's with an NVG. A couple things I would modify/expand on.

grin.gif

And Thanks I think..

</div></div>

Frankie,

I meant no offense by what I posted. Please re-read it and you will see that there is nothing there that slights you in any way. My post was aimed at helping the OP with his questions and opening up a bit of discussion. We all have something to contribute and I try to do so in a positive and productive way.

Yes, my background is Military. That just means I have a different perspective than you. Both can aid people by bringing up valid points on an open forum, based on experience. I have no beef with you. Forums are all about discussion. I bring my experience as a professional Warfighter whose operational background included tremendous time under NVG's to the table. You bring your experience as a hunter who has used NVG's extensively in the field to the same table. With this in mind, we can have professional conversations that can help end users. There are plenty of people that frequent these forums from many different communities.

You are right about the Base Jump helmet not having the VAS Shroud. But, the OP mentioned they had an Ops Core FAST Helmet. "FAST" refers to the entire line of Ops Core helmets. I was unaware that we were specifically talking about the Base Jump.

One don't I have not seen mentioned. Resist the urge to disassemble your PVS-14 to see what makes it tick. Got a box of parts yesterday from a friend. Was a PVS-14. Think it still can be once I get it back together.