• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What optic do you use and why?

powasky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2008
Delaplane, VA
I've been using an old Tasco 4x14 for a while and am going to be upgrading soon. It'll either be one of the Bushnell 6500 Elites or a Sightron SII Big Sky here.

AO is very important for me as a rimfire shooter, and I prefer optics that will focus down to 10 yards. I'm willing to break out for well reviewed scopes that meet my requirements but only focus to 25. The majority of the SIIBS line will focus to 10 and the Bushnell I'm looking at focuses to 10 as well, so that's where I'm looking.

What do you guys use and why? I notice a lot of people here that use the Vortex line, even though they'll only AO down to 50 yds. Doesn't that present a problem when you shoot closer targets? My question applies doubly to those that pick up scopes with fixed parallax.

Re: What optic do you use and why?

Bushnell 3200 Elite fixed 10X mil-mil on my Savage Mk II TR.
I use it because I love MilDot reticles, the turrets run great, hold zero great, inexpensive.

My application is a little narrow, I'm just trying to see how far I can accurately shoot a 22LR. in combination with my EGW 20MOA base, I'm able to plink away at clay pigeons at 200 meters. That, and Ground Squirrels.

when it comes to just running around the forest and shootin rabbits, I'll use a 25 dollar Tasco 4x on my 22WMR, and when I go for Ptarmigan or grouse, just a nice red dot or irons.

But yeah, I prefer fixed power scopes. They don't break, and you don't have something to fiddle with before you make a shot. and as far as power, 10X has done the long range job for me time and again, and short to mid range has been taken care of completely by the fixed 4x.

I don't tend to shoot any closer than 100 meters with my fixed 10x, partly because its not the point of that rifle, and partly because it's almost child's play to shoot anything closer than 150 meters with that rifle. But I can if I need to.

I don't know anything about this AO stuff or Paralax stuff (other than how to guage the exact distance of the earth to the sun using the paralax principle upon the transit of venus), I just tried out my buddy's bushnell, and grabbed one for myself after much oohing and ahhing.

good luck finding the right scope

I'm running Mueller APT 4.5-14's on my CZ 452 .22lr and .17hmr. Seem to be a pretty decent scope for the money.

IMAG1108.jpg

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 mildot

Light, light. and not heavy
Good glass and high power allow me to make out holes at 100 yds
ranging reticle though unfortunately, knobs don't match
Close focus to 35M which works ok on 25m indoor range in the winter
Its also a quality and reliable optic

3-9x50 for the 10/17, LRS-1 MIL/MIL for the heavy .22 MK2, and the extra CP 4-16 I have lying around for the 17hm2 MK2

The 10/17 is very light, so a scope with a simple duplex is enough. The heave .22 will be used for trying to learn range, so 140 MOA and the extra 25 in the base should get me out a good way. 17hm2 MK2 I am hoping will be a crow and rabbit gun, so the mildots will be nice for getting out past 125yards.

I tried a leupold EFR 6.5-20 last year on my .17 HMR and liked

it so much that I've bought two more. One for my .22 mag and the

other one is sitting in my safe waiting for the next rifle.

I paid $625 new for the first one and $500 and $515 used for the

last two.

I run a pair of Simmons on mine, both with 50mm objectives and AO. One WTC 6.5-20, one ProHunter 4-12x. Like 'em both just fine.

I love my vortex crossfire 2 6-18. It has a moa style of reticle with 1/4 minute adjustments.

because i am cheap and try to get the most out of the least, i have a centerpoint 4-16 (older model IMO the better one) on one of my rifles. turns out for 70.00 its really quite clear & repeatable w/ 1/4" adjustments and mildots, adj obj. as this one is used for plinking, some target, and hunting, the 4-16x gives me a good FOV at 30 feet or 200 yards.

because i got hooked on side focus and high magnification for a target / bench queen rifle, i put a Nikko Sterling target master 6-24 on my CZ. alot of scope for around 325.00

on my silhouette rifle, target dot reticle is preferred. cover the target, squeeze, ping.

