• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What optic for 3 Gun Competition?

merc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2010
Texas
What optic do you suggest for shooting 3 Gun Competition? Most target engagements will be anywhere from 15-300 yards.

Re: What optic for 3 Gun Competition?

Burris XTR 1-4x24

Acogs would be a good choice. Fast target aquisition with great accuracy

i have used a eotechs, acogs, and currently use a millett dms not the best but i like it. will be getting a leupold or trijicon accupoint when funds are available. the 1x is money close in compared to acog, and 4 power is good for distance compared to eotech, any 1x to 4/5 power scope in a larue mount is the way to go

Check out the new reticle for the Leupold MK4 1.5-5 advertised on the hide (cmp). Its a bullet drop unlike the SPR ret. I used the SPR model for a couple of years and didn't really like it, but liked the scope. Another to look at is the IOR 1.5-8.I haven't seen one personally, but it looks good on the web. Whatever I got it would have a 30mm main tube.

Re: Elcan Spectre DR

I really like the Nightforce 1-4. anyone here run one?

I'v ben using one for a while - FC-2 reticle,I love it, I'v shot it out to 450, but didn't get the hit, not the scopes fault, but I'll be shooting some bigger matches with longer shots out to 600, so I have a US Optic SN-4 with Erik Lunds Reticle coming my way, it has BDC set up for a 69gr doing 2850,I'm still going to use the NF in smaller matches

Erik runs a USO SN4 and he also owns a Specter DR. There is a reason he chooses the USO over the Specter. The FOV with a SN4 is awesome and so is the eye relief. Erik just left here yesterday and he said he should have his new USO with his own reticle at the house waiting for him. He said he might send one my way to review after I wrap up this review on this Vortex Razor HD 1-4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the ACOG TA11 with the chevron reticle. </div></div>

1+ ACOG TA11, but with RMR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO 1-4 </div></div>

+1

A good 1-4x optic would work. Our Team uses the S&B Short Dots with the MGM Switchview cat tail.

Short Dot.

They aint cheap, but nothing involving 3-gun is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short Dot.

They aint cheap, but nothing involving 3-gun is. </div></div>

The Millett clone is - just don't plan on hitting anything with it.

nightforce 1-4, swarovski 1-6 with brt reticle, personally i second the 1-8 short dot, but i want to put hands on it before i commit to it.

This is what I use and would even if I didn't work for Vortex.I also use a mgm switchview.

rzr-hd_1-4x24_ebr_f-t.jpg

Optical Features
First Focal Plane Subtensions remain consistent throughout magnification range.

APO Objective Lens System Corrects color across the entire visual color spectrum—virtually eliminating chromatic aberration across the entire field of view.

Optically Indexed Lenses Delivers optimum image sharpness and brightness with true reticle use for full ranging and holdover from edge to edge because of computer-controlled alignment during construction.

XD Lens Elements Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass enhances resolution, color, and contrast.

XR Lens Coatings Vortex XR proprietary anti-reflection lens coatings increase light transmission with multiple coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.

Construction Features:
30 mm Tube Provides greater strength and wider adjustment lattitude as compared to a 1-inch tube.

One-Piece Tube Maximizes alignment for improved accuracy and optimum visual performance as well as strength and waterproofness.

Aircraft-Grade Aluminum Construction from a solid block of 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum delivers increased strength and rigidity.

Waterproof O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the tube for reliable performance in all environments.

Fogproof Filled with argon gas to inhibit internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures.

Shockproof Lenses are locked in place, fore and aft, with machined locking rings to remain in perfect alignment and resist impact.

Hard Anodized Finish Type-3 hard-coat anodization is durable; the low-glare matte surface of Stealth Shadow Black helps camouflage the shooter’s position.

ArmorTek Ultra-hard, scratch-resistant coating repels oils and corrosive salts on outer glass surfaces.

Internal Mechanism Design Features:
Tall Uncapped Turrets Make range calculation and shooting adjustments fast and accurate with subtension marks that match the reticle.

First Focal Plane Reticle Scale of reticle remains in proportion to the zoomed image. Constant subtensions allow accurate holdover and ranging at all magnifications—no shift in point of impact during zoom.