mostly running a different optic for the duty intended, ranging or holdover, mildots are hard to beat.

going for precision at known distances, target dots or thin crosshairs are the way to go, 1/8" adjustment.

multiple distances, AO or side focus is a must, i prefer the SF as there's no moving away or uncomfortable motions to do to get the image as sharp as it can be. depending on the amount of beginning to ending distances, 1/4" or 1/2" adj gets you there and back quicker with less turret rotation.

i like large objectives for the amount of light that they "suck in", but not as big as to raise the scope off the receiver too high to cause eye alignment / cheek weld problems.

if i had a wish list for a perfect scope:

1. lifetime no jump through hoops warranty

2. 4-24, 8-32X (or more that stays somewhat stays clear at least up to 28x)

3. about 70 moa of elevation

4. 1/4 or 1/2 adjustment with rotation marks for how many times past 0 you went (stadia) on the turret post, with high target style turrets.

5. side focus, 10Y or 25Y to infinity

6. mildot reticle

7. 40-56mm objective for light transmission

8. available sunshade

again as i'm cheap, for under 425.00 - if they made it i'd have it already but they don't so comprimises have to be made.

if nikon put out a 6-24 or 8-32 buckmaster mildot, that would be "the shit"

Like Top Predator, I have an older Centerpoint 4-16 that has served me well for several years. The pros for it include: parallax adjustment down to 5 yards, good magnification range, clear (enough) glass for the price, illuminated mil-dot reticle, light weight and, surprisingly, it's been fairly rugged.

I bought it as a temporary replacement when the scope on my 30.06 went down a few years ago. It held up to the recoil on that rifle without a hiccup. Now, however, it is relegated to rimfire duty.

I recently upgraded from it to a Falcon Menace 4-14 on my bolt action .22lr and am very pleased with it in this role. Pros for it are: Much better glass, side focus, parallax adjustment down to 10 yards, .10 mil turrets, I love the reticle (EMD), and FFP.

I am really liking this set up. It is a heavy scope and doesn't have an illuminated reticle, but I don't notice the weight because the rifle itself is fairly light and never have a need for illumination. So far it seems perfect for my application.

Leupold. Owned 3 MK4's and 5 VXIII's. Never had a single problem with any of them, THAT is why I use them. 2 of my MK4's are 16x models which may explain their ruggedness.

I have a 16X MK4 on my MPR 64. I have never noticed an inability not to focus at 25yds. Can't remember trying but I could let you know. I usually throw a rock if anything gets that close.

Right now I have a SS 10x42 on my plinker. However once NC Star returns my cheap scope I will put it back on the .22. A good buddy has all Leupolds on his .22s and it is amazing to see the difference in clarity and light gathering, especially right at dusk. When I decide to put new glass on the .22 it will be a Leupold.

Leupy Mark-4 16x: because it has elevation adjustment adequate to get me to 450 yards with subsonic ammo on a 25MOA base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(older model IMO the better one) </div></div>

What is the difference? I noticed that they seemed to have more aggressive knobs, but don't know what else was changed

On my CZ 452 Silhouette I run an Elite 3200 5-15 Tactical. On my Ruger 77/22 I run a Burris Fullfield II Tactical 2-7. On My SIG 522 I am using a Bushnell TR 25. Like most other rifles, it depends on my application of said firearm. I LOVE shooting my .22's!!

I have 2 of the CP 4-16's mil-dot reticle. They focus down to 5 yds., and it actually works. The turrets are repeatable, return to zero, and hold zero (on a 22). Has about 50 MOA total adjustment, and with Burris Pos-Align rings/offset inserts i'm netting about 30 MOA out of them. Along with the MD reticle i can get out beyond 300 (~50 MOA) no problem. Love the MD reticle in this optic--7 mil units cald. for 10x, and at 16 becomes 2.25 IPHY between dot centers (as measured). Fine reticle with .2 mil dots (.72 IPHY). The only problem with this optic as far as i can see is the eye relief is very critical at 16x.