Friction Reduction System Provides superior durability, repeatability and accuracy for the life of the product. Prevents galling or deformation of the erector screw contact point because the heat-treated, hardened-steel pad floats on the end of the turret screw and interfaces with a hardened steel ring on the erector tube for steel-on-steel contact. Patent pending.
Turret Screws Provides low-friction, wear-resistant performance: precision-machined from a silicon-brass alloy and treated with an advanced dry-film lubricant. Turret screw threads are ultra-precision machined to sub-2 micron tolerances (less than 78-millionths of an inch). Ultra-smooth operation and adjustments.

Erector Tube System Precision-machined from premium brass alloy with anti-galling properties for great strength and durability. The erector spring of chromium vanadium withstands compression, has high fatigue resistance, and is tumble-polished to a mirror finish for micro-precise elevation and windage adjustments.
Single Spring Construction Fully constrains (without over-constraining) the optical system for predictable, improved accuracy throughout the range of elevation adjustment.

Glass-etched Reticle Protected between two layers of glass (not made from wire) for optimum durability and reliability.

Illuminated Reticle Electronic illumination aids in low light visibility of reticle. Battery included.

Illumination Control Can be turned on or off with a single click between each intensity level—allowing access to a preferred illumination setting without having to progress through each intensity level.

Convenience Features:
MagView Bar Combines a fiber optics magnification indicator with raised rear-facing magnification references for clear viewing in low light conditions. Patent pending.

Radius Bar Fiber optic turret rotation indicator provides illuminated and tactile point of reference for turret rotations. Patent pending.

Fast Focus Eyepiece Allows quick and easy reticle focusing.

Flip Cap Covers Protect ocular and objective lenses.

Here are the reticle choices. I use the EBR-556. The drops work damn near perfect with 55's and hot 77's like the 262 mod o's .I can get it satisfactory with just about any 223 round 55gr and up. The reticle is set up for quick ranging if necessary,10mph wind hold offs and holdovers of course. It really works great!

sub_razor-hd_ebr-556_details.jpg

sub_razor-hd_cqmr-1_details.jpg

Scott

1-4 illuminated scope are getting lots of attention from manufactures right now. Other options not mentioned are; Pride Fowler, (both 1-4 and 1-6), Vortex 1-4 PST, (not yet available), Super Sniper, (not yet available)and Leatherwood 1-4.

Depends on what division you are going to shoot in.

USPSA now allows a 1x optic in the Limited division where it used to be irons only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What magnification is that scope Scott? I may be missing it but do not see it said above. </div></div>It is a 1-4 FFP.

Scott

I am currently running a 1.5X5 Leupold. Looking for something similar with a mil-dot reticle. Does such an animal exist.

Thanks

Jerry

F*** your gone to cost me some serious money here!...lol

Thanks for the link.

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F*** your gone to cost me some serious money here!...lol

Thanks for the link.

Jerry </div></div>

Your welcome. If your not in a hurry the Super Sniper looks good. Only 1-4 but good illumination and mil/mil. Rumered to run about $700-800. It is "months" away from release.

I still cannot decide which scope, especially with all these companies that are close to releasing something else!

So, will 4x (like most 1-4x scopes) ((hell lupy has a 1.5-5X)) will the 4X be good for say 800 meters?

Depends on target size. Tough on an MOA sized target but on a full sized IPSC target it would work.

is the 1.5-5 lupy that much of a better trade off of most 4x scopes?

that 1.5 isnt as desirable as the 1x... but if that 5x makes that much of a differenc over the 4x...

Thoughts anyone?!

Disclaimer:
There are allot more experienced people here than me, so here goes.

In the Tactical Division you are allowed one optic. Ideally you would want a 1X (no magnification)for the close shots - five yards in the last match. The problem as I see it is when you move out to 350 yards +/- for the big matches you need more power (IMO) than 4 also it would be nice to have a Mil dot reticle as I am running that on my other rifles and can't think in MOA. Some people run larger optics like 2.5X8 or 3X9 and have their iron sights off set mounted on their float tube. While this is a solution I was looking for that perfect scope. I compromised on the 1.5X5 Leupold and have data out to 400 BUT the 400 yard target was big. I am not sure I would do well on those tiny man shaped IPSC targets.

Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry.

It seems all the reading I've done on the '1-4' style optics are good to just that 3-400m.

Why does the good stuff cost so much?

If you are looking for a scope that will shoot 1moa or better at 500+ then a one to four probably isnt what you are looking for, but for three gun I have no problem at all out to 600(obviously I am talking prone shots here) even using cheapo 55gr fmj's. Dont get me wrong a little more power wouldnt hurt, but it is very doable and gets it done just fine.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for a scope that will shoot 1moa or better at 500+ then a one to four probably isnt what you are looking for, but for three gun I have no problem at all out to 600(obviously I am talking prone shots here) even using cheapo 55gr fmj's. Dont get me wrong a little more power wouldnt hurt, but it is very doable and gets it done just fine.

Scott </div></div>

Scott,

Please get one out that bumps the power up, FFP, and MIL.....pretty pretty please.....

Guys do yourself a favor, look at where you will possibly be shooting 3 gun matches at. Unless they have a spot for you to shoot 4 to 500 there is no need to worry about a scope tht will do it.

Most 3 gun matches will have minimal targets out at distance because most places simply dont have the set up for it.

Area 6 multigun looks to be having a stage with shots out to 200, which is probably more of the norm for most matches. Further shots are far and few between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys do yourself a favor, look at where you will possibly be shooting 3 gun matches at. Unless they have a spot for you to shoot 4 to 500 there is no need to worry about a scope tht will do it.

Most 3 gun matches will have minimal targets out at distance because most places simply dont have the set up for it.

Area 6 multigun looks to be having a stage with shots out to 200, which is probably more of the norm for most matches. Further shots are far and few between. </div></div>

This is very true. Unless you are shooting the bigger matches like the MGM Ironman,FN/CMMG Midwest,etc.. ,but even in those you dont see much past 3 or 4 and there are very few of those.

Chiller,
You know we are never sitting idle here
grin.gif

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys do yourself a favor, look at where you will possibly be shooting 3 gun matches at...... </div></div>

This makes sence. I guess I can do it all with irons then!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: merc308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What optic do you suggest for shooting 3 Gun Competition? Most target engagements will be anywhere from 15-300 yards.</div></div>

This is the original post. Everything in between should tell you that the "holy grail" of 3-gun or carbine match scopes has not been developed. Many good choices out there and lots of people have their favorites.

Generally, a low power variable is preferred with the low end at or as close to 1x as possible for the close up stuff. 4-5x on the top end is plenty b/c the long distance targets (200yds and out) are generally 10" steel flash targets and that's plenty of magnification for those.

Regarding the top end magnification, I don't think you necessarily need more power, what you need is clearer glass. Rifle stages at these matches usually have you shooting from funky positions vs nice, steady prone. Too much magnification will make that reticle very difficult to hold still!

Another feature that is becoming increasingly popular is daytime illumination. Unfortunately, very few low power variables offer this feature. It is nice as you can turn the magnification down to the lowest setting, turn on the illumination and you've basically got a dot set up (EoTech, Aimpoint) which is fantastic for the close "fast and furious" stuff.

Low power variables are nice for more than just the long distance shots (200+yds). It's nice to have a bit of magnification for head shots at 50-75yds or MGM mini-poppers at 100yds.

Every scope out there will have people tell you its great for xyz reason. There will also be people that don't like the same scope for xyz reason. I run a Short Dot with cat tail. Many feel this is the best optic for 3-gun (including me). Many will also tell you they don't like it b/c it:

1) Too expensive
2) FFP (Second focal plane is better for 3-gun)
3) Don't like the reticle
4) Too heavy/bulky

Another resource you can check out for info on optics for 3-gun is the Brian Enos multigun forums. Many discussions there on many optics for 3-gun.

The best advice I could give you is to decide what features are important to you based on what you like and the type matches you plan to shoot then buy a scope that best fits your needs that is in your price range. Then, more importantly, take it to the range, practice with it and get comfortable with it.

Clear glass and a large FOV at the higher powers is the most important thing for me.

We normally shoot out to 400-425 every month. Minimal targets inside 50 yards.

Call me crazy but I like an aimpoint M3 2MOA with an aimpoint 3Power magnifier....in a Larue flip mount. Its fast and the setup is around the same price as a short dot scope and a descent mount.
I've also got an Eotech with their Gen 2 magnifier but I really am not as happy with it though. The new magnifier is not as clear as the Aimpoint glass.
I know there are many ways to gear up, this is just what works for me right now.
Thanks.

I'm thinking about going with a Meopta K Dot in LaRue Mount. Or the Trijicon TR24-R in LaRue mount.

meopta k dot for me.

true 1-4x, excellent clarity, daytime bright reticle, reticle can be used as a bdc, won't break the bank, excellent customer service.