Daughter's CZ452 scout has a weaver V16, Kimber 22 has Leopold VIII 6.5-20, Annie 1712 Leopold VIII 6.5-20, Annie 54-18 MSR Sightron SII 6-24, Win 52C Weaver T24.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">because i am cheap and try to get the most out of the least, i have a centerpoint 4-16 (older model IMO the better one) on one of my rifles. turns out for 70.00 its really quite clear & repeatable w/ 1/4" adjustments and mildots, adj obj. as this one is used for plinking, some target, and hunting, the 4-16x gives me a good FOV at 30 feet or 200 yards.

because i got hooked on side focus and high magnification for a target / bench queen rifle, i put a Nikko Sterling target master 6-24 on my CZ. alot of scope for around 325.00

on my silhouette rifle, target dot reticle is preferred. cover the target, squeeze, ping.

mostly running a different optic for the duty intended, ranging or holdover, mildots are hard to beat.

going for precision at known distances, target dots or thin crosshairs are the way to go, 1/8" adjustment.

multiple distances, AO or side focus is a must, i prefer the SF as there's no moving away or uncomfortable motions to do to get the image as sharp as it can be. depending on the amount of beginning to ending distances, 1/4" or 1/2" adj gets you there and back quicker with less turret rotation.

i like large objectives for the amount of light that they "suck in", but not as big as to raise the scope off the receiver too high to cause eye alignment / cheek weld problems.

if i had a wish list for a perfect scope:

1. lifetime no jump through hoops warranty

2. 4-24, 8-32X (or more that stays somewhat stays clear at least up to 28x)

3. about 70 moa of elevation

4. 1/4 or 1/2 adjustment with rotation marks for how many times past 0 you went (stadia) on the turret post, with high target style turrets.

5. side focus, 10Y or 25Y to infinity

6. mildot reticle

7. 40-56mm objective for light transmission

8. available sunshade

again as i'm cheap, for under 425.00 - if they made it i'd have it already but they don't so comprimises have to be made.

if nikon put out a 6-24 or 8-32 buckmaster mildot, that would be "the shit"

</div></div>

TP, have you looked at the Hawke Sidewinder scopes? Although I have never used them personally, several people over at rimfire central seem to like them for their rimfires. If I recall correctly, they have something along the lines of what you specified. I'm not real sure how good their warranty is though.

I have a muller 8x32 it is the best bang for the buck I think. at about 270 it has 1/8 moa adjustments and side parallax adjustment down to 10yd and the glass is good enough for 400yd I don't need anything more than that. it has a plain crosshair. But for the price I don't think you will find anything better.

Hawke Tac 30 20X half mil. Nice adjustments.
Adjustable rings. Good to 300 yards with cci SV.
I am using it as an inch reticule on ~16x. Each dash is 2 inches @100 yards. MUCH better than mils.

I am hoping to get a nightforce someday.

Up to now, I've been using a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 on my Savage MkII TR (my first rimfire). I "just" purchased a Savage 10 FCP HS Precision in .308 (my first center fire) and decided to put an HDMR H59 on it. I've decided to put a Picatinny rail on the TR so that the HDMR can serve double duty, as I'd like to get as much time behind that scope as possible to learn how to use, and get comfortable with, it.

my 40x wears a mueller 8-32x44 I built it for silhouette. It really drives tacks. I have shot it to 200 yards, but much farther than that i run out of elevation.
IMG_3386.jpg

my 10/22's wear mueller APT's

I have a mueller 3-10 Tac II on my Savage TR because I had it laying around in my safe. I want to replace it with something FFP but I'm undecided at this point. I would love to put a Bushnell 3-21 G2DMR on it so that my 22 matches my Rem 700 which has the G2DMR on it

I have 2 Horus Predator 8-26x50 FFP IPHY/IPHY. One on the Anschutz and one on the 10-22 Race rifle.

The interesting thing about them are the amount of holdover in the reticle and the travel combined. Can't remember but something like 140 IPHY. I hardly dial but holdover/holdoff instead.

I also bought a Midway BSA 4-14 FFP mil/mil to put on one of the PCP air rifles. For $250 I'd buy another. It even tracks decent.

They have it back to 250 plus free shipping on optics last I checked. Will probably pick one up next time I order from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 Horus Predator 8-26x50 FFP IPHY/IPHY. One on the Anschutz and one on the 10-22 Race rifle.

The interesting thing about them are the amount of holdover in the reticle and the travel combined. Can't remember but something like 140 IPHY. I hardly dial but holdover/holdoff instead.

</div></div>

I also have 1 of these, but haven't put it on anything yet. Man it is one big heavy optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also bought a Midway BSA 4-14 FFP mil/mil to put on one of the PCP air rifles. For $250 I'd buy another. It even tracks decent. </div></div>

I forgot to mention that it has a 10y parallax.

Well, am about to see just how much difference a better scope makes.
Back in the spring I purchased a Savage 93FVSS (heavy barrel, syth stock) with the cheap...ohhh, I should say inexpensive Bushnell 3-9x.
Have been averaging 1.4" at 100m, but was hoping for an honest to god 1MOA.
So yesterday I anted up and purchased this: http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes/sidewinder-tactical.html
It's in the mail and should arrive Monday...a couple of sleepless nights are in store ;-)

2 Bushnell 3-12 FFP G2DMRs: 1 sits on my Edgun .25 air rifle and one sits on the 10/22. Very good glass, love the G2DMR reticle, excellent tracking, and they do have side parallax down to 10Y. Slightly touchy eyebox at 11-12x but that's about my only complaint.

2 SWFA 5-20HDs: 1 on the Sako Quad in .22LR and the second sits on top of another Sako Quad in .17HMR. Excellent glass and tracking, good reticle, 35Y parallax, and tons of elevation travel (about 32 mils) if you like reaching out with your .22.

The 10/22 has a custom 50MOA base I machined that gives 18 mils of available elevation from a 50Y zero (21 mil total travel in the Bushnell 3-12) and on the .22LR Sako Quad I'm using a 20MOA base plus Burris Signature Zee rings for additional cant which leaves about 24 mils of total elevation available from a 50Y zero. Every now and then I like shooting steel with the .22's at 300-400 yards; with the 10/22 I can get out to about 350 on just the turret (and still have lots of additional elevation in the G2DMR reticle) and on the Sako Quad I've shot at 400 and still had about 4 mils of elevation travel left.

You mentioned Hawke... I tried a Hawke Sidewinder Tactical on a friend's RWS air rifle earlier this year and wasn't impressed. The glass was pretty decent but the turrets were really mushy and didn't track worth a damn-- not to mention the point of impact would jump around every 5-10 shots. Then again it was mounted on top of an RWS 56TH (a magnum springer air rifle) which is a horrible environment for any scope. If it was on top of a .22LR it probably would have been just fine. Quite a few guys on the air rifle message boards have very good luck with their Hawke scopes and like them; hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did. I attribute most of the problems with the Hawke I tried to the springer air rifle it was mounted to.

I have a vortex crossfire on my Savage 22WMR I have actually shot it out to 300 yds what a blast, seems like it tracks well and reasonably priced

what optic do I use : Bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 DOA 600 reticle

Why: They can be had for 179 bux at natchez and have a 75 dollar rebate

So for 104 bux you can have a really nice japanese optic on your 22 with enough elevation to get to 300 yards or so.

I've got a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil scope on mine that really seems to do well. Dials out to 200 pretty easy with a no-cant base.

I have a Bushnell Elite 5-15 Tactical on my CZ 452 Silhouette cuz I got it NIB for $145. Obviously the price was right!
smile.gif

I also have a Burris Fullfield II 2-7 Tactical on my Ruger 77/22. I love them both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chuck, what made you choose the PA FFP over the BSA or FM FFP? </div></div>

I've been a big fan of Primary Arms quality in the past. I figured at a $250 w/ butler creeks it'd be a decent gamble.

So far, I really like the scope. I have no experience with the BSA or the FM, but figured with PA's customer service, I'd have no problems should any issues arise.